Choosing a weight class

MMAFanboy99

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Obviously cutting weight is a big issue in MMA and guys like Masvidal are coming up from 155 to 170, but how should one choose a weight class? I had my first fight at 160 and that was a little rough to make, but I don't know that I would be big enough for 170 right now. Should I try adding muscle or just suck it up and go to 155?

Obviously cutting weight is a big issue in MMA and guys like Masvidal are coming up from 155 to 170, but how should one choose a weight class? I had my first fight at 160 and that was a little rough to make, but I don't know that I would be big enough for 170 right now. Should I try adding muscle or just suck it up and go to 155?

Depends how much you walk around at, in shape.

i walked around 195-205 fought at 185 and grappled at 179.9. today i'd think 205 would be hard for me to maintain but could probably make. i'm 235

I think cutting weight is dumb, but then I've only done it once and that was to hit 105kilos. I just had to watch what I ate and cut some water weight.

I think I was outweighed in all but one or two of my fights, I admittedly had the reach in all though.

If it's amateur it doesn't matter too much and I'd want to fight very close to where I walked around. If you're smaller, be better.

I appreciate my advice is counter to what most people say and it's likely entirely due to my size. There's a George Foreman quote I love to call upon when asked this, it's "a lion doesn't cut weight to fight with house cats."

Ask your coach! They will tell you what is best after seeing you train, asses your current weight and diet, etc. They've made a career out of training fighters, so they have years of experience deciding for you.

That said, the healthy way of cutting weight is with careful dieting along with lots of exercise ( while you are in fight camp. ) Maybe you should do a mock camp along with another fighter that's training for a fight? Up your frequency going to the gym, clean up your diet, etc. See how much you lose. That, by the end of the camp, should be your weight class.

If you want to lose 2 - 4 pounds extra, they usually do it in saunas, or with sweatsuits, or with cardio, or all three at once. Some people can lose over 10 pounds doing this - but they nearly kill themselves in the process. Well I take that back, people HAVE died doing it.

I appreciate my advice is counter to what most people say and it's likely entirely due to my size. There's a George Foreman quote I love to call upon when asked this, it's "a lion doesn't cut weight to fight with house cats."

<seedat>
Cool quote

I agree with Phlog on the weight cutting for the amateurs. If you want to make it to the pros, I suggest using the amateur fights as an opportunity to get used to cutting weights, but, if you just want to have a couple fights, simply pick the closest weight class to your regular body weight and eat healthy. I also fought at 160 lbs, which is what I was walking around at the time. I fought guys bigger, but I felt like a million buck walking in because I didn't have to cut weight, and I think that's underrated.

Back