China-millions of donkeys bashed to death with sledge hammers

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ine-traditional-peta-china-asia-a8072081.html

I can't fathom how a developed industrialised country like China , which people tout as having a high IQ, can be soo cruel and believe in quack medicinal cures. Yes I know China has rural areas that are backwards , but even so they have enough industrilalized cities and global economic presense that their affluent class would not support and provide the demand for such cruel behavior.

I suppose it is like the UAE: overtly a 1st world society but still behaves like abusive and exploitative cultures from centuries ago. Glitzy buildings , technology , industry and savy PR doesn't necessarily lead to a compassionate culture as people assume it does

-

Medicine made from donkey skin is popular with affluent Chinese for alleged medicinal benefits.

Donkeys are hit on the head with sledgehammers , because that is the cheapest way to kill them.

Many African countries have banned the export of Donkeys due to domestic shortage and high prices resulting from Chinese demand. This has led to criminals setting up clandestine networks with Chinese to supply them with donkeys. Locals have reported theft of their donkeys, and finding donkey carcases devoid of their skin.

Below quote from an African middleman who used to illicityly supply donkey skins to China.
“It was bad watching the animals suffer,” says the middleman, who no longer trades donkey skins. “They cried out each time another one fell.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...lixir-that-threatens-donkeys-around-the-world

It has long been the case that affluent Chinese demand for quack remedies pushed many species to endangered status or worsened the already exsisting endangered status.

Having just returned from a week and a half trip to china, I have observed that the people are, in many ways, like grown up children.

That's the standard way of slaughtering animals in a lot of places.
Actually, a sledgehammer is pretty high tech.

There's a lot of fucked up places out there.

That's like saying a person who tells a 10 white lies is worse than a person who lies about rape. You are ignoring the severity and degrees of inhumane treatment.

This sounds like whataboutism and delfecting criticism of China. Nobody is claiming we are beyond reproach, what we are is vastly more humane . Unless I am defending US practice and refuse to acknowledge we have issues, I don't see why you are bringing up US practice . You don't see me defending US practices, even though they are not as bad as Chinese practice.

I wasn't the one to bring up U.S practice and how ironic for you to play the whataboutism and deflecting card. That's all you seem to be doing.

This was what I first replied too
We don't treat our livestock like them. Laws in place all for humane killings. Some slaughterhouses not keeping to the law does not mean the culture as a whole condones such behavior.

You can't sit there and tell me our treatment of animals is on par with China. It's like saying our issues with raciam and oppression is on par with Saudi or China, because we still have issues.

And you're understating the treatment of animals with in your very own country. The fact that you guys are so meat crazy means many more animals are suffering as a result and you using the "but it's not as inhumane" excuse is a bit absurd.

I liked your OP because I agreed that this is fucked up and wrong but don't be defending your own counties practices, which come out on top with how many suffer in the end.

I suppose it is like the UAE: overtly a 1st world society but still behaves like abusive and exploitative cultures from centuries ago. Glitzy buildings , technology , industry and savy PR doesn't necessarily lead to a compassionate culture as people assume it does

Easy with the drama bro. The chinese have gone from killing their own by the millions in industrial scale human killing to bashing donkeys in the head and they havent been industrialized for that long either and have had a capitalist system for even less.

Itt we equate mans oldest companion to livestock. While some livestock are as smart, or smarter than some breeds of dogs, they haven't evolved beside us to the same degree over the same period of time. Dogs are known for picking up cues from our body language and having a much greater understanding of our communication methods than other animals. Their basic understanding (not inate), and desire to be our companions sets them apart from other animals imo.

Itt we equate mans oldest companion to livestock. While some livestock are as smart, or smarter than some breeds of dogs, they haven't evolved beside us to the same degree over the same period of time. Dogs are known for picking up cues from our body language and having a much greater understanding of our communication methods than other animals. Their basic understanding (not inate), and desire to be our companions sets them apart from other animals imo.
No it doesn't as much as you would like it to , most dogs are dumb animals who happen to defer to an alpha which people find appealing

Dogs are no different than any other animal you just like them more than others which is fine but those judging other cultures by how they treat dogs are way off the rails

Just wait till food runs out, they will be eating a million hindus a week.

I heard it has something to do with Mao destroying Chinese culture, morals and values. When you starve 3 generation, they'll be greedy, selfish and have no empathy.

I heard it has something to do with Mao destroying Chinese culture, morals and values. When you starve 3 generation, they'll be greedy, selfish and have no empathy.
The West can't claim the moral high ground here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ine-traditional-peta-china-asia-a8072081.html

I can't fathom how a developed industrialised country like China , which people tout as having a high IQ, can be soo cruel and believe in quack medicinal cures. Yes I know China has rural areas that are backwards , but even so they have enough industrilalized cities and global economic presense that their affluent class would not support and provide the demand for such cruel behavior.

-

Medicine made from donkey skin is popular with affluent Chinese for alleged medicinal benefits.

Donkeys are hit on the head with sledgehammers , because that is the cheapest way to kill them.

Many African countries have banned the export of Donkeys due to domestic shortage and high prices resulting from Chinese demand. This has led to criminals setting up clandestine networks with Chinese to supply them with donkeys. Locals have reported theft of their donkeys, and finding donkey carcases devoid of their skin.

