Cold Water vs Hot Water

BigJohn1795

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'm still very green to Muay Thai and all but in my training so far I've already ran into sore shins. Some of my team mates swear by cold baths and ice packs. They say that's the best YET even a week later their shins STILL HURT. I've learned the hot water method from Slyvie of 8 Limbs and that with Knot Rubbing (that's what I call it) and it works good for me. It hurts like a mug but I recover faster. So it seems obvious hot water method is better for shin recovery and it's what the Thais themselves use. How come the west believes in cold water? Is it better? I don't think it is but I'm green too and don't know everything. I have a lot to learn. What do you use? For now I'm sticking with the Thai way of it.

newer science says less or no ice

newer science says less or no ice
I started reading on the science but didn't find much because the google results came up about drinking and not for the muscles. I might could try different words to get a better result.

I'm still very green to Muay Thai and all but in my training so far I've already ran into sore shins. Some of my team mates swear by cold baths and ice packs. They say that's the best YET even a week later their shins STILL HURT. I've learned the hot water method from Slyvie of 8 Limbs and that with Knot Rubbing (that's what I call it) and it works good for me. It hurts like a mug but I recover faster. So it seems obvious hot water method is better for shin recovery and it's what the Thais themselves use. How come the west believes in cold water? Is it better? I don't think it is but I'm green too and don't know everything. I have a lot to learn. What do you use? For now I'm sticking with the Thai way of it.
In my experience, you need both. Soak them in lukewarm water in the bath. Then, turn it down to the coldest water possible and keep it running on your shins for 1 minute. Then, slowly turn up the heat until it's as hot as you can take without it burning your skin off, and keep it like that for another 1 minute. Do this on and off for about 3-5 cycles. Always end with ice cold water and/or ice packs as to avoid inflammation. Take a break from training for a few days as well. It should subside in time. Also try Tiger Balm on the affected area.

In my experience, you need both. Soak them in lukewarm water in the bath. Then, turn it down to the coldest water possible and keep it running on your shins for 1 minute. Then, slowly turn up the heat until it's as hot as you can take without it burning your skin off, and keep it like that for another 1 minute. Do this on and off for about 3-5 cycles. Always end with ice cold water and/or ice packs as to avoid inflammation. Take a break from training for a few days as well. It should subside in time. Also try Tiger Balm on the affected area.
I'll have to try that method next time. I've been looking at tiger oil and other namman/liniment oil. There's a local shop that sells some products like it I believe so I'm going to go by there today and check them out.

Are you kicking concrete? Can't recall having sore shins from hitting the heavy bag or pads. I used to get a sore instep/foot and found the best was to ice it after training, then apply boxing liniment (namman) before training.

I'll have to try that method next time. I've been looking at tiger oil and other namman/liniment oil. There's a local shop that sells some products like it I believe so I'm going to go by there today and check them out.
Hope it heals up quickly.
This method worked for me when I had shin splints (too much skipping and running with uncomfortable shoes).
What caused your shins to get sore?

Are you kicking concrete? Can't recall having sore shins from hitting the heavy bag or pads. I used to get a sore instep/foot and found the best was to ice it after training, then apply boxing liniment (namman) before training.
I'm kicking a 100lb heavy bag that's been hanging a while and is fairly solid. It's not rock hard but it's pretty stiff.

Hope it heals up quickly.
This method worked for me when I had shin splints (too much skipping and running with uncomfortable shoes).
What caused your shins to get sore?
Heavy bag work. I got my friends heavy bag that's been hanging a while so most of the sand filling is on the bottom end. I did this http://8limbs.us/blog/treating-shins-for-recovery-knots-bruises-bumps-muay-thai method after kicking the bag, 15 good kicks each leg. It feels pretty good right now, I kicked it on Monday and it's a little sore today on Wednesday but I can touch it and everything and it isn't a horrible pain just sore. I mean I was able to walk Monday night after that and went to work yesterday

I'm a hot water man myself. That's for injuries though. That shit saved my feet/shins more than once. For just general soreness I prefer to go back and forth between real hot and real cold. I used to go to a spa for that though. Usually Korean and Russian spas have both pools of water.

I'm a hot water man myself. That's for injuries though. That shit saved my feet/shins more than once. For just general soreness I prefer to go back and forth between real hot and real cold. I used to go to a spa for that though. Usually Korean and Russian spas have both pools of water.

I'm going to try a cold water method next time. It maybe it depends on the person but right now I'm sold on hot. Lol we barely have 1 spa here let alone different kinds

I kick the heavybags before and after each classes. Sometimes take off shinpads when doing drills and going very light with the partners. Never used ice packs, but I do use a CBD rub on my shins which helps almost immedietly.

My old gym had me kicking support beams wrapped in pads (lol) and it hurt at first but at the end it actually helped me out a bit. Old coach would discuss "wolfs law" before every time because there was always someone ready to complain about the exercise.

I kick the heavybags before and after each classes. Sometimes take off shinpads when doing drills and going very light with the partners. Never used ice packs, but I do use a CBD rub on my shins which helps almost immedietly.

My old gym had me kicking support beams wrapped in pads (lol) and it hurt at first but at the end it actually helped me out a bit. Old coach would discuss "wolfs law" before every time because there was always someone ready to complain about the exercise.

Wolfs law?

Yup, this exactly what I do. Hot/cold showers are the shit.

Whats making your shins so sore? Other than from fights i've never had sore shins to the point where i couldn't train

Whats making your shins so sore? Other than from fights i've never had sore shins to the point where i couldn't train
I can still train. They're just a little sore time from time after kicking the bag and we sparred once this week and they were a little sore then but nothing terrible. I wanted to learn about shin care though before anything major did come?

Ive they arent hindering you in any way then who cares. I never felt anything during a fight with adrenaline. That being said im pretty much useless for a couple of weeks after.

Ive they arent hindering you in any way then who cares. I never felt anything during a fight with adrenaline. That being said im pretty much useless for a couple of weeks after.
I felt it them some during drills but nothing horrible. That's why I want to learn proper care now before I get into a lot of sparring and fighting so I'm not completely useless. Thai's fight and train a lot so there has to be a method to it.

Back