Civil War Museum Closes Doors After Politician Demands Confederate Flags Be Eliminated

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
A Civil War battlefield museum in Georgia is closing its doors after a local politician demanded that the establishment discontinues its use of the Confederate flag.
After Commissioner Dee Clemmons of Hampton, Georgia, demanded that the Nash Farm Battlefield Museum tear down the flags in its Confederate displays that explain the battle to visitors, the museum decided to close its doors, saying it could not properly explain history if half of its displays were to be censored, WFMY reported.

Tim Knight, who represents the nonprofit group that runs the museum, said Clemmons spoke with the color of authority of the county and felt that he was given no choice but to close the museum.

“Nash Farms has always represented both sides of the conflict,” Stuart Carter, a supporter of the museum, said of the five-year-old establishment.

“Sure I understand some people find the imaging of (the Confederacy) offensive,” Carter added. “But if we try and erase it from history, then we can’t remember how we messed up and why we shouldn’t go back there again.”

The group running the museum insisted that it could not properly relay the history of the 1864 battle without its Confederate artifacts and displays.

But a county spokesperson said it was “reasonable” to demand that the Confederate flag displays be censored.

“I think it’s reasonable. I think there were plenty of artifacts in the museum that can tell the story of the Civil War. And I think it was a reasonable request,” county spokeswoman Melissa Robinson said.

The controversy comes amid similar discussions in states across the south, as Charlottesville, Virginia, and New Orleans, Louisiana, debate removing Confederate symbols and memorials.

Things are moving quickly to officially eliminate the memory of the Confederacy in the South. I predict that it will eventually be illegal to display a confederate flag or memorial in venue other than potentially in ones home as it will be classified as a hate symbol.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...itician-demands-confederate-flags-eliminated/

Why close the museum rather than just telling the whiny complainers to fuck off?

Nahhhhhhhh. I agree with removing it from public places, but this is a museum. If the Berlin wall can be in museums all over the world, then I don't beef with confederate flags.

This is one where I do agree with southerners. The flag should be in a museum, just like the outdated and backwards ideologies the flag represents.

A2.jpg

Nahhhhhhhh. I agree with removing it from public places, but this is a museum. If the Berlin wall can be in museums all over the world, then I don't beef with confederate flags.

This is one where I do agree with southerners. The flag should be in a museum, just like the outdated and backwards ideologies the flag represents.

The flag represents a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Kind of like the American flag.

It's a museum to the civil war, it's part of the history. Only people that would see it in the museum wouldn't likely be offended by it...

The flag represents a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Kind of like the American flag.

You can say the Hakenkreuz means that you believe in love for man, equal rights, and purple drank for everyone...doesn't make it any less of a representation of Nazi ideology.

Can't retcon history.

Why close the museum rather than just telling the whiny complainers to fuck off?
Commissioner Dee Clemmons of Hampton, Georgia, demanded that the Nash Farm Battlefield Museum tear down the flags in its Confederate displays that explain the battle to visitors, the museum decided to close its doors, saying it could not properly explain history if half of its displays were to be censored, WFMY reported.

Tim Knight, who represents the nonprofit group that runs the museum, said Clemmons spoke with the color of authority of the county and felt that he was given no choice but to close the museum.

We're 20 years away from portraying the Civil War as America defeating the White Walkers beyond the wall and saving the galaxy.

You can say the Hakenkreuz means that you believe in love for man, equal rights, and purple drank for everyone...doesn't make it any less of a representation of Nazi ideology.

Can't retcon history.

If you actually study the history of the Confederate Flag you'll realize that it's "meaning"--if we want to call it that--has evolved a lot over the years.

Growing up in Tennessee, I always flew it as a symbol of the South, the Southern Flag if you will. And for most people I knew that was what it represented: the Southern states. To fly the flag meant that we were proud of our Southern heritage and the uniquely Southern contributions to the American landscape.

But don't take my word for it. Consider this excerpt from an article on the flag's history:

The flag was a familiar part of the South’s symbolic landscape, but how and where it was used was controlled. Hints of change were evident by the early 20th century. The battle flag had emerged not only as the most popular symbol of the Confederacy, but also of the South more generally. By the 1940s, as Southern men mingled more frequently with non-Southerners in the U.S. Armed Forces and met them on the gridiron, they expressed their identity as Southerners with Confederate battle flags.

If you actually study the history of the Confederate Flag you'll realize that it's "meaning"--if we want to call it that--has evolved a lot over the years.

Growing up in Tennessee, I always flew it as a symbol of the South, the Southern Flag if you will. And for most people I knew that was what it represented: the Southern states. To fly the flag meant that we were proud of our Southern heritage and the uniquely Southern contributions to the American landscape.

But don't take my word for it. Consider this excerpt from an article on the flag's history:

Cool story bro, you took the flag of slavers and made it your team identifier.

I guess ol' Colonel Reb down there at Ole Miss is just them showing how much they love Mississippi and not a stylized plantation owner. :rolleyes:

Commissioner Dee Clemmons of Hampton, Georgia, demanded that the Nash Farm Battlefield Museum tear down the flags in its Confederate displays that explain the battle to visitors, the museum decided to close its doors, saying it could not properly explain history if half of its displays were to be censored, WFMY reported.

And? Is "the color of authority of the county" some legal term for trumping the First Amendment and I've never heard of it?

Cool story bro, you took the flag of slavers and made it your team identifier.

I guess ol' Colonel Reb down there at Ole Miss is just them showing how much they love Mississippi and not a stylized plantation owner. :rolleyes:

Well I guess since you're going to be a dick about it. . .

_83815902_026994687-1.jpg

confed.jpg

808223_630x354.jpg

b50950d3cb285160fea6706be8f7af9c.jpg

live-a-dukes-of-hazard-fantasy-with-this-1968-charger-general-lee-rental-daisy-duke-not-included_6.jpg

a8cc784244e9153e916a7e2fc16af88abe01ae3b.jpeg

And? Is "the color of authority of the county" some legal term for trumping the First Amendment and I've never heard of it?
He felt that the commissioner was speaking in an official capacity and likely that it wasn't cost effective to try and battle the decision given that they were a non-profit group that likely relied on donations to keep the museum running.

Back