Co-main events on UFN and fight pass cards are terrible now a days...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by marksmen, Nov 22, 2017.

1. marksmen Brown Belt

marksmen
    I remember when the main and co-main were always exciting and anticipated fights. Lately they are just awful with fighters no one cares about or even knows. It's like the UFC is putting one decent fight on as the main event and the rest are just prospects or countrymen where ever they are. I guess the UFC is only focusing on PPV and FOX cards. The rest are like watching Bellator or worse sometimes.

Co-mains of late and coming up on UFN cards:

UFN 118 - KK vs Jodie Esquibel
    UFN 121 - Bec Rawlings vs Jessica-Rose Clark
    UFN 122 - Li Jingliang vs Zak Ottow
    Ultimate Fight Finale 26 - Andrew Sanchez vs Ryan Janes

Just to name a few of late and it isn't gonna get better. Basically if it isn't a PPV or FOX card there won't be any build up hype or anticipation. Just have to watch and hope for some good fights. UFN 121 was trash! 10/13 fights went to decision, tied for most ever.

Thoughts?

rpn453 likes this.
  2. Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

Tamriel Terror
    The UFC should trim the fat and cut down the roster a few hundred fighters imo.

There would be less cards, however their quality would tremendously improve and bring in higher ratings.

3. chitoortiz Red Belt

chitoortiz
  4. BionicCommando Silver Belt

BionicCommando
    Two of those are Fight Pass cards and one is a TUF Finale but I get the point you're trying to make here.

At the end of the day, MMA has changed so much in terms of viewers that card depth is almost irrelevant. It's become boxing-esque where if you have a "name" main event, your job is done.

storeybuckle likes this.
  5. ortizgnp Original Vince Belt

ortizgnp
    Cards can be great even though the names on it aren't as strong as you'd like them to be.

Cheapshart likes this.
  6. EndlessCritic Gold Belt

EndlessCritic
    They should have been able to get a bigger name opponent for Jingliang, which would have been a respectable co-main. A win over Ottow does nothing for him.

Although, I think OP is putting too much stock into the "co main". Who really cares about what fight is billed as the co main? Overall card depth is what matters. UFC Shanghai has two fantastic prospects in Magomedsharipov and Salikhov fighting.

7. Mr Wings Black Belt

Mr Wings
  8. BionicCommando Silver Belt

BionicCommando
    TV networks, or at least Fox, don't want less shows. The UFC doesn't get to say "Okay we're doing X amount of shows and you'll just have to deal with it." Fox has as much a say in when there's a show and whether they'll air said show as the UFC does. They're not going to pay more for less so to speak.

The problem, or the question at least, is where is the elasticity point? Look at UFC 217 and realize that in all likelihood Wonderboy vs Masvidal added 0 buys to that show. Then imagine that Wonderboy vs Masvidal headlines on FS1 and probably does close to 1 million viewers or so live given Wonderboy's history as a headliner. Fox doesn't want LESS shows, they want more Wonderboy/Masvidal types instead of having that fight as a main card PPV filler.

Londonjitsu and Failwani like this.
  9. Mr Wings Black Belt

Mr Wings
    <mma4>

ortizgnp likes this.
  10. BionicCommando Silver Belt

BionicCommando
    Normally I find myself agreeing with you in general but here I feel like it kind of misses the point. I don't think they were going for name value so much as "get the local guy a win in front of a hot crowd so he looks like a big deal to them." It's something they should probably do more of.

11. bambammccoy Black Belt

bambammccoy
    Outside of the main event, it's just names drawn out of a hat, unless it's a top 30 fighter, then they redraw.

12. Toco Yellow Card

Toco
    they need to send women back to invicta, it would help a lot already

Sakuraba7, kila2, 24K and 2 others like this.
  13. Irishwhiskey119 MMArmy.com Owner

Irishwhiskey119
    Casual fans are angry.

PabloMEX likes this.
  14. Limit Smasher Green Belt

Limit Smasher
    They should cut a couple hundred fighters and then force the remaining ones to fight at least four times a year. We would still have a lot of fight cards but they wouldn't be watered down with no names and cans.

Sakuraba7 likes this.
  15. HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

HI SCOTT NEWMAN
    Not one of those fights you listed interest me in the slightest. Yeah its getting real bad, the last event was such a chore, I thought it would never ever end.

16. BionicCommando Silver Belt

BionicCommando
    They're already dealing with two lawsuits and this would almost assuredly bring upon a third.

17. Roljo Brown Belt

Roljo
    I remember the times when i knew most of the fighters and what their last fights were, got me way more involved in those fights.

18. Roukas Double Yellow Card

Roukas
    Ya I got fightpass to watch the fights but if they r gonna keep watering them down I'll have to unsubscribe

19. BionicCommando Silver Belt

BionicCommando
    With all due respect, Fight Pass from the jump has been for events in international markets that Fox didn't or doesn't want. The modus operandi has always been the lowest of the low on the totem pole with a main event or two to get you worked up.

20. Cheapshart The Voice of Raisins

Cheapshart
    This. I just want to see two people of roughly equal size and ability try to hurt each other. You don't need to be a "name" to put on a show.