China's Chilling 'Social Credit System' Is Straight Out of Dystopian Sci-Fi, And It's Already On

On topic -that’s some fucked up shit. We should be using tech innovation to do awesome shit, not taking people’s lives away, making them more difficult, and putting them under a microscope.

The truly worrying thing is that China has advanced beyond the West and can create facial recognition that can tell Asian people apart.
<{MindBrown}>

lol

On topic -that’s some fucked up shit. We should be using tech innovation to do awesome shit, not taking people’s lives away, making them more difficult, and putting them under a microscope.
Our Robot Overlords will disagree, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Our Robot Overlords will disagree, I'm afraid.

See that’s why I’m one of them there backwards Conservatives that doesn’t like change bud lol. Keep shit simple, don’t overthink it.

But this world is just passing me by tech wise.

<Fedor23>

The next stage of Facebook

It's coming here too

Welcome to the Panopticon.

I still tend to think of this as more bark than anything else (in political context), as the CPC and Chinese societal views in general seem to really care about grand gestures to promote societal management and social cohesion of a large population, but that doesn't make it any less horrifying as a conduit for systemic oppression.

But, as I understand it, its most popular as a sort of reference system for market transactions and consumer information in avoiding scams and swindlers.

180917_Kostka_approval_0.png

The overwhelming support for these programs definitely speaks to the huge difference in views of liberty between Chinese and American citizens.

You live in China?

I mean it's here in the US. Effectively, we already use it both in business terms and social terms, we observe and form opinions of people and estimate their worth based on a million of parameters beyond actual interaction with them... Stupid but facile example is Tinder, or credit scores... All the same shit, metrics - cold numbers and associated attributes - rule our lives even as we don't recognize it necessarily...

In the sage words of one James Hatfield:

V5u3gsH.jpg

People really should look into all the things their SSN is responsible for that SSN was never intended to do.

Dude it's literally impossible to be paranoid in this country because it's ALL true - paranoia is not an unrealistic fear here but an acute awareness of the reality

Google is working on a search engine for China that will allow it's government to be able to access the phone numbers of people by their username.
Old skynet really backpedaled on their old motto.

google_dont_be_evil.jpg

I still tend to think of this as more bark than anything else (in political context), as the CPC and Chinese societal views in general seem to really care about grand gestures to promote societal management and social cohesion of a large population, but that doesn't make it any less horrifying as a conduit for systemic oppression.

But, as I understand it, its most popular as a sort of reference system for market transactions and consumer information in avoiding scams and swindlers.

180917_Kostka_approval_0.png

The overwhelming support for these programs definitely speaks to the huge difference in views of liberty between Chinese and American citizens.

You live in China?

lol

Who are we really relying on for these numbers tho?

And that seems to reflect the feelings of roughly 2000 people -with internet access. If memory serves, that is limited in China and its monitored/censored, no?

I don’t know if this chart is really a true reflection of what the majority of people think and feel about this over there. China is still China after all..

I was hoping Black Mirror episodes would start happening in real life

Google is working on a search engine for China that will allow it's government to be able to access the phone numbers of people by their username.

I’m just shocked they don’t already have this.

Wow, definitely like black mirror.

Though we kinda already have something here, like social media and credit scores, but not a hard limit.

Wow, definitely like black mirror.

Though we kinda already have something here, like social media and credit scores, but not a hard limit.
Can't wait for politicians to start banging pigs on live television.

If it was an open system with the basis of your score freely available I think it could be positive.

But it will never be like that, they will always have an opaque system with some factors disclosed but huge amount of room for influence by the ruling party.

Expressing an opinion against the status quo could ruin your law abiding life.

Doesnt sound that bad to me. And chinese are ethnonationalists they dont care.

So basically if you lie, steal, litter and never pay bills you get some privlege taken away. Not big deal. Plus they want it.

West will have it in 20 years or 30

Our media is going for this. The left is going for this. The right? The establishment right may secretly be going for this.

Back