China expanding surveillance state is a dream come true for true power and utopia

Substantial proof of what? That I rarely saw police? That the immigration police treated me well? That in a country of 1.7 billion people, the bad things you read are rare events? That most people in Tibet go about their lives with little infringement?

Do you have proof that going to a bar in America isn't a fearful experience because of gun prevalence? Do you have proof that black people in America don't feel targeted by police? Do you have proof that the country doesn't smell dude to the sweat of all the obese people?

I'm not beibg facetious. These are all things I've had to address from Chinese people. I'm not sure what kind of proof I could provide other thab my own experiences. You don't have to believe me.
I don't care if you saw the police or not. I am talking about the fact that they can and DO throw people in prison for having the wrong opinion about the government. That they can get introuble if the snooping app in their electronics says they are being to religious or their opinion is to dissenting. The fact that you can disappear over there for having the wrong opinion, have no safety or freedom from government snooping is proof enough of their evil. Which is why I was always against the Patriot Act, and the massive increase in surveillance against the American people. IF you have no ability to openly criticize your own government you have no measure of freedom.

I'm sure the people of Tibet just ignore the abuses..

I got out to the Cameron Highlands, which were gorgeous. If most of the country used to be more like that, I can only imagine the shock. That also explains why KL feels less like a city than any city I've been to. I remember walking around at 3pm and not seeing another person out on the street. It was insane. Makes sense if they've had rapid, sudden growth, though. People are still living like it's a much smaller town.

Also, durian is fuggin gross, dude. It tastes exactly like it smells.

Hah! No, it's delicious. Yeah, I used to live not far from Brinchang and Tanah Rata. Not exactly growth like Ipoh, but a lot of development.

I don't care if you saw the police or not. I am talking about the fact that they can and DO throw people in prison for having the wrong opinion about the government. That they can get introuble if the snooping app in their electronics says they are being to religious or their opinion is to dissenting. The fact that you can disappear over there for having the wrong opinion, have no safety or freedom from government snooping is proof enough of their evil. Which is why I was always against the Patriot Act, and the massive increase in surveillance against the American people. IF you have no ability to openly criticize your own government you have no measure of freedom.

I'm sure the people of Tibet just ignore the abuses..

This is all fine, but what kind of proof are you asking me for? Proof that the average person doesn't have to worry about being disappeared?

If political dissent is irrelevant to you, why are you writing about it?

"Unless you're planning a revolution, they don't have time"

This statement is patently false. The Chinese state censors millions of online posts every day even though they don't concern "revolution".

Twitter censors posts, too. So does Facebook. Freedom of speech is not a guaranteed freedom in China (or most of the world), so I don't really know what we can discuss there. Are you saying that every country should have freedom of speech? All governments everywhere have a right to censor things. I can agree that China is more blatant about theirs, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that they are more egregious.

I agree that political dissent is generally important. However, my point was that the vast majority of people in most environments don't care much about politics, and surely not enough to have any political dissent they are burning to Tweet about.

I'm not saying that all of China's policies are perfect. I'm saying that they've developed a system intelligently and that they've allowed for drawbacks that aren't so catastrophic or contentious that most middle class people will care.

Last edited:
People are basically arguing that China isn't great by idealized modern western values.

The PRC isn't great by idealized Chinese standards.

You lived in an area of the country with far higher living standards than the mean. Guangzhou is one of only five 一線城市 (first-tier cities). I don't think you would have had the same opinions if you had lived in (not just visited) a third-tier city. Why do you think so many mainland Chinese people move their families to western countries as soon as they can afford to? Everything from infrastructure to food safety to public security to sanitation to air quality tends to be far below the western standard.

You can argue that China is rising and eventually these problems will be eliminated through economic growth and sound management. Maybe, but if so it's a long way off.

