Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

felt like sharing what one of my students had to say after a private session today guys. Given that MT is watered down AF here in the US I am making a conscious effort to seperate myself from the rest by actually teaching people, the way I would like to be taught, rather then just chucking them into a "class" or letting them boxercise.

this guy has trained at many different gyms and also fought a few smokers.

Pics from last night’s tournament
292F70E6-0F67-41CB-95F5-80F88196310C.jpeg
Our last boxer of the night has been our secret weapon. Former Division 1 National Champion Lacrosse player. Standing just over 6’7 and weighing in at 250 lbs (that chandelier is about 2” above his head). He’s only been boxing for a year, but given his size, athleticism, and coachability, he’s instantly making an impression. His opponent has at least 4 MMA fights and should have technically declared himself open. With that said, we liked the matchup from what we saw in his MMA bouts on YouTube. It was essentially a shutout as our Giant maintained great range throughout the fight.

70AFEDB0-1B5B-44C0-BB3F-F4DD5986215E.jpeg
Our third boxer on the night was The Haitian Sensation known only as “Klaw.” He’s one of those kids that walks in the gym, and it’s like hitting the lottery as a coach. As natural a talent as I’ve ever worked with. His opponent was experienced and a legit challenge. Klaw won the first two rounds, and gassed in the third as a result of a not so great weight cut. It was a great test and a competitive fight from start to finish.

5FA8FAA6-950E-493E-BFAB-1F5FF947B216.jpeg

Our first boxer on the night was Smooth Jay. He’s the boxer that’s been with us the longest (5+ years now), but has just finally transitioned into competition. The fight was against a terribly inexperienced boxer; one that was nowhere near ready to compete. At the end of the bout his coach confronted the officials table demanding to know how many fights our guy had. When they replied “zero,” he called bullshit. My brother let him know what time it was though, and it is what it is. Our guy looked great because he was well coached and well prepared. Their boxer looked poor as a result of the contrary. In amateur boxing, there’s always one winner and one loser. That’s how it goes.

On a sour note, one of our boxers did suffer a terrible/freak injury. The type of injury that will likely prevent him from competing in the next round. In the interest of staying mum, I’ll give details surrounding the injury at the end of the tournament. If the injury is bad enough, I may try and substitute one of my other boxers. We’ll see.

I’ll keep everyone posted on the next round.

Pics from last night’s tournament
View attachment 457185
Our last boxer of the night has been our secret weapon. Former Division 1 National Champion Lacrosse player. Standing just over 6’7 and weighing in at 250 lbs (that chandelier is about 2” above his head). He’s only been boxing for a year, but given his size, athleticism, and coachability, he’s instantly making an impression. His opponent has at least 4 MMA fights and should have technically declared himself open. With that said, we liked the matchup from what we saw in his MMA bouts on YouTube. It was essentially a shutout as our Giant maintained great range throughout the fight.

View attachment 457187
Our third boxer on the night was The Haitian Sensation known only as “Klaw.” He’s one of those kids that walks in the gym, and it’s like hitting the lottery as a coach. As natural a talent as I’ve ever worked with. His opponent was experienced and a legit challenge. Klaw won the first two rounds, and gassed in the third as a result of a not so great weight cut. It was a great test and a competitive fight from start to finish.

View attachment 457189

Our first boxer on the night was Smooth Jay. He’s the boxer that’s been with us the longest (5+ years now), but has just finally transitioned into competition. The fight was against a terribly inexperienced boxer; one that was nowhere near ready to compete. At the end of the bout his coach confronted the officials table demanding to know how many fights our guy had. When they replied “zero,” he called bullshit. My brother let him know what time it was though, and it is what it is. Our guy looked great because he was well coached and well prepared. Their boxer looked poor as a result of the contrary. In amateur boxing, there’s always one winner and one loser. That’s how it goes.

On a sour note, one of our boxers did suffer a terrible/freak injury. The type of injury that will likely prevent him from competing in the next round. In the interest of staying mum, I’ll give details surrounding the injury at the end of the tournament. If the injury is bad enough, I may try and substitute one of my other boxers. We’ll see.

I’ll keep everyone posted on the next round.

good work and pics.

very bad to see these crap coaches just toss guys in there not ready. Your guy was well prepared and it clearly showed.

good work and pics.

very bad to see these crap coaches just toss guys in there not ready. Your guy was well prepared and it clearly showed.
Thanks my man!

I’ll be honest with you, this thread was a bit of a motivator for me. I like how the coaches are really coming together here, and I was hoping for a strong showing so I could share the news with you guys.

