Coaches body shield

TheGhost1985

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm looking for some information on what people think is the best coaches body shield, I like the look of the sandee full body protector but can't find any reviews on it

Any info would be great, it's used for taking Thai and mma fighters on pads

The absolute "best' coaches' body shield is made here in Los Angeles, by a man named Sergio Garibay. He also makes mitts. His stuff is pretty damn expensive. I'm not sure how it fares with MT and MMA, but for boxing it is excellent. His stuff is all custom made to order. You would have an endless amount of options.

I've seen Freddie Roach use the Rival body shield (he has long worn the Garibay, and I think he was just experimenting with the Rival). It's around ~$450 USD. I've seen it in person, and I have to say I wasn't too impressed but apparently it's a good one.

I've never used or seen the Winning one in person but I bet that one is pretty good as well. It's "only" $350 on Koubudo through Rakuten:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/koubudo/item/78667/

TopBoxer hands down makes the best body shield around. Better than Rival, Ringside, Title, Everlast and even Garibay body shields

TopBoxer hands down makes the best body shield around. Better than Rival, Ringside, Title, Everlast and even Garibay body shields

But not Winning? You have a lot of experience with different shields!

But not Winning? You have a lot of experience with different shields!

I personally haven't tried Winning's body shield but if there body shield was that great I imagine Freddie Roach would use it instead of a Garibay shield given that he gets custom micro mitts from Winning.

Any idea on price for the topboxer body shield, obviously it depends on the customisation but a rough idea would be great

The absolute "best' coaches' body shield is made here in Los Angeles, by a man named Sergio Garibay. He also makes mitts. His stuff is pretty damn expensive. I'm not sure how it fares with MT and MMA, but for boxing it is excellent. His stuff is all custom made to order. You would have an endless amount of options.

I've seen Freddie Roach use the Rival body shield (he has long worn the Garibay, and I think he was just experimenting with the Rival). It's around ~$450 USD. I've seen it in person, and I have to say I wasn't too impressed but apparently it's a good one.

I've never used or seen the Winning one in person but I bet that one is pretty good as well. It's "only" $350 on Koubudo through Rakuten:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/koubudo/item/78667/

How much would it cost for a pair of Garibay mitts?

How much would it cost for a pair of Garibay mitts?

When I was first quoted a couple years back, it was $300 I think. I'm not sure what the "base" price is because I asked him for some custom options right away. I think it's gone up a little. Since about a year ago, he has a new little laminate logo he's been affixing - a number of trainers here in LA have them. I think Freddie has gone away from Garibay Mitts because Kaz from Winning always makes sure that Freddie has a fresh pair of Winning Mitts, instead of having to pay for the Garibay stuff.

I would have to say that the Garibay will be ~$350-400. Kaz has convinced Winning JAPAN to no longer sell the custom mitts to the general public. You can only get them if you are a top trainer / acquaintance of Kaz at Winning-USA. I'm not talking finger hood or 2L customization, I mean getting wrist straps and the speed mitt design that Freddie used to use.

I know that Freddie has paid nearly ~$1.2k on a bodyshield from Garibay, maybe even more. He was seen using the Rival bodyshield for Cotto. Freddie is quoted as saying that Cotto is the only boxer he's let punch him that made him piss blood. The Rival shield is pretty thick, but it's rather expensive and the construction leaves something to be desired.

There used to be a review of the Garibay mitts here on Sherdog. He apparently makes them from a trace of your hands. Also, if you're in the market for some custom mitts - give Daniel Gonzalez a try (rskbreaker on Sherdog and most boxing forums). You can find him on Instagram, and if not I can forward you his information

I personally haven't tried Winning's body shield but if there body shield was that great I imagine Freddie Roach would use it instead of a Garibay shield given that he gets custom micro mitts from Winning.

I was being facetious because you came in here talking about the "best bodyshield". Have you actually used all of the bodyshields out there, I mean even the ones you've listed? What about any of the Thai brands? What experience do you have where you can actually say that TB's bodyshield is the best around?

Some great info un this thread. Keep it up fellas.

That Rival shield looks really nice.

Anyways, what are some options for top of the line mitts now a days?

Preferably models used by world class trainers and models with maximum shock absorption.

Any of the "premium" models by Ringside or Title models good?

What's the word on Winning mitts in general? They have many models... do they all utilize high quality shock absorbing padding like their gloves? The CM10 might be something I'm considering but have not seen any reviews. I like the micro size and curved features.

Is Freddie Roach's speed mitts a custom CM5 with curved and strap features?

Thanks all.

If you live in Southern California, Pro Boxing Supplies has the Rival bodyshields in stock. I think Fit is the most important factor when it comes to bodyshields.

Do not use top of the line Ringside or Title for mitts. Ringside has the Heritage mitt which is nice but they are huge and unwieldy. Leather is unique but a pain to keep up.

One of the consensus best mitts of all time is the Ringside Ultimate Classic mitt. I found an alternate color model on eBay. It's used and I don't think it's worth the $100 they're asking. I've seen deadstock pair recently go for a lot more than what they used to be worth. They apparently last forever, because two of the coaches in my program had been using them for at least +5 years. Here's a link to the used eBay pair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ult...920373?hash=item41ae58a975:g:4dwAAOSwiYFXLPRz

If you ever find the Ultimate classic mitts in new condition for less than $200, I would definitely hop on and buy.

