Chuck Schumer

I remember days like that. I had one guy who wasn't a complete weirdo/piece-of-shit, but he went full Pineapple Express thinking we were good friends. Good riddance to those days, I say.
True story, one day I was trying to get a bag and the friend who usually got it for me wasn't home. I knew where he got it so I figured fuck it, what do I have to lose, I'll just go to the guys house and see if he'll sell me some dope. I knocked on the guys door and said "Look, I've sat down the road while Tim (my friend) got weed from you, can I just get a bag from you or what?"

The guy looked at me like I was nuts then burst out laughing and said "sure buddy, come on in."

Lucky I didn't get shot or something, looking back on it.

Yeah I play drums and guitar. Mostly rock. I like r&b and jazz too but I don't play it so much. My biggest musical influence is probably Queen; an amazingly talented and skilled group of guys.

You play guitar right?
I play bass. I'm not big on jazz but I like pretty much everything else.

I play guitar too but consider myself a bass player first. I've never felt comfortable as a guitar player in a band.

I play bass. I'm not big on jazz but I like pretty much everything else.

I play guitar too but consider myself a bass player first. I've never felt comfortable as a guitar player in a band.

haha I'm the opposite. I play a bit of bass (if I'm recording my own music I usually do those parts myself) but I don't feel as comfortable doing that as I do drums or guitar. I probably wouldn't play drums in a band, either. Not sure I'd be versatile enough. I suppose it depends on the music.

Decriminalization =/= legalization

Go back to the drawing board, Chuck, you stupid fucking partisan hack piece of shit.

It will effectively make it legal on the federal level. States or even local jurisdictions can do what they want however which is why there are still dry counties (counties where the sell of alcohol is prohibited)

It will effectively make it legal on the federal level. States or even local jurisdictions can do what they want however which is why there are still dry counties (counties where the sell of alcohol is prohibited)

I'm fine with states making the decision for themselves, personally. I think states that passed legislature to illegalize it would be wrong, but that's their business.

Read another post of mine above. Theres legitimate concerns with this half in/half out bs

Read another post of mine above. Theres legitimate concerns with this half in/half out bs

Unless theres an amendment where your right to use marijuana is enshrined as a constitutional right (or a supreme court ruling like Roe v Wade), the states will always be free to outlaw it no matter what the federal government does. The best you can hope for on the federal level is to deschedule it which is what this bill does.

Unless theres an amendment where your right to use marijuana is enshrined as a constitutional right (or a supreme court ruling like Roe v Wade), the states will always be free to outlaw it no matter what the federal government does. The best you can hope for on the federal level is to deschedule it which is what this bill does.
I think theres no shortage of attorneys ready to take on that challenge. It's a telling sign when the federal government has something banned for decades then reverses course. I'm not a lawyer so maybe there isn't anything to it but I'm certain we'll find out when a guy is jailed for an extended time for weed after it's rescheduled federally. Maybe states will be forced to provide legit reasons for weed being illegal

I think theres no shortage of attorneys ready to take on that challenge. It's a telling sign when the federal government has something banned for decades then reverses course. I'm not a lawyer so maybe there isn't anything to it but I'm certain we'll find out when a guy is jailed for an extended time for weed after it's rescheduled federally. Maybe states will be forced to provide legit reasons for weed being illegal

Well, its certainly not obvious to me what constitutional grounds someone would have to bring a lawsuit challenging a state's marijuana laws but I'm not a lawyer. I don't think anyone jailed because of a state law would have any recourse because its legal on the federal level.

This is an important step because its moves the needle forward towards higher mainstream acceptance. Eventually, that acceptance reaches a tipping point where the states basically either have to legalize or ignore their own laws (if they don't want their court systems bogged down with possession cases). It would be like trying to go back to prohibition today. You can't do it effectively so everyone will decriminalize. And once that happens, it makes little sense to not allow legal sales (might as well get the tax revenue instead of only allowing drug dealers to profit). I think we'll eventually settle where alcohol is today. Possession is basically legal everywhere and its essentially ubiquitous but some places restrict sales (either by fully outlawing sales or by limiting potency). I'm guessing 20-ish years for it to happen (it'll happen a lot sooner than that pretty much everywhere but the bible belt and ultra conservative states like Utah).

Should have paid a lawyer to fight the fine purely out of spite.

Yeah I realize decriminalization is the way forward. I'm just a bitter asshole about it because I know it's complete bullshit and a waste of time+money to not just outright legalize.
No, that would have been a horribly misguided and self-flagellating crusade. I broke the law. I ran that stop sign on my bike just like I did every other night I came home from work. Ridiculous citation, indeed, but the letter of the law favored the cop, not me.

That wasn't the point of the anecdote.

Back