The coaches here are having some serious success, and I’m glad to be a small part of it.

Thanks my man!

I’ll be honest with you, this thread was a bit of a motivator for me. I like how the coaches are really coming together here, and I was hoping for a strong showing so I could share the news with you guys.

The coaches here are having some serious success, and I’m glad to be a small part of it.

I was having a similar thought the other day. I was thinking to myself how far I have come, I can now regularly communicate with some of the best coaches in the country, seek advice, etc.

Thanks my man!

You and your Bro should show up in the FB group as well. Stuff we can say there that we may not want out publicly

You and your Bro should show up in the FB group as well. Stuff we can say there that we may not want out publicly
Shit, I didn’t realize there was already a FB group. Can someone hit me with a link?

Wow...Funny how its never his fault and it HAS to be the opposition sandbagging or his fighter

fighter wins his fight using nothing from camp: Ah we drilled that for 8 weeks, all part of the xyz system
fighter loses: Dipshit didn't follow the gameplan

bumping this thread!

So update on my guys that want to fight or say they want to one. The on guy i previously mentioned canceled his membership and disappeared. So I now have 2 rather than 3. The 2 that are still here are sparring daily, able to take hits and keep coming back for more so I should have 2 ready to go when the time is right.

bumping this thread!

So update on my guys that want to fight or say they want to one. The on guy i previously mentioned canceled his membership and disappeared. So I now have 2 rather than 3. The 2 that are still here are sparring daily, able to take hits and keep coming back for more so I should have 2 ready to go when the time is right.
nice!

its kinda funny how i posted about it here, or maybe it was the facebook group i cant remember, about what to do with the guy who says he wants to fight right away before he was ready. The suggestion was to have him do some actual sparring, so i informed the guys I was going to have them spar now with actual face contact, about medium power, he said he had a shoulder injury and forgot his mouthpiece and never came back.

I got this young guy, 18 or 19 years old, im trying to make him my little protege, he definitely wants to fight, i have been sparring with him, he can take the shots and keeps coming back for more, i accidentally caught him a little too hard in the liver, i know it hurt him, but he got back up and pushed through. We spoke afterwards, i know he has what it takes, i just need to fix all his damn self taught bad habits now.

His major issue is dropping his hands and reaching to block/cover up.

he likes to try and drop his hands and move around like a boxer to try and look cool like he knows what hes doing, but its doing the exact opposite such as ducking into head kicks etc.

How can i get him to keep his damn hands up other than clip him when he drops them?

its kinda funny how i posted about it here, or maybe it was the facebook group i cant remember, about what to do with the guy who says he wants to fight right away before he was ready. The suggestion was to have him do some actual sparring, so i informed the guys I was going to have them spar now with actual face contact, about medium power, he said he had a shoulder injury and forgot his mouthpiece and never came back.

I got this young guy, 18 or 19 years old, im trying to make him my little protege, he definitely wants to fight, i have been sparring with him, he can take the shots and keeps coming back for more, i accidentally caught him a little too hard in the liver, i know it hurt him, but he got back up and pushed through. We spoke afterwards, i know he has what it takes, i just need to fix all his damn self taught bad habits now.

His major issue is dropping his hands and reaching to block/cover up.

he likes to try and drop his hands and move around like a boxer to try and look cool like he knows what hes doing, but its doing the exact opposite such as ducking into head kicks etc.

How can i get him to keep his damn hands up other than clip him when he drops them?

Clip him when his hands are down, but also explain to him when, how, and why he can fight with his hands down. Just my two cents

Clip him when his hands are down, but also explain to him when, how, and why he can fight with his hands down. Just my two cents

thanks for the suggestion man. I have been working more block counter drills with them as well to try and help with it.

bumping this thread again. Wanted to bring up the topic of coaches actively participating in the training with their guys.

you see alot of coaches just sit around and say stuff like, keep your hands up, good job, rotate.

I have been training my guys the way I would like to have been taught.

I dont know what it is, are most of the coaches out there just lazy? My personal experience has been a majority of them just chuck students into a "class" thats more boxercise than anything, or you have sparring, and everyone is partnered up during sparring, and the coach is literally laying down/lounging on the floor/mats with a stopwatch in his hand, doing nothing but saying, rotate.

something like this

carfree-man-laying-on-the-floor-stock-photograph_csp53028393.jpg

What kind of coaching is that? And as far as muay thai goes, you are more likely to get the scenarios I just mentioned above, rather than active coaching here in the US. Many of my guys im their first ever striking coach and have told them, they dont even understand how lucky they are Im actually willing to get off my ass and teach them.

anyways, check out this video of lucien carbin, he speaks about his coaching methods, and how he must actively participate with his students otherwise he cannot bring them to a high level, and he cannot evolve and improve with them if he does not participate. Wanted to get your guys thoughts and opinions on this?