You can argue that the surveillance state doesn't offend the typical Chinese person the way it does a typical American. This I fully agree with. I have observed that most Chinese people are willing to put up with government intrusion into their lives in ways that would make the average westerner uncomfortable.

However, I believe it would be a mistake to think that this acceptance will necessarily continue long into the future. Most Chinese people are poor. They are focused on making money. After people acquire significant wealth, they tend to reflect on their society and offer criticisms of it. Related to this, I predict that the Great Firewall will be dismantled within 25 years.

I use Chinese social media daily and say whatever the fuck I want. You think the government cares? They have 1.7 billion people to police. Unless you're planning a revolution, they don't have time.

All governments everywhere have a right to censor things. I can agree that China is more blatant about theirs, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that they are more egregious.

Unless you're planning a revolution, they don't have time.

Are you backtracking on this, then? It's hard for me to follow your argument on that point.

The PRC isn't great by idealized Chinese standards.

You lived in an area of the country with far higher living standards than the mean. Guangzhou is one of only five 一線城市 (first-tier cities). I don't think you would have had the same opinions if you had lived in (not just visited) a third-tier city. Why do you think so many mainland Chinese people move their families to western countries as soon as they can afford to? Everything from infrastructure to food safety to public security to sanitation to air quality tends to be far below the western standard.

You can argue that China is rising and eventually these problems will be eliminated through economic growth and sound management. Maybe, but if so it's a long way off.

You can argue that the surveillance state doesn't offend the typical Chinese person the way it does a typical American. This I fully agree with. I have observed that most Chinese people are willing to put up with government intrusion into their lives in ways that would make the average westerner uncomfortable.

However, I believe it would be a mistake to think that this acceptance will necessarily continue long into the future. Most Chinese people are poor. They are focused on making money. After people acquire significant wealth, they tend to reflect on their society and offer criticisms of it. Related to this, I predict that the Great Firewall will be dismantled within 25 years.

I only lived in Guangzhou for a few weeks. I actually lived in Foshan, but Guangzhou is an easier reference point. Foshan is a third tier city and it was fine. Though it is very much connected to GZ, so it probably gets an economic boost over other third tier cities.

This is all fine, but what kind of proof are you asking me for? Proof that the average person doesn't have to worry about being disappeared?
They do have to worry about being disappeared. They just know how to keep quiet and not say the wrong things. They have no ability to dissent or criticize their tyrant.

Unless you're planning a revolution, they don't have time.

Are you backtracking on this, then? It's hard for me to follow your argument on that point.

Well I made that comment to a different poster in a different context. He was talking about how the government actually treats people. I was just saying that the government isn't going around arresting people for using hastags on weibo.

I'm making a distinction between internet censorship and law enforcement.

They do have to worry about being disappeared. They just know how to keep quiet and not say the wrong things. They have no ability to dissent or criticize their tyrant.

So you don't want proof anymore?

It sounds like we're now just disagreeing. Neither of us have proof, which is fine. I don't believe you and you don't believe me.

I only lived in Guangzhou for a few weeks. I actually lived in Foshan, but Guangzhou is an easier reference point. Foshan is a third tier city and it was fine. Though it is very much connected to GZ, so it probably gets an economic boost over other third tier cities.
According to the following list, Foshan is considered second-tier.

2014年最新中國城市等級表:

一線城市 5 個:

北京(全國政治、文化、教育中心)
上海(全國經濟中心)
廣州(經濟發達,中國第三大城市)
深圳(經濟發達、特區城市)
天津(經濟發達城市,人均GDP全國第壹)

二線發達城市 8 個:

杭州(經濟發達、副省級、強省省會)
南京(經濟發達、副省級、強省省會)
濟南(經濟發達、副省級、強省省會)
重慶(直轄市,西部中心城市)
青島(經濟發達、計劃單列市)
大連(經濟發達、計劃單列市)
寧波(經濟發達、計劃單列市)
廈門(經濟發達、計劃單列市)

二線中等發達城市 15 個:

