Climate change will impact beer. Now, do you care?

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Beer Prices Could Double Because Of Climate Change, Study Says

""Under higher-warming climate scenarios, we find 100-year drought and heat events occur every three years, decreasing barley yields by an average 17 percent in those years, and increasing the price of a 6-pack in the U.S. by $1-8. Another way climate change will suck."

The effects described in the report are complex, as the researchers used several forecast tools — one to predict a range of climate scenarios, one for agricultural yields and another to see the economic conditions that would be a likely result. And as we've seen with the Earth's shifting climate, the predicted effects vary widely from region to region.

Under four different weather scenarios created for the years from 2010 to 2099, the world's barley growers would see "yield losses [that] range from 3 percent to 17 percent depending on the severity of the conditions," according to the study.

Beneath that overall impact, regional differences would be stark.

South America would fare poorly, as would many tropical areas. In China and the U.S., the barley yield is actually predicted to rise, but "not enough to offset the global decrease," the study says.

Climate change could reshape the barley and beer market, the researchers say, depicting a situation in which China, which currently drinks more Budweiser than the U.S., would scale back its beer consumption.

Whether the best- or worst-case scenario plays out, beer drinkers in Ireland, Canada, Poland and Italy are likely to see prices increase the most, according to the report. Beer-loving countries Belgium and the U.K. are also in the top 10."

I hope that's the last straw for enough people that we finally do something about this. People don't seem to care if 99% of all coral disappears from the ocean, but how you gonna feel if the cost of your proper 12 triples?

Not anymore than I did before. Beer is garbage anyhow, what's the point of drinking low proof bread water? Drink liquor like a man or don't drink at all.

latest

Not my beer!

I don't drink and am skeptical that climate change in man-made. Nothing has changed for me here.

I’m curious to hear your evidence that climate change is not man made
The problem that I see is that the evidence for it is real sketchy and politically driven to make some people rich. What evidence can you state that proves that it is man made?

Not anymore than I did before. Beer is garbage anyhow, what's the point of drinking low proof bread water? Drink liquor like a man or don't drink at all.

Beer is for in-between drinking water and liquor. You gotta vary it up, yo.

The burden of proof is on you that claim it. Never in my life have I claimed the cause. No one really knows.

The proof is there, you just choose to ignore it. Do you think 98% of scientists are liars and there's no one out there that would want to come out and completely disprove it and win a nobel peace prize?

No, it just makes more sense that it's a conspiracy instead of trusting the people who devote their lives to this endeavor

Ahhhh fuck off. I do all i can at home for this climate change shit. Dont use liqour to try and scare me .peices of shit can die in a tire fire.

Lol, they certainly get an A for effort. Lol at trying every avenue to get people to support their agenda. They could just advise people on ways to help, but no, it's taxes and regulations or we'll keep making up horse shit until you support a full government takeover of industry. Global warming causes terrorism, seafood will disappear, your beer prices will skyrocket unless you vote for our party and pay higher taxes.

<36>

The proof is there, you just choose to ignore it. Do you think 98% of scientists are liars and there's no one out there that would want to come out and completely disprove it and win a nobel peace prize?

No, it just makes more sense that it's a conspiracy instead of trusting the people who devote their lives to this endeavor
Since when is consensus scientific? Do you think that questions should not be asked about one's motivation when money is involved? What conspiracy? Common sense should lead us to question these things especially when our tax money is involved.

Back