It’s a fine line to walk- if you coach long enough you’ll end up on the downside of your physical prime and you won’t be able to keep up with your guys in sparring or even drilling. Especially if you had a long and fruitful competition career and are reaping the benefits and nagging injuries of a life well lived. You need them to take what you say seriously even though some of them can kick your ass.

I’ve started teaching Dutch kick boxing at a prominent mma gym (and in fact SHOULD be teaching boxing but that’s also for the F11 chat group) despite having back and hip
Issues that keep me from throwing proper kicks. Mechanically I know how to throw kicks and can make the adjustments in fighters to get their form and power correct despite no longer being able to demonstrate anything but leg kicks.

I think there’s a grey area between ignoring your fighters and team while they train and jumping into the fray to crack skulls and assert dominance

It’s a fine line to walk- if you coach long enough you’ll end up on the downside of your physical prime and you won’t be able to keep up with your guys in sparring or even drilling. Especially if you had a long and fruitful competition career and are reaping the benefits and nagging injuries of a life well lived. You need them to take what you say seriously even though some of them can kick your ass.

I’ve started teaching Dutch kick boxing at a prominent mma gym (and in fact SHOULD be teaching boxing but that’s also for the F11 chat group) despite having back and hip
Issues that keep me from throwing proper kicks. Mechanically I know how to throw kicks and can make the adjustments in fighters to get their form and power correct despite no longer being able to demonstrate anything but leg kicks.

I think there’s a grey area between ignoring your fighters and team while they train and jumping into the fray to crack skulls and assert dominance

great input i agree with you. Cus D'amato was a tiny little old man, and produced mike tyson, however teddy atlas did a majority of the physical work. Still the coach has to be able to actively teach his guys, even if that is only verbal, but to just lounge around and say switch is pretty much doing nothing. Its nuts because when I finally did get the proper instruction from my old coach, 3 months of training with him, was equivalent to years of training here. I hear this being said about training in thailand quite a bit.

Really quick tournament update from Nolan Bros Boxing:

We have three more boxers fighting in the tournament tonight. Two for belts, and one to advance. Next week, we have two more fighting for belts.

We’ve had three opponents drop out after our opening week in the tournament, and I think they made the right choice given our matchups. The best of the best are left at this point, so we’ll see where we stack up.

I alluded to an injury last time, and now I can fully disclose the nature of it. Our 178 lbs guy broke his right thumb in his opening round win. The cast is off now, but he can’t hit a bag until January at the earliest. I didn’t know how extreme it was when I last posted, and I was hoping it was something we could tape up and worry about later.

I’ll post an update with results and pics tomorrow morning at the latest.

Went 2-1 on the night, and took home one belt.

In the semifinals, our dude Klaw (201 lbs) had a though matchup with a big/powerful Brazilian kid. Klaw won convincingly in a competitive bout, and took home the UD. He listened well and fights for a belt next week.

Our Super Heavy finalist fought a rematch with an opponent he smoked in the past. Our guy is a novice, and his opponent is a HUGE sandbagger. Has four MMA fights and a ton of amateur boxing matches. He entered the tournament with a book that read “0-0.” This fight was way more competitive than their first meeting, and I’ll give the kid credit, he adjusted well. The fight was close, but we got a UD. Could have easily went either way though. I’ll take the win.

In our last bout of the evening, we had our 132 lbs female fighting for the belt. We had fought the girl before, so there were no real surprises. Her opponent was the better boxer, but our girl was waaaaaaaaaay busier. We lost a UD, but I thought we won. With that said, both championship fights could have gone either way, so I’m glad to have come out with a belt.

We’re now 5-2 in the tournament, and have two more boxers competing for belts next week. After that, we have our open house (smoker) on December 14th. Trying to stay as busy as possible going into the Gloves. I tried to upload some pics from tonight, but keep getting “file too big” errors. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Congrats @beaglepuss, that’s a fine showing.

We’ve been pretty slow with fights. Couple fighters From the gym have done well, one making his pro debut and winning with a body kick KO and the other getting a KO on the bellator undercard. Both guys I’ve worked with a little bit but neither are “my” fighters by a long shot. I’ve been settling in to my position as a striking coach and making myself useful during sparring. The boxing gym has been slow, great sparring and rounds but we’re in a lull trying to develop the next class of competition fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back