成都(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
武漢(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
哈爾濱(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
沈陽(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
西安(區域中心、副省級省會)
長春(區域中心、副省級省會)
長沙(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
福州(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
鄭州(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
石家莊(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
蘇州(經濟強市、中國地級市經濟最強市)
佛山(經濟強市)
東莞(經濟強市)
無錫(經濟強市)
煙臺(經濟強市)
太原(經濟強市、地級市省會)

二線發展較弱城市:

合肥 (地級市省會)
南昌 (地級市省會)
南寧 (地級市省會)
昆明 (地級市省會)
溫州 (重要的經濟城市)
淄博 (重要的工業城市)
唐山(河北經濟強市)

三線城市:

烏魯木齊(新疆自治區首府)
貴陽(貴州省會)
海口(海南省會)
蘭州(甘肅省會)
銀川(寧夏自治區首府)
西寧(青海省會)
呼和浩特(內蒙古首府)
泉州(福建經濟第壹強市)
包頭(內蒙古第壹大城市,經濟第二強市)
南通(江蘇經濟強市)
大慶(黑龍江經濟強市)
徐州(江蘇經濟強市)
濰坊(山東經濟強市)
常州(江蘇經濟強市)
鄂爾多斯(內蒙古經濟第壹強市)
紹興(浙江經濟強市)
濟寧(山東經濟強市)
鹽城(江蘇經濟強市)
邯鄲(河北經濟第三強市)
臨沂(山東經濟強市)
洛陽(河南經濟強市、古都)
東營(山東經濟強市)
揚州(江蘇經濟強市)
臺州(浙江經濟強市)
嘉興(浙江經濟強市)
滄州(河北經濟強市)
榆林(陜西經濟第二強市)
泰州(江蘇經濟強市)
鎮江(江蘇經濟強市)
昆山(全國百強縣第壹名)
江陰(全國百強縣第二名)
張家港(全國百強縣第三名)
義烏(浙江經濟強市縣級市)
金華(浙江經濟強市)
保定(河北經濟強市)
吉林(吉林經濟第二強市)
鞍山(遼寧經濟第三強市)
泰安(山東經濟強市)
宜昌(湖北經濟第二強市)
襄陽(湖北經濟第三強市)
中山(廣東經濟強市)
惠州(廣東經濟強市)
南陽(河南經濟強市)
威海(山東經濟強市)
德州(山東經濟強市)
嶽陽(湖南經濟第二強市)
聊城(山東經濟強市)
常德(湖南經濟強市)
漳州(福建經濟第四強市)
濱州(山東經濟強市)
茂名(廣東經濟強市)
淮安(江蘇經濟強市)
江門(廣東經濟強市)
蕪湖(安徽經濟第二強市)
湛江(廣東經濟強市)
廊坊(河北經濟強市)
菏澤(山東經濟強市)
柳州(廣西經濟第二強市)
寶雞(陜西第二大城市、經濟第四強市)
珠海(特區、廣東經濟第十強市)
綿陽(四川第二大城市)
四線城市:
株洲(湖南經濟第五強市)
棗莊(山東經濟第十五強市)
許昌(河南經濟第四強市)
通遼(內蒙古經濟第四強市)
湖州(浙江經濟第八強市)
新鄉(河南經濟第五強市)
鹹陽(陜西經濟第三強市)
松原(吉林經濟第三強市)
連雲港(江蘇經濟第十二強市)
安陽(河南經濟第六強市)
周口(河南經濟第七強市)
焦作(河南經濟第八強市)
赤峰(內蒙古經濟第五強市)
邢臺(河北經濟第七強市)
郴州(湖南經濟第六強市)
宿遷(江蘇經濟第十三強市)
贛州(江西經濟第二強市)
平頂山(河南經濟第九強市)
桂林(廣西經濟第三強市)
肇慶(廣東經濟第十壹強市)
曲靖(雲南經濟第二強市)
九江(江西經濟第三強市)
商丘(河南經濟第十強市)
汕頭(廣東經濟第十二強市)
信陽(河南經濟第十壹強市)
駐馬店(河南經濟第十二強市)
營口(遼寧經濟第四強市)
揭陽(廣東經濟第十三強市)
龍巖(福建經濟第五強市)
安慶(安徽經濟第三強市)
日照(山東經濟第十五強市)
遵義(貴州經濟第二強市)
三明(福建經濟第六強市)
呼倫貝爾(內蒙古經濟第六強市)
長治(山西經濟第二強市)
湘潭(湖南經濟第七強市)
德陽(四川經濟第三強市)
南充(四川地級市)
樂山(四川地級市)
達州(四川地級市)
盤錦(遼寧地級市)
延安(陜西地級市)
上饒(江西地級市)
錦州(遼寧地級市)
宜春(江西地級市)
宜賓(四川地級市)
張家口(河北地級市)
馬鞍山(安徽地級市)
呂梁(山西地級市)
撫順(遼寧地級市)
臨汾(山西地級市)
渭南(陜西地級市)
開封(河南地級市,古都)
莆田(福建地級市)
荊州(湖北地級市)
黃岡(湖北地級市)
四平(吉林地級市)
承德(河北地級市)
齊齊哈爾(黑龍江地級市)
三門峽(河南地級市)
秦皇島(河北地級市)
本溪(遼寧地級市)
玉林(廣西地級市)
孝感(湖北地級市)
牡丹江(黑龍江地級市)
荊門(湖北地級市)
寧德(湖南地級市)
運城(山西地級市)
綏化(黑龍江地級市)
永州(湖南地級市)
懷化(湖南地級市、湘西第壹大市)
黃石(湖北地級市)
瀘州(四川地級市)
清遠(廣東地級市)
邵陽(湖南地級市)
衡水(河北地級市)
益陽(湖南地級市)
丹東(遼寧地級市、中國口岸第壹大市)
鐵嶺(遼寧地級市)
晉城(山西地級市)
朔州(山西地級市)
吉安(江西地級市)
婁底(湖南地級市)
玉溪(雲南地級市)
遼陽(遼寧地級市)
南平(福建地級市)
濮陽(河南地級市)
晉中(山西地級市)
資陽(四川地級市)
都江堰(四川縣級市)
攀枝花(四川地級市)
衢州(浙江地級市)
內江(四川地級市)
滁州(安徽地級市)
阜陽(安徽地級市)
十堰(湖北地級市)
大同(山西地級市)
朝陽(遼寧地級市)
六安(安徽地級市)
宿州(安徽地級市)
通化(吉林地級市)
蚌埠(安徽地級市)
韶關(廣東地級市)
麗水(浙江地級市)
自貢(四川地級市)
陽江(廣東地級市)
畢節(貴州地級市)

