China-millions of donkeys bashed to death with sledge hammers

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ine-traditional-peta-china-asia-a8072081.html

I can't fathom how a developed industrialised country like China , which people tout as having a high IQ, can be soo cruel and believe in quack medicinal cures. Yes I know China has rural areas that are backwards , but even so they have enough industrilalized cities and global economic presense that their affluent class would not support and provide the demand for such cruel behavior.

I suppose it is like the UAE: overtly a 1st world society but still behaves like abusive and exploitative cultures from centuries ago. Glitzy buildings , technology , industry and savy PR doesn't necessarily lead to a compassionate culture as people assume it does

-

Medicine made from donkey skin is popular with affluent Chinese for alleged medicinal benefits.

Donkeys are hit on the head with sledgehammers , because that is the cheapest way to kill them.

Many African countries have banned the export of Donkeys due to domestic shortage and high prices resulting from Chinese demand. This has led to criminals setting up clandestine networks with Chinese to supply them with donkeys. Locals have reported theft of their donkeys, and finding donkey carcases devoid of their skin.

Below quote from an African middleman who used to illicityly supply donkey skins to China.
“It was bad watching the animals suffer,” says the middleman, who no longer trades donkey skins. “They cried out each time another one fell.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...lixir-that-threatens-donkeys-around-the-world

It has long been the case that affluent Chinese demand for quack remedies pushed many species to endangered status or worsened the already exsisting endangered status.

Last edited:
Asians and their whacky beliefs.

Why snort rhino horn when you can snort cocaine like a regular rich hedonist?

I can't fathom how a developed industrialised country like China , which people tout as having a high IQ, can be soo cruel and believe in quack medicinal cures.

Chian isn't fully developed/industrialized and the IQ average is on par with America.

Chian isn't fully developed/industrialized and the IQ average is on par with America.
I am aware of that , but the Chinese buying these expensive 'remedies' are affluent. So considering they are affluent, you woud expect them to be logical.

You would also expect them to hold some humane beliefs, or maybee the problem is with me applying Western mindset to Asia.

yeah man lots of shit is endangered cause of shit like this. tiger claw and rhino horn medicine. Yadda yadda

I am aware of that , but the Chinese buying these expensive 'remedies' are affluent. So considering they are affluent, you woud expect them to be logical.

You would also expect them to hold some humane beliefs, or maybee the problem is with me applying Western mindset to Asia.

Huge difference between old money and new money.

Is it anymore cruel than Jewish new money oligarchs in the former Soviet Union subscribing to a system of kosher ritualistic animal slaughter?

We all know why they are taking it too. It's never spoken but it's always symbolized by this action

Let_Go_Anger_Self_Hypnosis-600x675.jpg

That sounds a little more likely. Not a lot of dog moms and pet clothing in Asia and Africa.

The donkey trade is where the money is at, apparently. Mexico, Cuba, and other parts of Latin America should start exporting their donkeys to China and use that as a route to further industrialization. The donkey route towards modernization. You can't make this shit up.

China at it again!!

This is our future we will have wacky shit everywhere once China takes over the werld!

Huge difference between old money and new money.

Is it anymore cruel than Jewish new money oligarchs in the former Soviet Union subscribing to a system of kosher ritualistic animal slaughter?
I feel kosher and halal are barbarc practices too. Is there a difference?? Not sure, but in China's case it isn't limited to cruelty specifically prescribed by religon, they are cruel towards animals because they are indifferent. Apart from Kosher slaughter, Jews and Israelis appear to mimic Western notions of humane treatment.

I feel kosher and halal are barbarc practices too. Is there a difference?? Not sure, but in China's case it isn't limited to cruelty specifically prescribed by religon, they are cruel towards animals because they are indifferent. Apart from Kosher slaughter, Jews and Israelis appear to mimic Western notions of humane treatment.

Isn't the Chinese thing about superstitious medicine?

Superstition and religion are in the same boat.

Isn't the Chinese thing about superstitious medicine?

Superstition and religion are in the same boat.
To a degree yes, but I am not aware of any Chinese religion specifically endorsing these remedies and there isn't a religious dictat that says donkeys must be bashed in the head. WIth Kosher and Halal, the religion specifically stipulated the animals' artery is severed and allowed to bleed to death.

They can be superstitous and still kill animals in a humane way, like a bullet to the head or carbon monoxide or captive bolt or stun them.

bear_crush_cage_19932.jpg

This is like bear bile and crush cages. Awesome creatures that they torture in these tiny cages. They perform surgery and add a catheter to the gallbladder so that they can constantly extract the bile for "medical" reasons.

In today's wtf news of the day

But yeah, a lot of odd beliefs and traditions still persist in rural china

bear_crush_cage_19932.jpg

This is like bear bile and crush cages. Awesome creatures that they torture in these tiny cages. They perform surgery and add a catheter to the gallbladder so that they can constantly extract the bile for "medical" reasons.

Argh. Knew this existed but the reminder made me furious this morning.
I’m a farmer and hunter. It troubles me to see animals suffering when I know how unnecessary it is, even if we utilize them for our food needs. You can tell a lot about a person and a culture by how they treat their animals IMO.

Back