Civil War statue being transferred/removed in Forest Park, MO

The article says that a new location was given but not taken because people didnt donated to it.

Seems to me like its supporters dont put their money where their outrage is.

Well, the cause of a war goes a long way towards how we frame it's participants, and therefore which side holds the moral high ground, and how they are remembered. I don't think the squeaky wheels understand that they are trying to "purify" America, but I think it's the underlying drive. People today have trouble holding nuanced ideas, and increasingly seek to silence or remove the contradictory information to the opinion they prefer. It's slow, but it's growing.

I admire many parts of Southern culture, and even though I think the Civil War is a blemish on their history, it is still a big part of our history as a nation. I doubt the average black person sees that statue everyday and is instantly morose, though of course I'm white as hell. I think our national obsession with symbolism is becoming an issue as well. Let's get our house in order and then start worrying about the decorations.

Well said.

The article says that a new location was given but not taken because people didnt donated to it.

By this logic, shouldn't the people who wanted it removed have paid for that?

Lol at people who support the statue donating to a new location for it. Seems kinda wrong doesn't it.

By this logic, shouldn't the people who wanted it removed have paid for that?

They did paid for that, it costed US$100,000 to remove it as per the article.

They did paid for that, it costed US$100,000 to remove it as per the article.

I didn't see anything regarding the people fighting for removal paying for it. Or were you referring to taxpayers in general? I'll retract my snark if there's something I'm missing.

A Civil War statue was being transferred/removed in Forest Park, MO because it's a Confederate Memorial. I didn't think it would be much of an issue however since it's a representation of the south at the time yoyo's were having a field day.

The last I heard of this was the transfer/removal of the statue was left as the city's responsibility according to its new homeowner, the museum. The museum was offering a space available yet as a donation, and I can't say I blame them.

https://www.google.com/amp/stlouis....move-confederate-monument-in-forest-park/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ksdk...nues-to-remove-confederate-monument/439968258

Fuck these liberal cocksuckers who don't know shit about history.

I didn't see anything regarding the people fighting for removal paying for it. Or were you referring to taxpayers in general? I'll retract my snark if there's something I'm missing.

The city is the one that wants its removal and its paying for it.

The city is the one that wants its removal and its paying for it.

Alright, well I think that's a bit of a grey area. I doubt the city just decided on it's own one day to start ripping up landmarks, but I'll admit I don't know.

Alright, well I think that's a bit of a grey area. I doubt the city just decided on it's own one day to start ripping up landmarks, but I'll admit I don't know.

Well, the city paid for its placement where it stands 100 years ago, and the city now pays for its removal.

There was a compromise that would had put the monument in another place, but it failed due to lack of fundraising.

Well, the city paid for its placement where it stands 100 years ago, and the city now pays for its removal.

There was a compromise that would had put the monument in another place, but it failed due to lack of fundraising.

Eh, I just think that's a little hypocritical. The taxpayer (who I doubt were consulted) is paying for the removal, the city says another place is okay, but private citizens have to raise X dollars.

Eh, I just think that's a little hypocritical. The taxpayer (who I doubt were consulted) is paying for the removal, the city says another place is okay, but private citizens have to raise X dollars.

But it wasnt hypocritical when it was placed in the first place?

But it wasnt hypocritical when it was placed in the first place?

If the government then offered the people a chance to raise money to buy the land for something else instead of the statue, then sure. I think it makes the government look lazy and reactionary to leave everything after removal to private interests, when I think there is probably separate private interest driving the removal.

If the government then offered the people a chance to raise money to buy the land for something else instead of the statue, then sure. I think it makes the government look lazy and reactionary to leave everything after removal to private interests, when I think there is probably separate private interest driving the removal.

Again, public money was used to place the statue in the first place, so why are you harping about public money being used to remove the statue?

A museum wanted the statue and it couldnt raise money because people dont give a fuck about history or arts, they just complain about the removal because they feel they are losing power.

I'd like to know where they came up with the $100k estimate for removing it. Rent a crane and a semi with a flat bed. Load it up, then dump it on Billy Bob's lawn. It should be $10k max.

Just take down all iconography, all memorials, all monuments, all plaques. Strip the names of all citizens from streets remove it all in the interest of fairness. If one person's, town's or city's history is troubling then they are all potentially troubling to someone.

I'm waiting on NYC to officially declare that the Statue of Liberty no longer be referred to as Lady Liberty, just Liberty in the interest of non-binary sensibilities. After all, we really don't know what it's packing under that robe.

There's a lot of German heritage in Missouri due to World War I history. At one time St Louis city streets even had German names of course they were changed over the course of time.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/century-old-war-leaves-lasting-impact-st-louis-german-identity

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stlt...3f37dcc1-2aa5-5289-af22-3a0427975d58.amp.html

Again, public money was used to place the statue in the first place, so why are you harping about public money being used to remove the statue?

A museum wanted the statue and it couldnt raise money because people dont give a fuck about history or arts, they just complain about the removal because they feel they are losing power.

Well, because I believe removing something should require more thought and context than placing it, to be honest. It was put there for a reason, and there are legitimate reasons for removal. I just think this whole kerfuffle has neatly avoided the realm of honest debate. Then taxpayer money is spent on one side of it, while demanding citizens pay to preserve the other. I really can't argue the intents or morals of people 100 years ago, honestly. Would you wager more people were for the statue then than are against it now?

I say remove it all. Maybe some day, hopefully soon, people will quit bitching that all of their problems are caused by slavery.

Back