CHOCOLATITO = HYPE JOB

I don't get it. The guy basically dominated three weight classes, put on a lot of one sided beatings and had a huge percentage of kayos in the early rounds ESPECIALLY for that weight class. He's a very exciting fighter to watch, he operates in the pocket, rarely hit clean, and always had that tension of getting the knockout similar to higher weights. Then he finally met someone significantly bigger who could take his power and has power of his own, one who almost seemed tailor made for someone with Chocolatito's style, who was stronger, has a great chin, and hardly took a step backward. And now it seems like some people want to just totally discount everything he has accomplished lol

I also feel like people aren't giving srisaket sor rungvisai enough credit. He's a solid fighter, whether you can pronounce his name or not. He obviously learned from their first encounter and made adjustments. My guess is he had the realization that Chocolatito couldn't hurt him and that's how he fought.

Watching his family cry as he lay unconscious was tough to watch. I found that classless by HBO to immediately cut to his wife after he gets knocked out.

That is HBO's main move these days.

Even before bothering to replay a knockout or stoppage they go to the grieving family and loved ones. First time I noticed it was when Marquez taught Pacman that life is better where it is wetter under the sea. They showed his wife in the worst moment of her life and even replayed her reaction. It was brutal. Kept following her around too.

You are a harsh fool.

Gonzalez is a four division champ and just because you fail to realize the names on his resume, doesn't mean they fail to contribute to how impressive he is as a fighter. He fought everybody. He never ducked a guy and he took on some real game fighters when he was champ. He didn't wait for someone to get old, and he didn't avoid a single guy.

To be honest, a guy with a high pace, high pressure style like Gonzalez bit off more than he could chew against a gigantic southpaw and he did so at an age where fighters like him tend to fade or realize they need to suddenly reinvent themselves. Like nobody does that though, except Roberto Duran, who at around 30 became more of a boxer-puncher than a swarmer.

You can't hate on a guy that fought in an exciting way, had a vicious science to his style, and fought anybody he could get his hands on.

Much respect to Gonzalez. He left it all in the ring. What have you done lately TS?

You are a harsh fool.

Gonzalez is a four division champ and just because you fail to realize the names on his resume, doesn't mean they fail to contribute to how impressive he is as a fighter. He fought everybody. He never ducked a guy and he took on some real game fighters when he was champ. He didn't wait for someone to get old, and he didn't avoid a single guy.

Not true, and not true.
He never fought anyone notably younger than him. He went out of his way to avoid Inoue. Everyone he fought was either of his generation or a generation older than him. But at this point im repeating myself.

"He fought competition of his generation or older (like 36yr old Edgar Sosa; or 30yr old Soto, Solado, Vargas while Roman was 24) but avoided anyone from the newer generation (basically anyone 5 years younger). His title wins are against people a generation older than him, but he denied the young blood that same shot."

"Gonzalez wasn't a bad guy, he was a great fighter coming up. He had age on his side alongside his talent. But as you noted, he got greedy, while HBO and some spectators began overrating him and protecting him. I'm getting flack for this, but mark my word a year or two from now. Everyone will have figured it out, that in his final years he deliberately avoided fighting against the youth. He has a better resume than a LOT of guys in his weight range, true, but most of those guys weren't called p4p #1."

Last edited:
After the first fight, I was one of the few who said that I could see how he lost the first fight. I thought it was a close fight that could have gone either way.

Before that, in a discussion about his p4p status, I said eff that, and boxreced the shit out of him, as well as youtubing a number of videos. I said he was being overrated.

I still stand by both those opinions. I would search and find these specific postd, and the subsequent shit I got for my posts.. But I just got my internet back after Irma, so whateva

A lot of the hate, is just a reaction. HBO and Ring overdid it with their marketing, and hence, why people are labeling him a hypejob.

They didn't overdo it, I understand the reasoning behind having him ranked no.1 (Even though I disagree with it). Floyd retired in 2015, and that's when Chocolatito became ranked no.1. Pacquiao had lost, so you can't rank him no.1. Ward had one fight after a 1.5 year layoff against Paul Smith at a CW. Golovkin was still building his name, as was Kovalev. Rigo was inactive. That left Roman as the only choice by default because he had a nice looking record, he was undefeated, he was a multi division champ and he had beaten good fighters.

I do think Andre Ward has never been given the respect he deserves. Before the McGregor fight a lot of people argued that Floyd should be automatically P4P #1 the second he decides to un-retire. On the other hand Ward was downgraded as soon as he started having the injury/promotional issues.

As far as i'm concerned, Ward is the clear cut #1 right now, and Lomachenko isn't close to him.

Ward had beaten one good fighter in the past 4 years. He didn't fight for two of those years. Why does that make him a shoe in?

Ward had beaten one good fighter in the past 4 years. He didn't fight for two of those years. Why does that make him a shoe in?
So if a fighter you liked beat kovalev twice you'd say the same right?

4 years is a perfectly arbitrary timeframe that conveniently leaves out the Supersix and wins against Kessler, Abraham, and Froch. And thats not even considering how good Kovalev was, he was a consensus top 5 P4P. You can't just write that off with a "he's only beaten one good fighter" argument. Canelo, Loma, GGG dont sniff a win that good in their entire careers let alone 2 wins back to back. Ward's resume shits on every other P4P candidate. So yes, he is a shoe in P4P #1.

