Co-main events on UFN and fight pass cards are terrible now a days...

It benefits the fighters out there trying to make a name for themselves, plus gives them the chance to actually make some money in this sport. Damn near everyone on these cards has a second job. It doesn't cost me much to watch a fight night in a Polish city I never heard of before.

With all due respect, Fight Pass from the jump has been for events in international markets that Fox didn't or doesn't want. The modus operandi has always been the lowest of the low on the totem pole with a main event or two to get you worked up.

Ya but if ur gonna charge me 9.99 for bec Rawlings co main event I'll have to pass

Ya but if ur gonna charge me 9.99 for bec Rawlings co main event I'll have to pass

Some of us are bigger MMA meth addicts than others for sure.

Although to be fair I mean did you pay for 9.99 when they were doing some of those TUF finales in Macau or whatever?!

Li Jingliang vs Zak Ottow is fine.

Li Jingliang might be the most exciting prospect currently out there.

Some of us are bigger MMA meth addicts than others for sure.

Although to be fair I mean did you pay for 9.99 when they were doing some of those TUF finales in Macau or whatever?!

Ya u keep watching bec Rawlings for ur fix lmfao

Ya u keep watching bec Rawlings for ur fix lmfao

You're talking to a guy who watches Alaskan Fighting Championship and the Super Fight League, you're not gonna spook me by pointing out how dead I am.

Overall, the quality of the free cards is not what it used to be. Juste compare FOX cards from 2013 and now. But the PPVs are more stacked though than they used to be, usually.

Of course thats all name wise. Some nonames ridden cards have been quite entertaining while epic looking cards such as UFC 200 sucked asses.

In conclusion, wmma is boring.

Overall, the quality of the free cards is not what it used to be. Juste compare FOX cards from 2013 and now. But the PPVs are more stacked though than they used to be, usually.

Of course thats all name wise. Some nonames ridden cards have been quite entertaining while epic looking cards such as UFC 200 sucked asses.

In conclusion, wmma is boring.

First off good to see ya.

I think it's about the same on average although the peaks were a lot higher a few years ago.

I remember when the main and co-main were always exciting and anticipated fights. Lately they are just awful with fighters no one cares about or even knows. It's like the UFC is putting one decent fight on as the main event and the rest are just prospects or countrymen where ever they are. I guess the UFC is only focusing on PPV and FOX cards. The rest are like watching Bellator or worse sometimes.

Co-mains of late and coming up on UFN cards:

UFN 118 - KK vs Jodie Esquibel
UFN 121 - Bec Rawlings vs Jessica-Rose Clark
UFN 122 - Li Jingliang vs Zak Ottow
Ultimate Fight Finale 26 - Andrew Sanchez vs Ryan Janes

Just to name a few of late and it isn't gonna get better. Basically if it isn't a PPV or FOX card there won't be any build up hype or anticipation. Just have to watch and hope for some good fights. UFN 121 was trash! 10/13 fights went to decision, tied for most ever.

Thoughts?
While your right, Sanchez James fight isn't official for as the co-main, is it?

Recency bias.

Denis Stojnic, Carmelo Marrero, Rory Markham, Andre Winner and Sean McCorkle were all featured in co-main events during the glory years of 2009 and 2010.

I'll give you Rawlings/Clark though, that is a truly dreadful co-main event. At least in the ones I've mentioned they were fighting someone good.

They have a deal to put on a specific number of shows for FS1 so they really don't have a choice

They should have been able to get a bigger name opponent for Jingliang, which would have been a respectable co-main. A win over Ottow does nothing for him.

Although, I think OP is putting too much stock into the "co main". Who really cares about what fight is billed as the co main? Overall card depth is what matters. UFC Shanghai has two fantastic prospects in Magomedsharipov and Salikhov fighting.

A strong co main is the difference between buying a ppv and not for me. I can agree it doesn't matter as much for Fight night or FP cards... but I think we can all agree it's not only insulting to fans but other fighters to have a 7-6 dude like Bec Rawlings co maining ufc cards.

First off good to see ya.

I think it's about the same on average although the peaks were a lot higher a few years ago.

Holy comeback Batman. The oracle of Sherdog is back! ;)

Hope to see you in the PBP threads man.

The "co-main" fight rarely has equal status to the main event. They need to come up with a different term instead of bastardizing the English language.

Cards are pretty weak in general these days, but they do seem to have developed a habit of putting particularly weak fights in prime spots of the bout order. I don't care so much for the televised events since I just DVR them, but it's somewhat annoying if I watch a PPV at a bar to have to show up late and miss a good early fight or two just to avoid sitting through the garbage. At one time, it seemed like the fights got better as the card progressed. Rose-colored glasses, possibly.

Of the "co-main" fighters listed in the OP, Ottow is the only one I'd bother watching.

Back