Cliffhanger (1993)

Fair review, it's a really entertaining movie but nothing special after the opening. So many cringeworthy technical and geographical errors though. Hey look the Dolomites are intermittently in Colorado. The bolt gun ftw lol.

I'm not sure I'd call that a geographical ERROR. I mean, it's common for one place to stand in for another. Toronto often stands in for NYC for instance.

I'm not sure I'd call that a geographical ERROR. I mean, it's common for one place to stand in for another. Toronto often stands in for NYC for instance.
True, that's a pretty standard thing to do and not exactly an error. Terrain/geography were just abused especially heavily in this movie.

Holy shit this came out in 1993!? I saw this in the movie theater. Loved it as a kid. May have watched it once since I think I may have to revisit it.

Found this tidbit in imdb

"The film is in the Guinness Book of World Records for the costliest aerial stunt ever performed. Stuntman Simon Crane was paid one million dollars to cross once between two planes at 15,000 feet, without the aid of any safety devices or trick photography. The insurance company refused to insure a stunt man for this, so Sylvester Stallone offered to reduce his own fee for the movie by the amount that the stunt cost to produce in order that the film could be made."

Found this tidbit in imdb

"The film is in the Guinness Book of World Records for the costliest aerial stunt ever performed. Stuntman Simon Crane was paid one million dollars to cross once between two planes at 15,000 feet, without the aid of any safety devices or trick photography. The insurance company refused to insure a stunt man for this, so Sylvester Stallone offered to reduce his own fee for the movie by the amount that the stunt cost to produce in order that the film could be made."
No safety devices? Holy shit that man has balls

Edit: He had a parachute. And he didnt actually make it. Its the first stunt they talk about in this video

Last edited:
No safety devices? Holy shit that man has balls

Edit: He had a parachute. And he didnt actually make it. Its the first stunt they talk about in this video

Wow's that's some crazy shit. Glad that dude didn't die.

I really enjoy Cliffhanger. Haven't watched it in close to 10 years, but for the early to mid 2000s I'd watch it all the time because it always be on TBS/Superstation/peach tree, just like money talks. I've probably seen it a dozen times, and I really enjoy it.

Edit: what the fuck is vertical limit?

Double edit: wait, I saw Vertical Limit in theatres when it first came out. Barely remember it at all. Literally the only part I remember is someone murdering someone else by injecting an air filled syringe into someone while they were asleep or something. Is that right? Am I thinking of the right movie?

Last edited:
Have any of you seen Everest? I thought that was a great movie.

I enjoyed so much I bought Into Thin Air and read it immediately after.
Didn't bother with Everest since I've spent so much time with that story via books and docs. Any Hollywood film would be cheap by comparison. I have some issues with Krakauer's account, considering how he couldn't lift a finger to help, and then later burned down Anatoli Boukreev's reputation (who did some superhuman hero shit that night and is directly responsible for several people living). But Into Thin Air is still a really interesting and valuable story, especially for his lighting up Sandy Pittman for having no business on that mountain- that brought the proper attention to high altitude commerce. And he's also just a very good writer.

Touching the Void, both the book and the docudrama, is the GOAT story when it comes to screwed up mountaineering tales.

One of the best action movie openings ever. Shit gets real in a hurry. For a 90's action movie, it's an extremely well acted sequence and disturbing.

John Lithgow is an amazing actor --being able to play hilariously comical and sadistically evil with ease.

Back