五線城市:

拉薩(西藏自治區首府)
克拉瑪依(新疆經濟第二強市,地級市)
庫爾勒(新疆第二大城市,縣級市、州府)
昌吉(新疆縣級市、州府)
哈密(新疆縣級市、地區行署所在地)
伊寧(縣級市、州府)
喀什(新疆縣級市、地區行署所在地)
阿克蘇(新疆縣級市、地區行署所在地)
石河子(新疆兵團第壹大城市)
晉江(福建經濟發達縣級市)
增城(廣東經濟發達縣級市)
諸暨(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
丹陽(江蘇經濟發達縣級市)
玉環(浙江經濟發達縣)
常熟(江蘇經濟發達縣級市)
崇明(上海經濟發達縣)
余姚(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
奉化(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
海寧(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
瀏陽市(湖南縣級市)
大理(雲南縣級市、州府)
麗江(雲南地級市)
普洱(雲南地級市)
保山(雲南地級市)
昭通(雲南地級市)
西昌(四川縣級市、州府)
雅安(四川地級市)
廣安(四川縣級市)
廣元(四川地級市)
巴中(四川地級市)
遂寧(四川地級市)
天水(甘肅第二大城市)
酒泉(甘肅地級市)
嘉峪關(甘肅地級市)
武威(甘肅地級市)
張掖(甘肅地級市)
石嘴山(寧夏地級市)
吳忠(寧夏地級市)
北海(廣西地級市)
百色(廣西地級市)
虎門鎮(全國第壹大鎮、廣東東莞市建制鎮)
長安鎮(廣東東莞市建制鎮,全國人口經濟大鎮)
鰲江-龍港鎮(浙江建制鎮、浙最南端中心城市)
以及其他省份的地級市及經濟強縣(縣級市)

