Cody Garbrandt confirms he's not a racist.

Thank you for weighing in with the critical theory 101 bullshit. Unfortunately, that nonsense has no foundation in the real world. Anyone can be racist, including black people. Racism itself has nothing to do with 'power'. Racism is prejudice, prejudice based on race to be exact. The fact that you're trying to draw a distinction between the two tells me you don't have a great understanding of the word, either.

I don't understand the word because I explained the definition correctly, that makes sense. Just because you choose to ignore the meaning because it's easier to use racism on a day to day basis doesn't change it's fundamental meaning. A person hating another person due to nothing but skin color is not racist, that is prejudice. A person using their position of power to undermine and subjugate a person for no reason other than ethnicity is racism. It's really not hard to understand.

Eminem still has difficulty being accepted by the rap community in some circles because he's white, that's not racism, it's prejudice because Eminem could still be signed by countless labels because the vast majority have white owners.

Jim Crow laws kept blacks segregated, that was racism as it was an enforced law that subjugated a people. A black family getting dirty looks and told they aren't wanted in a neighborhood isn't racist, it's prejudice.

Last edited:
fuck racists and those pulling its card to win an argument.

No because you are trying to change the definition of the word, It would be prejudice on their part but it is not racist because racism is defined by power.
its defined by acts against race the giveaway is in the name

this is stupid. he called him boy even I (from South America now living in Europe) know that saying shit like get in line boy can be a racist term lol. same thing with conor, his I'm from Ireland excuse is bullshit

A person hating another person due to nothing but skin color is not racist, that is prejudice.

Yes, that person would definitely be a racist, social justice warrior. You're babbling and have no idea what you're talking about.

You can repeat that pseudo-acedemic Afrocentric nonsense as much as you want, but it's never going to come true. That definition of racism was designed for the purpose of protecting certain groups of people from being held accountable for their racism. Anyone, of any color, can be a victim or perpetrator of racism, because the amount of power one has has absolutely nothing to do with the term 'racism'. Racism is merely prejudice on the basis of race. There is no distinction between 'racism' and 'prejudice'. The word prejudice is simply an umbrella term that encompasses racism, among other forms of bigotry; no power component necessary. You don't have to hold systemic power over someone to engage in racism. 'Systemic racism' necessitates power; 'racism' in and of itself does not. Stop conflating the two.

Racism: 'Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.'

It's about prejudice (there's that word) and the belief that your race is superior to another. Are some black people prejudice towards other races of people? Yes. Do some black people feel that they're superior to other races? Absolutely. Ask the Hebrew Israelites whether they think they're superior to white people.

Or, let's ask this woman:

'You can't be superior to people while being genetically inferior to the very people you claim you're superior to [...] I'm inclined to believe that literally dogs will outlive white people.' Well lookie there, this black woman fulfills all of the qualifications for being considered a racist and more.

And before you say something stupid like 'Black people couldn't possibly feel superior considering white people control all of the economic, academic, and political institutions', remember the definition talks about a feeling (operative word). It doesn't matter whether you think that feeling is grounded in reality. It only matters that they believe and express it.

This isn't difficult.

I'll leave you with another dictionary definition of the word racism: 'Discrimination or prejudice based on race.' <-- There's that word 'prejudice' again. In fact, that one is almost identical to the Merriam-Webster definition (#3) that was included in your very own post. Did you realize you were contradicting your own argument by posting it?

Last edited:

I had my doubts, but he does clarify, that he is in fact not a racist. Good question from Ariel, and good reporting from MMAFighting.

Honestly, I think Ariel should start off every interview with the tough task of asking fighters if they're racists. I assume everyone is a racist until stated otherwise.

Why would he even have to defend that garbage all because some whiny black fighter claimed it?

pussies.

You are comparing calling someone boy and a bunch of real racist people hanging a black person?

You are out of touch with reality. Trust me, black people or any other minority don't need your help.

Boy was a term used at Black men back in the day.
You clearly dont know about black history if you say it was not.
Its also been said here plenty of times.
Being called boy is associated with racism, as is Blacks being killed.

Its shocking how some people cant see how the two are associated.

Hanging = Racist
Calling Black dude "boy" = Racist.

Simple.
Sure..YOU may not like it..but hey..different customs, different people.

Boy was a term used at Black men back in the day.
You clearly dont know about black history if you say it was not.
Its also been said here plenty of times.
Being called boy is associated with racism, as is Blacks being killed.

Its shocking how some people cant see how the two are associated.

Hanging = Racist
Calling Black dude "boy" = Racist.

Simple.
Sure..YOU may not like it..but hey..different customs, different people.

I understand what you are saying however it's not that cut and dry. Cody uses the word "boy" for all guys regardless of race and was ignorant of the racial connotations of the word "boy" in reference to African Americans. His saying "boy" maybe perceived by some as a racist action however in this context the intent wasn't racist but a generic insult he would have used regardless of race. Once he was informed of the racial connotations of the word he wished he had used the word "bitch" since he meant it as an insult of Sterling as a fighter/person but not in the context of race. I'm not sure I am explaining it correctly but he would have said the same thing if Sterling wasn't black however since Sterling was black and Cody didn't know the racial implications of the word then his intent and motivation wasn't driven by race. Now he knows. It was a learning experience which is good because it creates awareness.

Yes, that person would definitely be a racist, social justice warrior. You're babbling and have no idea what you're talking about.

