Civil War statue being transferred/removed in Forest Park, MO

I'd like to know where they came up with the $100k estimate for removing it. Rent a crane and a semi with a flat bed. Load it up, then dump it on Billy Bob's lawn. It should be $10k max.

I assume some City Councillor has a brother in the statue removal business.

Well, because I believe removing something should require more thought and context than placing it, to be honest. It was put there for a reason, and there are legitimate reasons for removal. I just think this whole kerfuffle has neatly avoided the realm of honest debate. Then taxpayer money is spent on one side of it, while demanding citizens pay to preserve the other. I really can't argue the intents or morals of people 100 years ago, honestly. Would you wager more people were for the statue then than are against it now?

They weren't demanding anything, they were going to remove the statue and a museum said it had the space but needed funds for it.

And if more people were for the statue i guess someone should run for mayor with the put the statue back on as campaign.

I'd like to know where they came up with the $100k estimate for removing it. Rent a crane and a semi with a flat bed. Load it up, then dump it on Billy Bob's lawn. It should be $10k max.

They are going to preserve the monument that means removing the bronze parts and storing them apart and burying the granite in a way that it doesnt affects them.

They are going to preserve the monument that means removing the bronze parts and storing them apart and burying the granite in a way that it doesnt affects them.
Ok, so you need to bring a hammer and chisel to take the bronze plaque off and rent a back hoe to bury the granite. It's still no where near $100k.

Little ceasars pizza needs to be outlawed. After all. Lot of bad stuff went down in Rome.

If they want to erase history, then I guess slavery didn't happen.

racists sad because we are taking down their civil war participation trophies :)

There's a lot of German heritage in Missouri due to World War I history. At one time St Louis city streets even had German names of course they were changed over the course of time.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/century-old-war-leaves-lasting-impact-st-louis-german-identity

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stlt...3f37dcc1-2aa5-5289-af22-3a0427975d58.amp.html
I know sarcasm doesn't transfer well at times but my comment was very much sarcastic. I can't stand shit like this. At the very least, they should have a city wide vote when a removal is proposed. Let the whole city have the right to determine such an action.

racists sad because we are taking down their civil war participation trophies :)
Okay that's a damn good line, but this statue isn't really like that. It was actually put up with some sensitivity to the very issue that the city is claiming it's insensitive toward. They went out of their way not to glorify slavery or treachery, unlike many other monuments that are under scrutiny now.

I know sarcasm doesn't transfer well at times but my comment was very much sarcastic. I can't stand shit like this. At the very least, they should have a city wide vote when a removal is proposed. Let the whole city have the right to determine such an action.

Did they had such a city wide vote when they were building them in the first place?

Okay that's a damn good line, but this statue isn't really like that. It was actually put up with some sensitivity to the very issue that the city is claiming it's insensitive toward. They went out of their way not to glorify slavery or treachery, unlike many other monuments that are under scrutiny now.

The statue was in place as an educational and historical tool.

At first I did not like how it was happening yet it does not seem to matter what I like or dislike either.

I think removing evidence of our shared history is generally not a good idea. Those who don't understand their history are doomed to repeat it, after all.
Evidence is not being removed in this instance.

Cool. That's what Nazis and ISIS do too.
Nazis and ISIS move statues of people who took up arms against their country from public parks to museums?

I think my main issue with a lot of the statues is that they're not actually historical or contemporary to the Confederacy.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an effort to make America look a certain way, I think it's an effort to appease those with a perpetual victim mentality that are offended at everything. The problem is that perpetual victims will never cease being victims, so this isn't the last step, it's the first one. Whether or not the civil war was fought on the grounds of slavery or not is really just moot.

Crying about how great the Confederacy was after it was defeated 200 years ago is victim mentality.

Crying about how great the Confederacy was after it was defeated 200 years ago is victim mentality.

Sure, except that not everyone who objects to the removal of these images is crying about how great the Confederacy is. In fact, most of the people who object to this are probably not even Nazis, believe it or not.

BLM-types are the most racist, whiny, and unrealistic people in America, and I believe that giving them an inch was a mistake.

I think my main issue with a lot of the statues is that they're not actually historical or contemporary to the Confederacy.
The one in Forest Park was 1914 I think. Yeah that's 50 years after, and because the daughters of the confederacy were white supremacists, I can see the point. Still, nobody really has a problem with it outside of a few loud people, and it's not depicting generals on horses or celebrating white supremacy or slavery (and that was done on purpose at the time the statue went up). Is it historical? I think it is, if only for the concession the group who put it up made to common decency. If I felt super strongly about it I'd be protesting, and it's not breaking my heart, but I can't support getting rid of it for what it is. It's a part of that park, and one of the best parks in the country. People have memories of it. This isn't clearing the way for something new and better either, they're just going to to jam it down into the ground.

Eh, I just think that's a little hypocritical. The taxpayer (who I doubt were consulted) is paying for the removal, the city says another place is okay, but private citizens have to raise X dollars.

Wasn't the gov't paying for maintenance? Seems like in the long run, it saves money to take it down, not that the money issue really matters to anyone on either side.

Wasn't the gov't paying for maintenance? Seems like in the long run, it saves money to take it down, not that the money issue really matters to anyone on either side.

I guess that's true as well, though I doubt maintenance was a huge number. Like you said, neither side cares about money, I just feel that free speech is kind of being circumvented by small-scale outrage overtaking mass ambivalence. I don't have any love for the Confederacy, but it shaped Southern culture for over a century, it's weird seeing its monuments removed.

I guess that's true as well, though I doubt maintenance was a huge number. Like you said, neither side cares about money, I just feel that free speech is kind of being circumvented by small-scale outrage overtaking mass ambivalence. I don't have any love for the Confederacy, but it shaped Southern culture for over a century, it's weird seeing its monuments removed.

I don't see it as a free speech issue at all. It's not like assholes are not allowed to put monuments up on private property. And I think the point is to get the Confederacy to stop shaping Southern culture.

Back