六線城市:

除以上以外的所有縣級市和經濟強縣、城市規模大縣

Granted, there is no objective set of criteria. But after spending time in the third-tier cities on that list, one will notice a big difference.

You lived among the upper-middle class in mainland China.

Last edited:
I was just saying that the government isn't going around arresting people for using hastags on weibo.

I'm making a distinction between internet censorship and law enforcement.

This is false.

There have been many documented cases of Chinese people being locked up for social media postings.

Here is the case of a young man who was imprisoned and forced to work on a prison assembly line merely for posting articles on social media and owning a particular t-shirt.

According to the following list, Foshan is considered second-tier.

2014年最新中國城市等級表:

一線城市 5 個:

北京(全國政治、文化、教育中心)
上海(全國經濟中心)
廣州(經濟發達,中國第三大城市)
深圳(經濟發達、特區城市)
天津(經濟發達城市,人均GDP全國第壹)

二線發達城市 8 個:

杭州(經濟發達、副省級、強省省會)
南京(經濟發達、副省級、強省省會)
濟南(經濟發達、副省級、強省省會)
重慶(直轄市,西部中心城市)
青島(經濟發達、計劃單列市)
大連(經濟發達、計劃單列市)
寧波(經濟發達、計劃單列市)
廈門(經濟發達、計劃單列市)

二線中等發達城市 15 個:

成都(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
武漢(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
哈爾濱(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
沈陽(經濟發展較好、區域中心、副省級省會)
西安(區域中心、副省級省會)
長春(區域中心、副省級省會)
長沙(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
福州(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
鄭州(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
石家莊(經濟發展較好、地級市省會)
蘇州(經濟強市、中國地級市經濟最強市)
佛山(經濟強市)
東莞(經濟強市)
無錫(經濟強市)
煙臺(經濟強市)
太原(經濟強市、地級市省會)

二線發展較弱城市:

合肥 (地級市省會)
南昌 (地級市省會)
南寧 (地級市省會)
昆明 (地級市省會)
溫州 (重要的經濟城市)
淄博 (重要的工業城市)
唐山(河北經濟強市)

三線城市:

