Colby vs Rodolfo Vieira

Ricky the Hicky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So Colby said on a podcast that he ragdolled Rodolfo at ATT when he rocked up a few moons ago. Under straight jiu-jitsu rules apparently. Said he'd win ADCC without having to train at all

It was on the MMA roasted podcast if I remember correctly.

@Adam Hunter

Yeah that’s why In a Mma fight he avoid going to the ground with Maia Like a plage...

The dude is an idiot... but under current adcc rules, he probably could just wrestle his way to the gold.

He would out-wrestle Vieira for sure, but he probably avoided any chance of half-guard,full guard.. he probably just took him down and backed out lol

he seriously needs to get his ass kicked

Yeah that’s why In a Mma fight he avoid going to the ground with Maia Like a plage...

The dude is an idiot... but under current adcc rules, he probably could just wrestle his way to the gold.
i bet he could win adcc tbh he will be 2 times the athlete of anyone in his division at 77 kg

I don't think he would have much of a chance at ADCC. He can wrestle, but I doubt many people would wrestle with him. They'd just sit down before points started and then sweep, submit or rack up advantages on him. Although I'm sure he could out wrestle Veira, I think he was just lying. I wouldn't be surprised if they never even rolled together and it was just a made up story.

i bet he could win adcc tbh he will be 2 times the athlete of anyone in his division at 77 kg

its not the athlete thing what makes the difference.... Do you think marcelo garcia was half the athlete mike van arsdale was?

the thing is the new rules favor wrestling too much, the moment you cant pull guard without being penalized it shift thw whole game...

basically you can orlando Sanchez your way to gold these days...

I don't think he would have much of a chance at ADCC. He can wrestle, but I doubt many people would wrestle with him. They'd just sit down before points started and then sweep, submit or rack up advantages on him. Although I'm sure he could out wrestle Veira, I think he was just lying. I wouldn't be surprised if they never even rolled together and it was just a made up story.

you cant sit your ass down on the finals without losing a point, even in the no points part, you can get negative points for pulling guard, the lack of stalling calls on the stand up makes stalling way too easy..

Man what a bullshitter. Ben Henderson is really good submission grappler for being known as an mma guy and watch him at adcc against rodolfo.

The simplest answer is probably the correct one in this case: he's lying.

its not the athlete thing what makes the difference.... Do you think marcelo garcia was half the athlete mike van arsdale was?

the thing is the new rules favor wrestling too much, the moment you cant pull guard without being penalized it shift thw whole game...

but at hat time Marcelo waslike 4 times the grappler in jujitsu and subs as van colby is at least a brown belt level in grappling to van artsdales probably blue belt level at that time in 2003 marcelo destroyed everyone due to being super ahead of his time for that era

Hmm,

Kinda like when he couldn't take RDA down consistently or hold him down then claimed "Rafa was Greasing".

Does ADCC actually have new rules though? I don't think they do. I think the general strategy for finals matches really shifted around 2011 and then for sure in 2013 and beyond but if you are referencing the rule where in the finals matches you can still get a -1 for pulling guard in the first half of the match, I think that has always been the case. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I used to think the rules changed but can't find any evidence for it. I think people just started gaming the system more.

you cant sit your ass down on the finals without losing a point, even in the no points part, you can get negative points for pulling guard, the lack of stalling calls on the stand up makes stalling way too easy..
My only counter point to that would be that he would have to make it to the finals. I agree that adcc finals matches greatly favor wrestlers but getting past the murderer's row of submission grapplers to get to the finals is the difficult part. We've had very good MMA grapplers like Ben Askren, Chris Weidman, Jon Fitch, Hecor Lombard, Ben Henderson, and lots of others not even make the semis. Jake Shields made the semis one year but just lost in the first match last year against a guy nobody really knew.

I guess my take away is that in theory I think there are a lot of good MMA fighters with a wrestling base that could try a Rustam Chsiev strategy but most of them either don't try it or if they do it doesn't work for them. It doesn't even always work for Rustam. He's taken out some medalists over the years like Lovato Jr and Orlando Sanchez but I don't think he's ever gotten on the podium himself.

Adcc is also not too bad with the stalling calls. Way better than ibjjf. Leandro Lo almost got DQ'd for stalling against Gordon Ryan in their superfight. He was out of stalling cards and the next stall call would've seen him lose the match. So leading up to the finals if someone just sat down Colby would be forced to engage their guard and the refs are pretty good about stalling calls during the ground fighting portion of the matches. Coby would be 77kg. You also gotta think he'd be matched up against a high seed guy like Lepri, JT, Vagner, Ramos, Durinho, Tonon, or someone like that. That's just 6 names but I'd favor all them to beat Colby.

Last edited:
Does ADCC actually have new rules though? I don't think they do. I think the general strategy for finals matches really shifted around 2011 and then for sure in 2013 and beyond but if you are referencing the rule where in the finals matches you can still get a -1 for pulling guard in the first half of the match, I think that has always been the case. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I used to think the rules changed but can't find any evidence for it. I think people just started gaming the system more.

The negative point for pulling guard in the first half was introduced in 2015 if I’m not mistaken... this past adcc stalling wasn’t that bad, but 2015 was a travesty... they problably didn’t want another player to Orlando his way to gold...

My only counter point to that would be that he would have to make it to the finals. I agree that adcc finals matches greatly favor wrestlers but getting past the murderer's row of submission grapplers to get to the finals is the difficult part. We've had very good MMA grapplers like Ben Askren, Chris Weidman, Jon Fitch, Hecor Lombard, Ben Henderson, and lots of others not even make the semis. Jake Shields made the semis one year but just lost in the first match last year against a guy nobody really knew.

I guess my take away is that in theory I think there are a lot of good MMA fighters with a wrestling base that could try a Rustam Chsiev strategy but most of them either don't try it or if they do it doesn't work for them. It doesn't even always work for Rustam. He's taken out some medalists over the years like Lovato Jr and Orlando Sanchez but I don't think he's ever gotten on the podium himself.

Adcc is also not too bad with the stalling calls. Way better than ibjjf. Leandro Lo almost got DQ'd for stalling against Gordon Ryan in their superfight. He was out of stalling cards and the next stall call would've seen him lose the match. So leading up to the finals if someone just sat down Colby would be forced to engage their guard and the refs are pretty good about stalling calls during the ground fighting portion of the matches. Coby would be 77kg. You also gotta think he'd be matched up against a high seed guy like Lepri, JT, Vagner, Ramos, Durinho, Tonon, or someone like that. That's just 6 names but I'd favor all them to beat Colby.

Didn’t know Ben did adcc...

but at hat time Marcelo waslike 4 times the grappler in jujitsu and subs as van colby is at least a brown belt level in grappling to van artsdales probably blue belt level at that time in 2003 marcelo destroyed everyone due to being super ahead of his time for that era

Mike had to be doing subbgrappling for years by 2003.. he was fighting Mma In 1998... a wrestler of his caliber shouldn’t take 5 years to get to blue...

Mike had to be doing subbgrappling for years by 2003.. he was fighting Mma In 1998... a wrestler of his caliber shouldn’t take 5 years to get to blue...
didnt u also agree that the level of jiu jitsu back then was no where near what it was today? he was no where near as technical as guys today again garcia destroyed everyone eh also put vitor shaolin to sleep in 30 seconds in that same tournament and vitor was no joke back then that is why a lot of russians and american wrestlers sue to enter adcc and do very well from 1998-2003 due to people not being very good with no gi and the systems till being in its infancy

Back