Choy Li Fut VS Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by mjw1, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mjw1 Blue Belt

mjw1
    "Choy Li Fut is the most effective system that I've seen for fighting more than one person. [It] is one of the most difficult styles to attack and defend against. Choy Li Fut is the only style [of kung fu] that traveled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers and hadn't lost."

2. Snubnoze707 มวยไทย

Snubnoze707
    I remember there was a post with a bunch of pictures from a Kung Fu vs Muay Thai event back in the 60's if I remember correctly, but all the Kung Fu guys got their ass kicked. Not sure what he's referring to though.

3. Jukai Silver Belt

Jukai
    Don't know much about it other than it's a unification art of North/South Kung Fu. I question the Bruce Lee statement cause Bruce Lee didn't really talk in absolutes like that (and it only seems to be quoted out of one book and nothing else).

Still, I checked it out in youtube and you see a lot of Choy Li Fut fighters in Sanda and Muay Thai fights. They ain't cleaning house, but the fact that the fighters are able to compete in the tournaments like that says something about the art.

4. LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

LEGS MAHONEY
    Yeah not sure about it either but choy lay fut is one of the few kung fu styles where all the "families" of the system are well represented in kickboxing.

5. AutoFire Yellow Belt

AutoFire
    I remember they used to talk about the choy le fut and the wing chun guys battling for who was the better Hong Kong fighters. Choy Le Fut is such a big system with tons of forms, weapons, wooden dummies and wing chun very compact and much shorter in terms of forms, weapons, dummy.

There were several kung fu vs muay thai fights in different periods and the muay thai guys won. But the kung fu guys were trying all the classical shit so they got stomped once they adopted the pseudo-muay thai modern sanda/sanshou they did alot better.

6. GeoLaureate8 White Belt

GeoLaureate8
    I'd say Choy Lee Fut (Cai Li Fo) wins over Muay Thai. It would be too elusive for them.

It's also considered one of the 3 great martial arts of southern China: Hung Ga, Wing Chun, and Choy Lee Fut.

7. mjw1 Blue Belt

mjw1
    Yeah I've heard of the choy le fut vs wing chun roof top fights in hong kong as rivals before. However I was wondering about these fights bruce lee was talking about or perhaps there were a few kung fu guys who won and possibley were choy le fut who knows.

8. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
    lol

9. KOPower24 Rocky Mountain Belt

KOPower24
    No. Choy Li Fut is a good fight style, but it cannot beat Muay Thai in a pure fighting sense. For fancy name it wins hands down though.

10. mjw1 Blue Belt

mjw1
    I think the funny name comes from 3 people that the head dude learned from but not sure

11. Watsurgol White Belt

Watsurgol
    Choy and Li are both the last names of people whose styles he learned (called Choy style and Li style, interestingly enough). Fut isn't actually someone's name but it's what the style was called.

So basically it's a mixed martial art. I'm surprised we don't see in the UFC more. You could use the Choy techniques against long range stylists, Li once you got inside, and Fut on the ground.

12. Payak Professional Fighter

Payak
    the reoson you dont see it in the ufc is because the fighters adopt techniques from arts that are proven effective.
    boxing,muay thai,wrestling,bjj, they all compete in realistic combat as oppossed to many arts standind in a room punching air.
    choy li fut has not proven itself yet, hundreds of years to do so but still has not, why is that.

13. Jukai Silver Belt

Jukai
    Congrats on not reading anything in this thread.

14. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
    I think he was responding to Watsurgol's post..

15. Jukai Silver Belt

Jukai
    I know he was.
    There are plenty of youtube videos of Choy Lee Fut fighters competing in kickboxing and Sanda tournaments, and holding their own. It's not some mystical ninjitsu or kung fu shit which has no practical application. Can you make it work at the highest of levels? I don't know. But saying it is unproven when this is one of the few Kung Fu styles that actively updates itself and actually will compete in kickboxing and sanshou/sanda tournaments is ignorant.

16. LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

LEGS MAHONEY
    choy li fut shouldn't have a problem transitioning to mma. If we see a fighter from the style there the only problem is we will see the typical barrage of "That doesnt look like kung fu it looks like kick boxing herp derp"

17. Soju White Belt

Soju
    Elusive? You say Choy Lee Fut man run away?

18. barnowl Green Belt

barnowl
    Elusive? Choy Li Fut, is knowing for standing it's ground and exchanging.

19. Payak Professional Fighter

Payak
    my point is if you ask most people what they think about choy li fut, there answer will be choy what what.
    after so many years why is that, boxing and muay thai are well known, why is that.

20. LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

LEGS MAHONEY
    If you ask alot of people many things you get a dumb ass answer.This doesn't help your point.