Coach Pederneiras talks Aldo's added drive and return of 'best weapon' ahead of title rematch

Toner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://mmajunkie.com/2017/11/andre-pederneiras-jose-aldo-ufc-218-added-drive-title-rematch

“I got the news – it was God that sent it,” Pederneiras told reporters with a laugh, during a media day in Rio de Janeiro last week. “I got a call and they asked if I was going to take the fight. I said, ‘What fight? Aldo already has a fight scheduled.’ They said, ‘You haven’t heard? I said no. ‘Frankie Edgar just got hurt and won’t fight.’

“Aldo, in front of me, said, ‘Sign me up.’ I messaged (the UFC) right then and, the following day, it was done.”

I’m very motivated by this change,” Aldo said earlier in the same media day. “I don’t see a problem. I’m feeling much more prepared this time than the last time.”

“I think he’s a lot more motivated for this fight than he was for the previous one,” Pederneiras said. “Not to take away from his opponent, but fighting for a belt, with the person who beat you? He’s ready.

“(Aldo) spent some time in the U.S., training boxing. When he returned, he started training. So, when they scheduled it, his body was trained. He started a camp much sooner than usual, so these two weeks won’t make a difference.”

“They can expect the best kickboxing, the best muay Thai,” Aldo said. “I’m going for it all the time. I want to kick a lot in this fight. I want to lay hands, too. Everything I’ve learned recently, I want to go in there and I want to implement it. ”

For Pederneiras, too, this is a game-changer.

“When you take someone’s best weapon, and you give it back to them, it’s certainly going to make a difference,” Pederneiras said.

I want to make something very clear: First off, Aldo didn’t say anything, I did,” Pederneiras said. “I made a comment when someone asked why he got tired. I never took away from Holloway’s win. In that moment, regardless of whether he had a good leg or not, the punch would have landed and dropped him regardless.

“It wasn’t the leg that dropped him. So we didn’t take away from Holloway in any way. Quite the contrary: We praised him for both the way he became champion and the way he talked about Aldo. So I want it to be very clear. I only disclosed something that had happened, that’s it.”

Aldo’s response to the same question was in line with the coach’s.

“There was no cowardice,” Aldo said. “Whenever I fight in there, it’s the best Aldo possible. Holloway was a great fighter that night. He won and he earned it. There are no excuses at all. What Dede said happened in training. But if I’m up there, it’s the best Aldo possible. He won by his own merit, and he deserved to win.”

War Aldo!

Hoping this one is better than the first. I expect fireworks from the start. "Added Drive" Aldo might pull it off. But we are blessed either way.

I read a lot of people say Aldo needs to be more aggressive. He doesn't, that won't work work against Max. Just needs to put on a tactical masterclass for five rounds and pace myself. Mix in some more takedowns and ground work.. Problem is his boxing has been exposed in previous fights. But he has been working on it so I am expecting a really good performance from him.

This fight is going to be so close in my opinion. I lean towards Max but wouldn't be surpised if Aldo edged a decision.

Aldo's boxing should be vastly improved for this fight. This was his mitt work with Robert Garcia a few months back.

You always here coach talk about added drive, blah blah blah right as a fighter goes off the prime cliff into a string of brutal ko defeats.

RIP Waldo

I am fairly confident Aldo takes this.

Either by UD or 1st round KO. Depends what approach he is going to take.

He'll be eating counter right hands if he starts with the lowkicks

I doubt his best weapon Is ever coming back

He throws like 2 kicks a fight now, after he broke his foot he stopped throwing it, no doubt it didn’t heal to a point where he feels comfortable enough to use

Aldo with kicks may have never lost to Mac and Max

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/11/andre-pederneiras-jose-aldo-ufc-218-added-drive-title-rematch

“I got the news – it was God that sent it,” Pederneiras told reporters with a laugh, during a media day in Rio de Janeiro last week. “I got a call and they asked if I was going to take the fight. I said, ‘What fight? Aldo already has a fight scheduled.’ They said, ‘You haven’t heard? I said no. ‘Frankie Edgar just got hurt and won’t fight.’

“Aldo, in front of me, said, ‘Sign me up.’ I messaged (the UFC) right then and, the following day, it was done.”

I’m very motivated by this change,” Aldo said earlier in the same media day. “I don’t see a problem. I’m feeling much more prepared this time than the last time.”

“I think he’s a lot more motivated for this fight than he was for the previous one,” Pederneiras said. “Not to take away from his opponent, but fighting for a belt, with the person who beat you? He’s ready.

“(Aldo) spent some time in the U.S., training boxing. When he returned, he started training. So, when they scheduled it, his body was trained. He started a camp much sooner than usual, so these two weeks won’t make a difference.”

“They can expect the best kickboxing, the best muay Thai,” Aldo said. “I’m going for it all the time. I want to kick a lot in this fight. I want to lay hands, too. Everything I’ve learned recently, I want to go in there and I want to implement it. ”

For Pederneiras, too, this is a game-changer.

“When you take someone’s best weapon, and you give it back to them, it’s certainly going to make a difference,” Pederneiras said.

I want to make something very clear: First off, Aldo didn’t say anything, I did,” Pederneiras said. “I made a comment when someone asked why he got tired. I never took away from Holloway’s win. In that moment, regardless of whether he had a good leg or not, the punch would have landed and dropped him regardless.

“It wasn’t the leg that dropped him. So we didn’t take away from Holloway in any way. Quite the contrary: We praised him for both the way he became champion and the way he talked about Aldo. So I want it to be very clear. I only disclosed something that had happened, that’s it.”

Aldo’s response to the same question was in line with the coach’s.

“There was no cowardice,” Aldo said. “Whenever I fight in there, it’s the best Aldo possible. Holloway was a great fighter that night. He won and he earned it. There are no excuses at all. What Dede said happened in training. But if I’m up there, it’s the best Aldo possible. He won by his own merit, and he deserved to win.”

War Aldo!
That got me fired up... Get that belt back champ.

iu

You always here coach talk about added drive, blah blah blah right as a fighter goes off the prime cliff into a string of brutal ko defeats.

RIP Waldo
Conor has taken more punishment in the two fights with nate + floyd fight than Aldo has.

Conor has taken more punishment in the two fights with nate + floyd fight than Aldo has.

That's because Aldo's chin can't hold out long enough to take more punishment.

That's because Aldo's chin can't hold out long enough to take more punishment.

ironically, getting KO'd by conor means you are less chinny than when you get ko'd on the feet by diaz and floyd

RIP Waldo
ha, a mcgregor fan hating on aldo. classic

It's the truth and you know it.
every coach everytime talks about how his fighter is much improved from his last fight and bla bla bla. there's nothing to take out from that. even if he loses to holloway again, he's still a nightmare matchup for the rest of the top 10. he's not going anywhere anytime soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back