Freddie's mitts... I wish you could see the many different custom mitts from Winning that have been used. He lets his other trainers use the mitts made for him. They're not just simply modified CM5s actually. Some have thicker padding, more wrist support, etc. He gets fully custom mitts. I'm sure he's used modified CM5s but the ones he's been getting in are of a whole other class. Kaz actually let me take a look at a pair that had a detachable wrist strap because Freddie was saying that the new model kept flying off for some reason.

Also, I would stay away from Cleto Reyes mitts, at least the ones they sell at Pro Boxing Supply. Actually, if you have smaller hands, the PRO boxing supply labeled mitts are made in Mexico and felt pretty damn good.

As far as what the top trainers are using in California...

I have no idea what Virgil Hunter uses. The mitts I've seen him use are huge - they might be a modification of a Winning Mitt, but honestly they look more like the Hayabusa mitts.

I'm pretty sure that Garcia and Joel Diaz use Garibay, but there are many that are copying that style even the lettering so it's hard to tell.

Roach and Sanchez use custom Winning mitts. Kaz has a great relationship with both of these trainers and he keeps them supplied.

At my old gym, the head coach loved the Title Gel Micro Mitts (~$40) - he loved how they fit. Also, holding mitts/catching is an art. Another factor is chemistry with the fighter. You have to learn how to catch your fighter, but that could also mean you have to teach them how to throw how you want them to throw. Chem is huge. Freddie and Manny hit it off, it was love at first catch for those two.

Fit is very key. That's why custom is great. I personally love the old Everlast mitts (I have a few pair saved). Nothing special, but I'm a big fan of the panther design and it was soft enough that I could smack/tap the guy in the head.

I am dying to try the Gonzalez mitt, but I don't work at a gym anymore. Also, random side note: I've heard great things about Master Toddy's mitts, the ones made by Revgear especially. They look beautiful, but they're a straight from Thailand product.

My personal take is mitts should protect the catcher and his joints, but also be forgiving on the person throwing. Fit is king for me.

Bump.

I ordered custom mitts from top boxer. Spent around 150 and love them. Built to my specifications technically and stitched my logo on there for me. Took longer than quoted but was worth the wait.

I'm interested in decent full body shield now. I've already got a great belly shield from an off brand mma company that I use for my kickboxing clients. I'm looking for a body shield that can take heavy shots but still fits well and let's me move around easily. As a mitt holder I'm pretty mobile and reactive, but at 150lbs most my clients are bigger/heavier.

Bump.

I ordered custom mitts from top boxer. Spent around 150 and love them. Built to my specifications technically and stitched my logo on there for me. Took longer than quoted but was worth the wait.

I'm interested in decent full body shield now. I've already got a great belly shield from an off brand mma company that I use for my kickboxing clients. I'm looking for a body shield that can take heavy shots but still fits well and let's me move around easily. As a mitt holder I'm pretty mobile and reactive, but at 150lbs most my clients are bigger/heavier.
Glad to read your thoughts about my craft , really makes me do even better with what i do when i read good thoughts about what i do
anyways here is something i can make for you for about 199 usd ,plus some postage depending upon your country.
to have a look at more of my work pleas visit www.customboxing.us

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 5
Also, I would stay away from Cleto Reyes mitts, at least the ones they sell at Pro Boxing Supply. Actually, if you have smaller hands, the PRO boxing supply labeled mitts are made in Mexico and felt pretty damn good.

As far as what the top trainers are using in California...

I have no idea what Virgil Hunter uses. The mitts I've seen him use are huge - they might be a modification of a Winning Mitt, but honestly they look more like the Hayabusa mitts.

I'm pretty sure that Garcia and Joel Diaz use Garibay, but there are many that are copying that style even the lettering so it's hard to tell.

Roach and Sanchez use custom Winning mitts. Kaz has a great relationship with both of these trainers and he keeps them supplied.

At my old gym, the head coach loved the Title Gel Micro Mitts (~$40) - he loved how they fit. Also, holding mitts/catching is an art. Another factor is chemistry with the fighter. You have to learn how to catch your fighter, but that could also mean you have to teach them how to throw how you want them to throw. Chem is huge. Freddie and Manny hit it off, it was love at first catch for those two.

Fit is very key. That's why custom is great. I personally love the old Everlast mitts (I have a few pair saved). Nothing special, but I'm a big fan of the panther design and it was soft enough that I could smack/tap the guy in the head.

I am dying to try the Gonzalez mitt, but I don't work at a gym anymore. Also, random side note: I've heard great things about Master Toddy's mitts, the ones made by Revgear especially. They look beautiful, but they're a straight from Thailand product.

My personal take is mitts should protect the catcher and his joints, but also be forgiving on the person throwing. Fit is king for me.

nice piece of info here , quite a thoughtful discusion ,
on a random note here are some micro,s i made for Floyd Sr

you guys might like it

honestly take your pick of [insert random thai brand]..

have used a variety (twins, windy, fairtex, top king) and all of them held up for knees/teeps from heavy hitters/big boys

though I was a huge fan of the windy, allowed enough flexibility to throw kicks at the hitter without much discomfort

Back