Co-Owners of Mugshots.com Charged With Extortion

Until Obama outlawed it, you'd probably defend Westboro Church protesting soldiers' funerals too, right?
He outlawed it?? He shouldn't have done that, that was the wrong thing to do.
As I understand the definition of extortion, it's when you demand money based on a threat to do something, including harm to someone's privacy or reputation.

I think this would probably meet the criteria if the entire purpose of the mug shots website is to create pressure to force people to use the removal website. If the mug shots website was being done as a public service (like those pedophile websites) then they'd be fine.
Right, that's kinda what I figured but didn't know if from a legal technical standpoint it counts as blackmail or extortion.

Even though Im on several of those websites (I am no saint) I agree in theory with letting people run sites like them, but ONLY if the mugshots are kept updated with the final outcomes. So if someone was arrested under half a dozen felony charges, and wound up with a single misdemeanor as a result, the site should only list the misdemeanor.

From what I can tell, these guys didnt do that, and instead just left the initial charges up. What you are arrested for is quite often everything the police can toss at you so something will stick, not what you will actually be prosecuted and be found guilty of. Seeing as how they werent updating the site, it IS extortion as they are forcing people to pay for removal of false information in a sense.

All in all, fuck these guys. Let 'em burn.

Back