Cody Garbrandt wants to knockout Conor McGregor in boxing, defeat Demetrious Johnson after UFC 217

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KevinLee, Oct 19, 2017.

1. KevinLee Green Belt

KevinLee
    [​IMG]
    Cody Garbrandt knows he has a tough task ahead of him against T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 217 on Nov. 4, 2017 in New York City, but that hasn’t stopped “No Love” from talking about his plans beyond his upcoming title defense.

Speaking to ESPN, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Bantamweight champion says he wouldn’t mind mixing it up with Conor McGregor inside the boxing ring, as he is confident he can do what Floyd Mayweather was unable to, and that’s knock “Notorious” out cold.

"I'll go in there and knock Conor the f—k out in boxing," Garbrandt said. "Let's be honest. There's no difference in a southpaw [McGregor's fighting stance] or orthodox. That guy could come out and fight on his hands for all I give a f—k. I would knock him out, and that's it,” he added.
    I've got T.J. ahead of me. He's a great adversary to level up on. I'm excited to go in there and take out T.J., and whoever else -- 'Mighty Mouse' [Johnson], Conor. You can give me top boxers, Adrien Broner, Mikey Garcia. I would love to get in the ring with them."

UFC 217: Cody Garbrandt says T.J. Dillashaw is like a ‘prostitute on a corner’ bouncing around from gyms[/paste:font]
    Of course, the more realistic fight Cody says can (and should) happen is one between him and current UFC Flyweight champion and pound-for-pound GOAT, Demetrious Johnson, in his quest to become a two-division champion.

"I think the fight to make after I demolish T.J. is to go down to 125 pounds and become a two-weight world champion," Garbrandt said. "That would be for my career and my legacy -- and for him too. He needs a big fight.”

Should that be the case, Garbrandt has no issues in allowing an interim title fight to go down while he takes care of business in a lighter weight class, only to come back and unify the 135-pound straps.

"Cruz and T.J. can fight for an interim title. I'll go down to 125, and then beat up the winner of that [interim title fight]. That's how I see it playing out."

MMA MASTER and Vicky like this.
  2. sirmorbach These violent delights have violent ends

sirmorbach
    I'm a Conor fan, but yeah, Cody is probably one of the few UFC fighters who wouldn't be totally embarrassed in boxing matches.

Vicky, binny and Übermacht like this.
  3. XThe GreatestX Black Belt

XThe GreatestX
    Well he might be able to beat conor in boxing but broner and garcia would fuck him up badly.

Like really badly

4. KevinLee Green Belt

KevinLee
    Against Adrien Broner and Mikey Garcia he would get embarrassed. I think he can take Conor in boxing though.

sirmorbach likes this.
  5. Frank McEdgar SHERDOG

Frank McEdgar
    Cody will be very sad and damaged after TJ whoops his ass gorilla style.

Maybe BJ will fight him at 145

<mma4>

MMA MASTER likes this.
  6. XThe GreatestX Black Belt

XThe GreatestX
    I favor tj as well tbh. Hes better than cody in almost every facet

Frank McEdgar likes this.
  7. SCTwins Brown Belt

SCTwins
    LMAO

I like Cody, but this a dumb suggestion. Let's have our MMA fighters start fighting in boxing matches against each other instead of MMA.

What could possibly go wrong?

DorianGray likes this.
  8. Dead Kennedy Don't steal, the government hates competition

Dead Kennedy
    No more boxing matches...

[​IMG]

9. A.S. Deep Purple Belt

A.S. Deep
    Cody had an Ammy Boxing record of 32-1. He'd probably beat Conor in a boxing match based off the Conor's kryptonite that is "Composure."

Jackie Blue likes this.
  10. DatSamboKid Brown Belt

DatSamboKid
    I love the idea of dropping down to 125. It would be an amazing fight.

Fatal Catro likes this.
  11. Yari ななせまる

Yari
    If he's willing to go down to 125 to fight DJ then godbless him, I hope he wins against TJ.
    Fuck champions that are playing it safe sitting in their divisions.

Vicky, KevinLee and Fatal Catro like this.
  12. Fatal Catro Black Belt

Fatal Catro
    Cody is a better boxer but the size and reach would probably be too much for him.

13. The Witcher відродитися

The Witcher
    Garbrandt wouldnt land a punch on conor in boxing or mma. Stay in your lane kid

14. KevinLee Green Belt

KevinLee
    DJ didnt wanna fight TJ lol. If Cody beats Tj doubt DJ fights him.

15. Franc Mittelo Green Belt

Franc Mittelo
    Why are these big guys calling out Mighty Johnson? Cody should be calling out Max Holloway and Tony Ferguson.

People want to use their size advantage to say "I beat Mighty Johnson, one the greatest ever." LOL

Mighty Johnson should stay at 125 were he belongs. The only times he lost was because of a very significant size discrepancy.

Champions move up or stay in their own weight class, they don't call out people from lower weight classes.

16. TheTopContender Yellow Card

TheTopContender
  17. MacGregor Blue Belt

MacGregor
    Can't see Cody winning the 125, then moving up. It'll kill the division. Good thing it draws well.

18. Fatal Catro Black Belt

Fatal Catro
    He has a big reach advantage over Cody, but Cody has the superior technique and more boxing experience.
    I do think the reach would be too much in the end but it certainly wouldn't be as easy for Conor as you seem to believe.

Danespina likes this.
  19. MakeSherdogGreatAgain Orange Belt

MakeSherdogGreatAgain
    Cody is delusional. They have weight classes for a reason and he's no Mayweather. He better keep his eyes on the prize. TJ has been sparring with Lomachenko...Cody is nowhere near Lomachenko's level. It's Cody's future...I see him getting his ass handed to him. We already know he's a little chinny, and he's fighting a guy that's, not only one of the best in the world, but he's been boxing with the best boxer in the world right now. Cody is probably getting slept.

This reminds me of the Ronda fighting men talk.

20. Yari ななせまる

Yari
    Fair enough, but if he's presented a champion on a silver plate as a challenge, making a superfight, he's going to look pretty stupid if he doesn't take it.