烏魯木齊(新疆自治區首府)
貴陽(貴州省會)
海口(海南省會)
蘭州(甘肅省會)
銀川(寧夏自治區首府)
西寧(青海省會)
呼和浩特(內蒙古首府)
泉州(福建經濟第壹強市)
包頭(內蒙古第壹大城市,經濟第二強市)
南通(江蘇經濟強市)
大慶(黑龍江經濟強市)
徐州(江蘇經濟強市)
濰坊(山東經濟強市)
常州(江蘇經濟強市)
鄂爾多斯(內蒙古經濟第壹強市)
紹興(浙江經濟強市)
濟寧(山東經濟強市)
鹽城(江蘇經濟強市)
邯鄲(河北經濟第三強市)
臨沂(山東經濟強市)
洛陽(河南經濟強市、古都)
東營(山東經濟強市)
揚州(江蘇經濟強市)
臺州(浙江經濟強市)
嘉興(浙江經濟強市)
滄州(河北經濟強市)
榆林(陜西經濟第二強市)
泰州(江蘇經濟強市)
鎮江(江蘇經濟強市)
昆山(全國百強縣第壹名)
江陰(全國百強縣第二名)
張家港(全國百強縣第三名)
義烏(浙江經濟強市縣級市)
金華(浙江經濟強市)
保定(河北經濟強市)
吉林(吉林經濟第二強市)
鞍山(遼寧經濟第三強市)
泰安(山東經濟強市)
宜昌(湖北經濟第二強市)
襄陽(湖北經濟第三強市)
中山(廣東經濟強市)
惠州(廣東經濟強市)
南陽(河南經濟強市)
威海(山東經濟強市)
德州(山東經濟強市)
嶽陽(湖南經濟第二強市)
聊城(山東經濟強市)
常德(湖南經濟強市)
漳州(福建經濟第四強市)
濱州(山東經濟強市)
茂名(廣東經濟強市)
淮安(江蘇經濟強市)
江門(廣東經濟強市)
蕪湖(安徽經濟第二強市)
湛江(廣東經濟強市)
廊坊(河北經濟強市)
菏澤(山東經濟強市)
柳州(廣西經濟第二強市)
寶雞(陜西第二大城市、經濟第四強市)
珠海(特區、廣東經濟第十強市)
綿陽(四川第二大城市)
四線城市:
株洲(湖南經濟第五強市)
棗莊(山東經濟第十五強市)
許昌(河南經濟第四強市)
通遼(內蒙古經濟第四強市)
湖州(浙江經濟第八強市)
新鄉(河南經濟第五強市)
鹹陽(陜西經濟第三強市)
松原(吉林經濟第三強市)
連雲港(江蘇經濟第十二強市)
安陽(河南經濟第六強市)
周口(河南經濟第七強市)
焦作(河南經濟第八強市)
赤峰(內蒙古經濟第五強市)
邢臺(河北經濟第七強市)
郴州(湖南經濟第六強市)
宿遷(江蘇經濟第十三強市)
贛州(江西經濟第二強市)
平頂山(河南經濟第九強市)
桂林(廣西經濟第三強市)
肇慶(廣東經濟第十壹強市)
曲靖(雲南經濟第二強市)
九江(江西經濟第三強市)
商丘(河南經濟第十強市)
汕頭(廣東經濟第十二強市)
信陽(河南經濟第十壹強市)
駐馬店(河南經濟第十二強市)
營口(遼寧經濟第四強市)
揭陽(廣東經濟第十三強市)
龍巖(福建經濟第五強市)
安慶(安徽經濟第三強市)
日照(山東經濟第十五強市)
遵義(貴州經濟第二強市)
三明(福建經濟第六強市)
呼倫貝爾(內蒙古經濟第六強市)
長治(山西經濟第二強市)
湘潭(湖南經濟第七強市)
德陽(四川經濟第三強市)
南充(四川地級市)
樂山(四川地級市)
達州(四川地級市)
盤錦(遼寧地級市)
延安(陜西地級市)
上饒(江西地級市)
錦州(遼寧地級市)
宜春(江西地級市)
宜賓(四川地級市)
張家口(河北地級市)
馬鞍山(安徽地級市)
呂梁(山西地級市)
撫順(遼寧地級市)
臨汾(山西地級市)
渭南(陜西地級市)
開封(河南地級市,古都)
莆田(福建地級市)
荊州(湖北地級市)
黃岡(湖北地級市)
四平(吉林地級市)
承德(河北地級市)
齊齊哈爾(黑龍江地級市)
三門峽(河南地級市)
秦皇島(河北地級市)
本溪(遼寧地級市)
玉林(廣西地級市)
孝感(湖北地級市)
牡丹江(黑龍江地級市)
荊門(湖北地級市)
寧德(湖南地級市)
運城(山西地級市)
綏化(黑龍江地級市)
永州(湖南地級市)
懷化(湖南地級市、湘西第壹大市)
黃石(湖北地級市)
瀘州(四川地級市)
清遠(廣東地級市)
邵陽(湖南地級市)
衡水(河北地級市)
益陽(湖南地級市)
丹東(遼寧地級市、中國口岸第壹大市)
鐵嶺(遼寧地級市)
晉城(山西地級市)
朔州(山西地級市)
吉安(江西地級市)
婁底(湖南地級市)
玉溪(雲南地級市)
遼陽(遼寧地級市)
南平(福建地級市)
濮陽(河南地級市)
晉中(山西地級市)
資陽(四川地級市)
都江堰(四川縣級市)
攀枝花(四川地級市)
衢州(浙江地級市)
內江(四川地級市)
滁州(安徽地級市)
阜陽(安徽地級市)
十堰(湖北地級市)
大同(山西地級市)
朝陽(遼寧地級市)
六安(安徽地級市)
宿州(安徽地級市)
通化(吉林地級市)
蚌埠(安徽地級市)
韶關(廣東地級市)
麗水(浙江地級市)
自貢(四川地級市)
陽江(廣東地級市)
畢節(貴州地級市)

