Chuck Liddell without Pride Fighting | Page 2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Rayrobinson#1, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Patman Brown Belt

Patman
    The LHW would have been tits if they were combined. I think it would have been like the post-Chuck and pre-Bones era where the title often changed hands.

Yeah, I think Chuck would've struggled with the Pride guys, but I also think the Pride guys would have struggled with Tito and Randy. They don't have soccer kicks, stomps, and knees to a grounded opponent to be able to punish wrestlers for missed shots.

2. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    We saw how Randy struggled with Nog though, granted I think he improved from his spell in Japan in the late 90's but just as Chuck avoided strikers in the UFC so Randy avoided elite grapplers besides Barnett who he got swept/TKOed by and K-1 Gonzaga who wasnt interested in grappling.

You look at Shoguns career and Jones is the only guy to ever hold him down sucessfully without him being terribley gassed, everyone else he breaks free and vs Tito and Randy they means a Shogun TKO sooner or latter IMHO.

3. Spiderbite Purple Belt

Spiderbite

I gotta watch that fight again, 'cause i remember crocop puttin' it on Wand, like, wasn't even close.

4. Mufasatheking Purple Belt

Mufasatheking
    I think hes talking about the first fight, which quite a few people had as wand winning, but the rules said that if it went the distance it would be an automatic draw.

5. Mufasatheking Purple Belt

Mufasatheking
    But no one in his Pride career *tried* to hold him down.

Tbh it would have been chuck caught in several trilogies were he would lose some and win some

6. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    I'm guessing he means the first fight back in 2002.

7. Spiderbite Purple Belt

Spiderbite
    My bad, i was thinking GP.

8. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Arona? Nak? Randleman? I'm sure all of them would have been very happy to hold him down and indeed did it sucessfully to many other fighters.

9. WalkenWouldOwn Steel Belt

WalkenWouldOwn
    Prime Chuck vs Wand would be interesting, shame we never got to see it! I think prime Shogun beats any version of Chuck, and we know what happened with Rampage.

10. Blackened Black Belt

Blackened
    Wand/Crocop? Did we watch the same fights? That was some of Crocop's best work!

11. chickensteakmma Yellow Belt

chickensteakmma
    Chuck always took big shots to land big shots and he was able to withstand that against guys like Mezger and Overeem. At the time, Wand, Rampage and Shogun would have all beat him.

12. Wax999 Blue Belt

Wax999
    I like how someone said Chuck avoided strikers in the UFC...Dumbest thing I've read in this thread. Dude fought everyone till his final fight, grapplers, strikers, didn't matter.

The thing about Pride is that you could stomp, kick/knee grounded opponents, in the UFC that shit wouldn't happen so you have to also factor in a different training style as well. IMO, the toughest fights outside of Rampage that Chuck would have would've been Shogun Rua and Lil' Nog. Lil Nog just being such a good boxer and BJJ fighter I think he would've been able to drop Chuck. Shogun had the clinch work that would've helped him a great deal up against the fence, body shots for days. I think Wanderlai would've been amazing, but comparing the competition each faced during their peak I would actually give Chuck the edge. I think the way their fight went down in the UFC is exactly how it would've played out in Pride.

13. Strip White Belt

Strip
    soccer kicks and foot stomp would made all the different in a Fight with Wandy and Chuck. Wandy drop Chuck in UFC and didn't know what to do with him

14. Magjee Black Belt

Magjee
    Hard to tell, I know Page beat him in the Ring and the Cage, but I think a Prime super chin Chuck would have done better if that '03 fight was in the Octagon.

15. MiroHa Black Belt

MiroHa
    I was talking about the first fight in Pride 20 which had special Pride vs. K-1 rules. I'm pretty sure it was 5x3min rounds, if the fight went to ground it was stood up after 30secs and there were no judges. Cro Cop of course was getting the better of Wand standing but Wand was able to strike with him and took him down several times.

16. edirpfc** Blue Belt

edirpfc**
    he could have been champ. i would think he destroys most non elite guys and goes win/loss with the best of prides at the time.

17. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    It depends what you mean but "avoided", I think Chuck would have fought whoever was put infront of him and that included a few strikers outside of the UFC than he beat(Mezger, Pele, Overeem) but those were all tough fights for him. That said I do think the UFC were more than happy to match him up vs grapplers(most of whome he'd already beaten) and limate the risk rather than sign up strikers.

Really I think the truth of Chuck's career is that "his era" was more the first third of the decade like Wanderlei when he was at his physical peak and many of the newer faces at LHW like Shogun and Lil Nog were still rising. Thats really were I think he gave his most impressive performances where as his UFC title run was rather more manifactured.

18. Mufasatheking Purple Belt

Mufasatheking
    Just rewatched randleman and arona, they got shogun down easily but shogun still managed to get up/sweep without much effort. I think Tito would have been able to hold him down but randy would have trouble (he might be able to wall clinch for a while but still get beaten in the end).

19. MiroHa Black Belt

MiroHa
    Wand: Cro Cop x2, Hunt, Rampage x2, Arona x2, Hendo x2, Saku x3, Fujita...
    Chuck: Monson, Randleman, Bustamante, Belfort, Babalu x2, Ortiz x2, Couture x3...

Those are the best guys Wand fought in Pride and Chuck fought in UFC before Pride's demise. Personally I'd have to give an edge to Wand in level of competition.

20. lockon Black Belt

lockon
    he would have been champ, but not that long.