Cigarette smokers in MMA?

Signtracker

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I don't why but smoking cigarettes seems mild for MMA fighters. trainers, nutritionists, managers and promoters alike, and it wouldn't be controversial at all if they are spotted doing it, would it? Is there any famous example that comes to your mind?

sakurabashirt.jpg

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/11...-the-great-kazushi-sakuraba-and-other-stories

Myth and Man

Twenty minutes is a long time to go without a cigarette break, but that’s what Sakuraba does at the Long Beach Convention Center on a warm Saturday afternoon. He and Renzo cancel each other out for 20 long minutes of grappling at Metamoris 5 -- the last half of which Sakuraba spends pivoting on his back, keeping his limbs close. Neither man can be submitted.

I don't know about cigarettes but I have seen a bunch of fighters smoke cigars.

idk, but for the long run no athlete should smoke....

At the highest level today impossible, it kills your cardio.
Fighters today are doing everything to get even the lightest advantage.

Rampage used to smoke too, so I've heard/read.

GSP told a story about a muay thai master who smoked all day long and then kicked everyone's ass at Tristar

anecdotal story but true. I used to Army Guard drill with a 38 year old 92G (army cook). He was a grizzled black dude who hauled pulp wood for a living. He was a chain smoker and would be puffing a cig at the starting line, put it out to run the two-mile (in 11-something!) and then light up again the second he crossed the finish line. Dude was something else. Also one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Sergeant Willie Hawkins.

Saku, Drew Fickett. Joe Schilling smokes also. Not a fighter, but Jason Parillo smokes.

Serious question.

Since in the U.S. it's practically legal in many states to smoke pot,why the fuck would anyone smoke tobaco?

It'd be hard to train and smoke. I gave up a few months ago and now have twice the energy i had while smoking.

"Here’s a guy that probably only ate cake the week of the fight, and after weigh-ins he’d have a few cigarettes. That’s the type of guy Karo was."

-NEIL MELANSON

Back