Below quote from an African middleman who used to illicityly supply donkey skins to China.
“It was bad watching the animals suffer,” says the middleman, who no longer trades donkey skins. “They cried out each time another one fell.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...lixir-that-threatens-donkeys-around-the-world

It has long been the case that affluent Chinese demand for quack remedies pushed many species to endangered status or worsened the already exsisting endangered status.
Same reason you have high IQ people in the west believe in bs like gods and religions.

Huge difference between old money and new money.

Is it anymore cruel than Jewish new money oligarchs in the former Soviet Union subscribing to a system of kosher ritualistic animal slaughter?

Uh... yeah.

Last edited:
No it doesn't as much as you would like it to , most dogs are dumb animals who happen to defer to an alpha which people find appealing

Dogs are no different than any other animal you just like them more than others which is fine but those judging other cultures by how they treat dogs are way off the rails

Your way of thinking is so revolting and unappealing.

-

Life is more a pragmatic state than a precious state in a lot of Confucian cultures, and they are closer to the hard old state of nature than we are in the West.

A Chinese donkey-killer would say, "Who cares? It is a donkey and I have a family to feed. Would you value my family having less bread so that a donkey dies a slightly less painful death?" and be truly puzzled.

Not to say that is right, wrong, or otherwise, but that is the view.

The practice will probably change somewhat because losing international face is of course important. It will lead to a new cruelty or a coverup of the cruelty. That is also how the system works.

But he has a point.

Dogs matter so much because we personified them and they aided our way of life for a long, long time.

The ties are emotional like so many things in life.

I for one love dogs, but, make no mistake a dog left to the wilds without human guidance is fundamentally immoral as the kill or be killed state of nature.

I think we should be kind to all life, because humanity, and perhaps dolphins and apes can understand something besides pitiless cruelty, but again that is part of being a modern human who fought endless oppression and murder to be free to express these ideas.

That is not history, nor nature, we have a unique and wonderful existence compared to the dark that came before. Shame we do not value modern life more.

That's just western bias

I would say our Occidental opinion is superior when it comes to animal cruelty.

But animal cruelty is different than "animal rights."

Animals can not be part of thinking society or on an equal basis with humanity, they lack the responsibility, understanding, and most important, moral sense to have equal standing with us.

Like children, they must be slaves in some sense, because they do not meet the requirements of taking care of themselves, or others, besides very very primitive systems.

Again, not that we should be cruel to them, but elevating them to standards far beyond what they can meet is unfair to all species.

I think you're being a bit oversensitive here. I'm probably what you'd call an animal lover and the Asian practice of killing dogs and cats (quite inhumanely generally) and eating them bothers me quite a bit.

I also have to recognize that I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I love eating meat. I might try to tend towards meat from animals treated as humanely as possible but it really is odd when you think about it that an animal's life can be valued by how appealing they are as pets. That's all @AnGrYcRoW is saying and I think he's right.

EDIT:Looks like @InternetHero beat me to it. Well said bud.

Easy with the drama bro. The chinese have gone from killing their own by the millions in industrial scale human killing to bashing donkeys in the head and they havent been industrialized for that long either and have had a capitalist system for even less.

What's the drama? And while they aren't slaughtering millions, they are still slowing wiping out the Tibetans and Uighurs.

And why does it take them decades to humanely treat animals. They have been industrialized since the 80s. They are very much part of the industrialized world, global commerce and communication.Their affluent come here to study. Their affluent know how the West is. Even in Hong Kong, which has been under British influence for many decades, and where the locals are quite familiar with Western norms and capitalism, there used to be a huge market for shark fins and other endangered species. They kind of started to take action, but what the heck took them soo long.

I think it comes down to their confusion culture of not having empathy for strangers.

Life is more a pragmatic state than a precious state in a lot of Confucian cultures, and they are closer to the hard old state of nature than we are in the West.

A Chinese donkey-killer would say, "Who cares? It is a donkey and I have a family to feed. Would you value my family having less bread so that a donkey dies a slightly less painful death?" and be truly puzzled.

Not to say that is right, wrong, or otherwise, but that is the view.

The practice will probably change somewhat because losing international face is of course important. It will lead to a new cruelty or a coverup of the cruelty. That is also how the system works.
Yeah this is what I have heard of the Chinese. They lack empathy and compassion, are indifferent and see such issues in an amoral sense. For them an animal is just another resource in nature, they aren't being cruel because they get off on being sadistic, they just don't even consider the pain the animal undergoes. Everything in life is about self interest and there is no need to be kind unless it benefits one.

I think it comes down to their confusion culture of not having empathy for strangers.

It's darker than you think.

I remember a Cantonese joke about a villager who came back to the village wailing that another villager's wife was killed by lightening.

It turned out he was wrong, and that the one killed by lightening was not the man's wife, so all the other villagers beat and ridiculed him.

Hilarious right? But what did not occur to the joke teller, and would not occur to other Chinese is... what about the other dead woman?

The background thought is "we don't know her, she doesn't matter."

The girl who told me the joke was incredibly intelligent, gifted in language, and tried very hard to understand Western ideas, but the fact the joke completely omitted the death of an outsider mattering was telling and she was deeply disturbed.

The dead woman simply did not matter, not as a thought, nor as an afterthought. She was nothing but a humorous device.

That's just the beginning. The religious, philosophical, and legal principles of the West may have their problems, flaws, and even defects, but, things like this are reason to understand we have come a long way, and that those ideas and the history behind them should be very valuable to us.

Back