五線城市:

拉薩(西藏自治區首府)
克拉瑪依(新疆經濟第二強市,地級市)
庫爾勒(新疆第二大城市,縣級市、州府)
昌吉(新疆縣級市、州府)
哈密(新疆縣級市、地區行署所在地)
伊寧(縣級市、州府)
喀什(新疆縣級市、地區行署所在地)
阿克蘇(新疆縣級市、地區行署所在地)
石河子(新疆兵團第壹大城市)
晉江(福建經濟發達縣級市)
增城(廣東經濟發達縣級市)
諸暨(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
丹陽(江蘇經濟發達縣級市)
玉環(浙江經濟發達縣)
常熟(江蘇經濟發達縣級市)
崇明(上海經濟發達縣)
余姚(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
奉化(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
海寧(浙江經濟發達縣級市)
瀏陽市(湖南縣級市)
大理(雲南縣級市、州府)
麗江(雲南地級市)
普洱(雲南地級市)
保山(雲南地級市)
昭通(雲南地級市)
西昌(四川縣級市、州府)
雅安(四川地級市)
廣安(四川縣級市)
廣元(四川地級市)
巴中(四川地級市)
遂寧(四川地級市)
天水(甘肅第二大城市)
酒泉(甘肅地級市)
嘉峪關(甘肅地級市)
武威(甘肅地級市)
張掖(甘肅地級市)
石嘴山(寧夏地級市)
吳忠(寧夏地級市)
北海(廣西地級市)
百色(廣西地級市)
虎門鎮(全國第壹大鎮、廣東東莞市建制鎮)
長安鎮(廣東東莞市建制鎮,全國人口經濟大鎮)
鰲江-龍港鎮(浙江建制鎮、浙最南端中心城市)
以及其他省份的地級市及經濟強縣(縣級市)

六線城市:

除以上以外的所有縣級市和經濟強縣、城市規模大縣

Granted, there is no objective set of criteria. But after spending time in the third-tier cities on that list, one will notice a big difference.

You lived among the upper-middle class in mainland China.

Oh, interesting. When I first moved to Foshan, it was listed as third tier. It may have been upgraded.

But even within Foshan, or any city, there is variety of living condition. I don't want to pretend that I wasn't living in a relatively nice area (a large part of my point is that there are many Chinese who AREN'T living the stereotypival impoverished government drone life that many assume), but not everyone who lives in New York lives in Manhattan.

This is false.

There have been many documented cases of Chinese people being locked up for social media postings.

Here is the case of a young man who was imprisoned and forced to work on a prison assembly line merely for posting articles on social media and owning a particular t-shirt.

