CNN says memes may contribute to obesity

CNN will say anything for the right price.

Mass immigration, multiculturalism, white guilt/privilege, impossible to properly vet refugees, LGBT insanity, Reconquista, hood life, BLM, ANTIFA, gun bans/confiscation, radical feminism and Islam ruins countries and people's health.

<{nope}>

I dont even know where to begin -- seriously they are rallying against meme's like these claiming they are harmful

sub-buzz-3132-1519719212-1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

If these actually cause you to be a landwhale, then we dont need to ban the meme, we need you to drink drano.

The biggest concern is how nanny state euro nations are getting with the internet.

CNN also says that obesity is beautiful and healthy, so what's their beef anyways?

CNN isn't making any claim. They are reporting on researchers from Loughborough University writing British lawmakers regarding the effects of memes on young teenagers' health behaviors. They even link the letter in the article. I haven't read the letter to form an opinion on it, and it's obvious you haven't as well.

Edit: Changed research to "letter"

Last edited:
CNN also says that obesity is beautiful and healthy, so what's their beef anyways?

Literally they chastise benign memes for promoting obesity and then go on to say memes are also bad because they can body shame -- how does this even pass the editorial desk

CNN isn't making any claim. They are reporting on researchers from Loughborough University writing British lawmakers regarding the effects of memes on young teenagers' health behaviors. They even link the research in the article. I haven't read the research to form an opinion on it, and it's obvious you haven't as well.

The letter had no direct link or quantitative analysis of how memes link to obesity -- it suggest that because the majority of these meme are seen in a happy mood, that it could cause teenagers 13-16 to normalize obesity, which is hilariously asinine. Its actually a more inane version of the UK's effort to ban cartoons on cereal boxes. However, beyond that point -- they should no actual evidence of anything.

It would be like saying kids grew up watching homer simpson and Chris Farley and it convinced us that being fat is ok

haha I'm actually curious about what angle they are taking here but don't really want to give CNN a click on what is probably a click-bait spin story

I'm going to assume it has something to do with too much internet / lack of exercise and not something specifically to do with memes.

They should research who lives around my way bc all the obesity I see around here comes from folks to eat to damn much or just plain lazy bc they live that lifestyle and not reading a meme

I like to put ketchup and cheese on my memes

The letter had no direct link or quantitative analysis of how memes link to obesity -- it suggest that because the majority of these meme are seen in a happy mood, that it could cause teenagers 13-16 to normalize obesity, which is hilariously asinine. Its actually a more inane version of the UK's effort to ban cartoons on cereal boxes. However, beyond that point -- they should no actual evidence of anything.

It would be like saying kids grew up watching homer simpson and Chris Farley and it convinced us that being fat is ok

Sorry, I meant link to letter indicating it was the University researchers (and not CNN) making that statement. As I said, I haven't read it. This meme stuff means nothing to me, and I'm way out of my element regarding them. I was only making a quick comment on the fake news thread title.

They're saying memes make people feel uncomfortable... and become fatter? I'd say it's the opposite. Being overweight, even slightly, is very frowned upon in Japanese society for example, and they're the slimmest industrialized country in the world - beaten only by a few, literally starving, African countries. Meanwhile the US has normalized obesity to the point where 35% of the population is obese and nobody bats an eye.

Obesity seems to have really taken off after the US government made the new dietary guidelines in the late 70’s, suggesting that people eat a ton of grain and less fats. Before that peopld temded to be on the small side, fat people weren’t commonplace, food companies reacted by removing fat from food and replacing it with things like HFCS, the more we try to follow big governments guidelines for our “own good” the worse people get.

Bottom line if government, big tech or MSM want to fight obesity they need to focus on what we let pass for food, there is no definitive consensus on what is better, cutting out meat or not, but cut the crap out of people’s diets and focusing on single ingredient foods would be much better than blaming memes.

Tried reading it. One of the worst articles I've ever read from a major news site.

Back