Coaches that sucks at holding mitts/pads

I’ve got a video of a long time client I need to edit down that shows my favorite mitt style. I throw jabs at him and he blocks, slips, ducks, or pulls from the punch and then counters with 3 punches. The catch is I don’t know what defensive option he’s going to use when I punch so I have to be ready to catch different combos based on what he does. It’s a lot of fun and keeps things live for my fighter.

As my guys develop I start throwing two or three random punches at them and they counter the 3rd one. They can block, slip, duck, pull, etc for all 3 shots and then fire back at me on the 3rd.

That would work with slow crappy crosses. But a tight straight right where the opponent steps in, and you're in trouble. This is the kind of thing you can do to novices if you're advanced, or noobs if you're a novice. But I would not recommend against high level opposition

funny you say that becauase i used to do it when i was a beginner but it slowly faded away. I never used it in a fight only in sparring. parrying it rather than scooping is probably a better and more realistic option

I’ve got a video of a long time client I need to edit down that shows my favorite mitt style. I throw jabs at him and he blocks, slips, ducks, or pulls from the punch and then counters with 3 punches. The catch is I don’t know what defensive option he’s going to use when I punch so I have to be ready to catch different combos based on what he does. It’s a lot of fun and keeps things live for my fighter.

As my guys develop I start throwing two or three random punches at them and they counter the 3rd one. They can block, slip, duck, pull, etc for all 3 shots and then fire back at me on the 3rd.

good stuff, what do you think of having them jab the right hand mitt? supposedly to help with them getting full extension. I generally use left mitt for the jab but have been playing around with the right. I think its probably good to mix it up. allows you to attack them differently after they punch.

good stuff, what do you think of having them jab the right hand mitt? supposedly to help with them getting full extension. I generally use left mitt for the jab but have been playing around with the right. I think its probably good to mix it up. allows you to attack them differently after they punch.
I’ll have them jab the right mitt if they are catching my jab with their right glove and firing back. Effective and you can add a cross and a hook behind it easily

Back