I should have been clearer. Just because something has happens, doesn't mean that it is such a regular occurence that it impacts the activities of an average person on an average day. People in America get fined for littering. Teachers sleep with students. But these things don't impact daily life.

Most people, in general, aren't political. Of the people who are interested in discussing politics, many do it privately, not publically. I don't discuss politics on my personal Twitter account and it's not because Trump won't let me. If tomorrow Twitter banned all political speech, nothing would change for a very large amount of people.

Oh, interesting. When I first moved to Foshan, it was listed as third tier. It may have been upgraded.

But even within Foshan, or any city, there is variety of living condition. I don't want to pretend that I wasn't living in a relatively nice area (a large part of my point is that there are many Chinese who AREN'T living the stereotypival impoverished government drone life that many assume), but not everyone who lives in New York lives in Manhattan.

I think most people understand that China has massive wealth inequality and therefore a massive discrepancy in lifestyles between rich and poor. Many of the richest people in the world are Chinese. That's common knowledge in the West. But again, why do most of these rich people send their kids to the West for schooling? Why do many of them move to the West?

As for conditions in China: sure, one could camp out in the 金橋 area of Shanghai for a year and be convinced that China is a first-world nation. One could also take a government-led tour of Pyongyang and be convinced that NK is a great place to live.

The point is that China has been suppressing human rights and environmental protection in the name of economic development for 40 years. The growing surveillance state is just another step in that direction.

Last edited:
I should have been clearer. Just because something has happens, doesn't mean that it is such a regular occurence that it impacts the activities of an average person on an average day. People in America get fined for littering. Teachers sleep with students. But these things don't impact daily life.

Most people, in general, aren't political. Of the people who are interested in discussing politics, many do it privately, not publically. I don't discuss politics on my personal Twitter account and it's not because Trump won't let me. If tomorrow Twitter banned all political speech, nothing would change for a very large amount of people.

Most people aren't interested in railing against particular political parties/figures as sport. However, in China, complaining about anything "sensitive" that might hurt the image of the Party or the government can invoke censorship. I've seen censorship of social media posts complaining about air quality, for example.

sucks for us. I'd love to see it in 100 years when it goes full dystopian cyberpunk,

I think most people understand that China has massive wealth inequality and therefore a massive discrepancy in lifestyles between rich and poor. Many of the richest people in the world are Chinese. That's common knowledge in the West. But again, why do most of these rich people send their kids to the West for schooling? Why do many of them move to the West?

As for conditions in China: sure, one could camp out in the 金橋 area of Shanghai for a year and be convinced that China is a first-world nation. One could also take a government-led tour of Pyongyang and be convinced that NK is a great place to live.

The point is that China has been suppressing human rights and environmental protection in the name of economic development for 40 years. The growing surveillance state is just another step in that direction.

You kinda sidestepped my point. I wasn't talking about wealth inequality. The average person in Foshan is neither impoverished nor wealthy. That's what I'm saying. Lots of Chinese people are in the middle.

The suppression of human rights is a related, but separate issue in the context of my positions in this thread. With regard to the same middle class that I'm talking about, they have a great amount of freedom on a daily basis that doesn't really involve government oversight. The average person doesn't have run ins with the police or government officials over social media postings.

Most people aren't interested in railing against particular political parties/figures as sport. However, in China, complaining about anything "sensitive" that might hurt the image of the Party or the government can invoke censorship. I've seen censorship of social media posts complaining about air quality, for example.

Fair post.

But my original point was that China has developed a rather intelligent system that has seen them develop faster than any country in modern history and that they have done it while maintaining the world's largest population of young, horny, unemployed males and a low violent crime rate.

They are playing a delicate game, and they've found a remarkable way to control their populace without overreaching in a way that leads to mass backlash. Your point perfectly illustrates this. Sometimes posts about air quality get censored. Who really cares? No one is going to go on a fuck da police rampage over that, especially when their overall standard of living is improving.

Back