You can repeat that pseudo-acedemic Afrocentric nonsense as much as you want, but it's never going to come true. That definition of racism was designed for the purpose of protecting certain groups of people from being held accountable for their racism. Anyone, of any color, can be a victim or perpetrator of racism, because the amount of power one has has absolutely nothing to do with the term 'racism'. Racism is merely prejudice on the basis of race. There is no distinction between 'racism' and 'prejudice'. The word prejudice is simply an umbrella term that encompasses racism, among other forms of bigotry; no power component necessary. You don't have to hold systemic power over someone to engage in racism. 'Systemic racism' necessitates power; 'racism' in and of itself does not. Stop conflating the two.

Racism: 'Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.'

It's about prejudice (there's that word) and the belief that your race is superior to another. Are some black people prejudice towards other races of people? Yes. Do some black people feel that they're superior to other races? Absolutely. Ask the Hebrew Israelites whether they think they're superior to white people.

'You can't be superior to people while being genetically inferior to the very people you claim you're superior to [...] I'm inclined to believe that literally dogs will outlive white people.' Well lookie there, this black woman fulfills all of the qualifications for being considered a racist and more.

And before you say something stupid like 'Black people couldn't possibly feel superior considering white people control all of the economic, academic, and political institutions', remember the definition talks about a feeling (operative word). It doesn't matter whether you think that feeling is grounded in reality. It only matters that they believe and express it.

This isn't difficult.

I'll leave you with another dictionary definition of the word racism: 'Discrimination or prejudice based on race.' <-- There's that word 'prejudice' again. In fact, that one is almost identical to the Merriam-Webster definition (#3) that was included in your very own post. Did you realize you were contradicting your own argument by posting it?

Definition of prejudice
  1. 1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims

2. 2a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledgeb : an instance of such judgment or opinionc : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics
    Definition of racism
    1. 1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2. 2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principlesb : a political or social system founded on racism
      3: racial prejudice or discrimination

I'm not trying to promote any Afrocentric idea, I'm going by the actual definition from one of the more respected dictionaries. As you know some are more accredited than others. Merriam Webster happens to be one of those. Words are often changed to fit societies "use".

Great way to prove you aren't a racist, Cody:

"Oh, my sister banged a black guy and had a kid. So I clearly am not capable of racism" :eek:

Don't you know trying to prove you aren't a racist just makes actual racists more enfumed, CoGar?<45>

This isn't difficult.

Wow, I honestly didn't bother to read the majority of your post the first time,( still can't watch the video as I'm at work and wont risk some NSFW crap from HR) but after doing so .. wow, you seem to have some pent up anger here. Me pointing out the difference between the two isn't some way to try to remove blame or guilt from people of color. Being prejudice or a bigot isn't a nicer form of racism, you're still a piece of crap for regardless of your ability to infringe on another persons rights. But that ability to do so is the difference between racism and other forms of hatred based on whatever ridiculous difference a person sees.

Adding "systematic" to the word doesn't define the word differently, it's used to add emphasis, it's no different from saying a thorough investigation on a subject.

Wow, I honestly didn't bother to read the majority of your post the first time,( still can't watch the video as I'm at work and wont risk some NSFW crap from HR) but after doing so .. wow, you seem to have some pent up anger here. Me pointing out the difference between the two isn't some way to try to remove blame or guilt from people of color. Being prejudice or a bigot isn't a nicer form of racism, you're still a piece of crap for regardless of your ability to infringe on another persons rights. But that ability to do so is the difference between racism and other forms of hatred based on whatever ridiculous difference a person sees.

Adding "systematic" to the word doesn't define the word differently, it's used to add emphasis, it's no different from saying a thorough investigation on a subject.

You didn't point out an actual difference. As I pointed out, 'racism' and 'prejudice' go hand in hand. One is a specific form of prejudice, while the other is an umbrella term for all forms. You clearly had no idea what you were even talking about. All you're doing now is repeating the same bullshit that I've debunked three times over.

Reading and comprehension are fundamental.

Racism: 'Discrimination or prejudice based on race.'

Now what did I say from the very beginning? 'Racism is prejudice, prejudice based on race to be exact.' Uh-oh. That sounds identical to that definition.

No, genius, racism is not about power. You don't have to be part of a majority or some powerful institution just to do or say something that is racist. The Jim Crow laws were an example of racism carried out on an institutional level. That requires power. Ordinary, everyday acts of racism don't. No, the word 'systematic' isn't designed to 'add emphasis'. It's designed to distinguish one form of racism from the other. Racism means exactly what the two definitions above say it does. You're the one that posted the second one. Stop disagreeing with yourself.

'Being prejudice or a bigot isn't a nicer form of racism...' You're contradicting yourself. You just described prejudice and bigotry as a form of racism (which is stupid beyond belief, by the way). If prejudice != racism, then it can not be characterized as a form of it. Your understanding is completely ass-backwards. Prejudice is not a form of racism. All racism is prejudice. Racism is a form of prejudice.

I'm not trying to promote any Afrocentric idea, I'm going by the actual definition from one of the more respected dictionaries. As you know some are more accredited than others. Merriam Webster happens to be one of those. Words are often changed to fit societies "use".

Except you are. The 'racism = power' argument was intended to give black people and 'people of color' a monopoly on racial victimhood. Your definitions don't contradict anything that I just said. Again, did you even bother reading it?

Prejudice: 'preconceived judgment or opinion [...] an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics'

Racism: 'racial prejudice or discrimination'

You contradicted your own argument, again. The third definition uses the word 'prejudice' specifically, and it doesn't limit racism to just those in power. You don't seem to realize that you're the only one here who's arguing against reputable dictionary definitions. Your conception of racism is based on the Talcum X, Van Jones, and Al Sharpton dictionary definition, which are based on the precepts of critical theory and post-modernism.

Last edited:
Back