Code Vein a.k.a. Weeaboo Souls

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Dark Souls series were never my friend (tried to play the first iteration, but unforgiving gameplay and lack of story made me uninterested), but I'm on board for Kawaii Souls. An easier / more story driven iteration of the Souls series with japanese anime's batshit insanity is a niche I'd be down with.

The souls series has a very deep story. Sad you didn't figure that out. The team developing this game has made one decent game and one I was totally underwhelmed with. They have a lot to prove and I wholeheartedly hope they do.

Last edited:
The souls series has a very deep story. Sad you didn't figure that out. The team developing this game has made one decent game and one I was totally underwhelmed with. They have a lot to prove and I wholeheartedly hope they do.

lol the souls series might have a deep story if you go out and hunt for it but as far as in game the story is very ambiguous.

I'm hoping this game ends up being a bit closer to the God Eater games personally.

I'm hoping this game ends up being a bit closer to the God Eater games personally.

The second God Eater game didn't play very well though. It seemed a big downgrade to the first one to me. That's my biggest concern.

The second God Eater game didn't play very well though. It seemed a big downgrade to the first one to me. That's my biggest concern.

I didn't get too far into GE2, too many other games came out as I was trying which took all my attention. I did play the hell out of GE Resurrection and I could tell in my limited time in GE2 that it didn't play the same. Seemed a little slower?

I didn't get too far into GE2, too many other games came out as I was trying which took all my attention. I did play the hell out of GE Resurrection and I could tell in my limited time in GE2 that it didn't play the same. Seemed a little slower?

So basically they doubled down on slow. The actual combat itself was slower and more laborious and they took out the special techniques that allowed you to powerslide around the map. It was awful. I platinumed GE RES but just could not play through the mid game of 2.

One of the the things I have noticed is a consistent trend with ARPGs is you need a certain degree of speed to make it feel intense. It's what made LOTF much worse than the souls series to me. Bloodborne kind of took it to the extreme with speed and even encouraged you to push the action by restoring hp for hitting things back. Based on that and this developers history I really do think this can go both ways. Really hoping it's amazing though!

So basically they doubled down on slow. The actual combat itself was slower and more laborious and they took out the special techniques that allowed you to powerslide around the map. It was awful. I platinumed GE RES but just could not play through the mid game of 2.

One of the the things I have noticed is a consistent trend with ARPGs is you need a certain degree of speed to make it feel intense. It's what made LOTF much worse than the souls series to me. Bloodborne kind of took it to the extreme with speed and even encouraged you to push the action by restoring hp for hitting things back. Based on that and this developers history I really do think this can go both ways. Really hoping it's amazing though!

Gamplay is out now. From the first trailers I was expecting it to be on the faster side, but video shows the combat to be a little slower and more methodical than a frenzied rush. Looks like they use i-frames to roll through attacks too, you can definitelly tell in the first clip with the character is using a spear.

Seems like it'll be a cool mix of the God Eater and Souls games. Really looking forward to this next year!

Gamplay is out now. From the first trailers I was expecting it to be on the faster side, but video shows the combat to be a little slower and more methodical than a frenzied rush. Looks like they use i-frames to roll through attacks too, you can definitelly tell in the first clip with the character is using a spear.

That wasn't what I expected. For some reason I thought the combat was supposed to be hack n slashy but those were very deliberate strikes. Good to see.

Maybe it was just for the demo but I didn't see a HUD. Do we get health and stamina bars?

That wasn't what I expected. For some reason I thought the combat was supposed to be hack n slashy but those were very deliberate strikes. Good to see.

Maybe it was just for the demo but I didn't see a HUD. Do we get health and stamina bars?

In a lot of these demo videos the HUD is turned off to not distract the viewers or just to showcase the gameplay. I can guarantee there will be an HUD in the final game.

In a lot of these demo videos the HUD is turned off to not distract the viewers or just to showcase the gameplay. I can guarantee there will be an HUD in the final game.
I always like seeing the HUD to get an idea of what stats and abilities there might be. I find stamina management fun so hopefully that's something we can control.

I always like seeing the HUD to get an idea of what stats and abilities there might be. I find stamina management fun so hopefully that's something we can control.

Once the game is a bit more into development they'll release gameplay bits with the actual HUD so you can get a feel how the game is going to play. Might be a little while since Code Vein isn't scheduled to release until 2018 but I'm sure in the next few months we'll get some more info.

More gameplay footage. First half of the video is similar to the last gameplay video where it pretty much just gives you a sence of the combat mechanics, just in different locals. The second half of the video is more of a trailer but has some more gameplay stuff worked in. At about the 4:10 mark it shows either multiplayer or an AI assisstant, then rolls into some boss battles. Game is looking like a really great addition into the Soulsborne genre.

I like this game more and more every time they show more footage. Looks fun, and the art style is great.

That looks interesting but I'm not sure about the companion idea. I wonder if she's permanent.

From what I've read the companions are optional. There are different classes to select from as well that offer different support for you character. They look to range from long range support to up front melee.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/code-vein/code-vein-gameplay-video

Code Vein’s inclusion of an NPC companion is one of the most obvious departures from Souls, as a helper character providing backup does a lot to make things less lonely and foreboding. If you're not into that, the companions will be totally optional, but having a buddy running interference against the enemies should provide an interesting departure from Souls.

They tend to screw up enemy AI so I'd probably prefer to go it alone. Making it optional is a good idea.

Back