But to answer your question about recent activity, Ward hasnt only beaten one good fighter, he has won 3 of his last 4 fights against Barrera and Kovalev, both top 5 fighters in arguably the deepest weightclass in boxing. They had combined records of like 55-1 when he fought them. The Barrera win keeps looking better and better. The inactivity argument for Ward is stale, he has better wins over the past year and a half than Loma, GGg and every other P4P candidate. If you keep harping on his inactivity then you have an agenda.

Last edited:

I don't like Ward at all but he came off a long layoff and went up in weight and beat the most feared fighter in the sport, twice. The second time he beat him so horribly that Kov said he wanted to retire even though he is pretty much in his prime. Ward took his belts and his heart and his balls regardless of the fact Kov had the power to drop him hard with one clean shot. He took a stab at greatness and it paid off beautifully twice.

If you can't respect and acknowledge how special and rare those two wins really are YDKSAB!

I don't like Ward at all but he came off a long layoff and went up in weight and beat the most feared fighter in the sport, twice. The second time he beat him so horribly that Kov said he wanted to retire even though he is pretty much in his prime. Ward took his belts and his heart and his balls regardless of the fact Kov had the power to drop him hard with one clean shot. He took a stab at greatness and it paid off beautifully twice.

If you can't respect and acknowledge how special and rare those two wins really are YDKSAB!

The first win was controversial. The second one was very good even with the ball punching bs. One very good win in 4 years doesn't a top P4P fighter make and you and I both know that.

Nice font work though.

The first win was controversial. The second one was very good even with the ball punching bs. One very good win in 4 years doesn't a top P4P fighter make and you and I both know that.

Nice font work though.
You think one very good win in 4 years is enough?
Barrera is and was a top ranked opponent as well. Again, in a weight class up.

Going up and beating top ranked opponents is how you own p4p.

Great flyweight and light-flyweight.

Overrated and protected Super flyweight. It is what it is.

He fought competition of his generation or older (like 36yr old Edgar Sosa; or 30yr old Soto, Solado, Vargas while Roman was 24) but avoided anyone from the newer generation (basically anyone 5 years younger). His title wins are against people a generation older than him, but he denied the young blood that same shot.

Huh? how is Estrada(his best win) off that list, and he gave a titleshot to?!

Estrada is 3 years younger than him, and JMM named him his successor as the great mexican hero(obviously not Canelo like the interviewer expected, lol).

Titanium was the NABF champ when Roman beat him. Roman is 6 years older than him, and it's still the only KO loss on Rod's record.

You are nitpicking BS, and this is coming from me, the guy who made several threads accusing Roman of avoiding Amnat(who is older than most roman's resume):
like this
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...hting-his-ring-rusted-sloppy-seconds.3172565/
or this
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/amnat-ruenroeng-vs-rom.3065783/

They probably would have fought if that Thai didn't rob him(at least i believe so) the first time which set up the rematch). Plus, when Roman first moved up there, Inoue had 10 fight, I wouldn't wanna be accused of fighting a green fighter either.

They probably would have made the amnat one too if that idiot didn't get KO'ed in the olympics.

Huh? how is Estrada(his best win) off that list, and he gave a titleshot to?!

Estrada is 3 years younger than him, and JMM named him his successor as the great mexican hero(obviously not Canelo like the interviewer expected, lol).

Titanium was the NABF champ when Roman beat him. Roman is 6 years older than him, and it's still the only KO loss on Rod's record.

You are nitpicking BS, and this is coming from me, the guy who made several threads accusing Roman of avoiding Amnat(who is older than most roman's resume):
like this
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...hting-his-ring-rusted-sloppy-seconds.3172565/
or this
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/amnat-ruenroeng-vs-rom.3065783/

They probably would have fought if that Thai didn't rob him(at least i believe so) the first time which set up the rematch). Plus, when Roman first moved up there, Inoue had 10 fight, I wouldn't wanna be accused of fighting a green fighter either.

They probably would have made the amnat one too if that idiot didn't get KO'ed in the olympics.

'Cause i named the fighters older than him, i outright say that. Everyone else is of his generation. Inoue isn't, he's over 6 years younger.

'Cause i named the fighters older than him, i outright say that. Everyone else is of his g
No.. You said:

He never fought anyone notably younger than him

generation or a generation older than him.
eneration. Inoue isn't, he's over 6 years younger.
I gave examples where he did... You're wrong... my second example had the exact same number.. 6 years.
Honestly if he moved only once or twice up instead of a fourth weight class he could have easily been the next fenito lopez, cause unlike him Estrada grew into that weight class and seems comfortable.

You think one very good win in 4 years is enough?

Like a chickenshit you completely dodged my response calling out how impressive beating Kovalev + Barrera 3 times over the last year and a half was. Keep grinding that Ward axe, I guess he's just too uppity for you.

'Cause i named the fighters older than him, i outright say that. Everyone else is of his generation. Inoue isn't, he's over 6 years younger.

You're gonna have to get over the fact that Gonzalez didn't fight Inoue and is still first ballot HOF material. It is very possible to live with it.

Last edited:
Back