Chiesa was done and embarrassed himself after

Of course Chiesa is a fighter and thinks he could have gotten out. That's why you have to let the man sleep. But the fact is, he got caught in a RNC that he was not surviving from.

Mike was going to flex & bust out, bro.

I see his hand look like a limp tap everytime I have watched this clip.

The kind of tap that happens when someone is trying not to but can't help it and it becomes involuntary.

Mike sounds like a sore loser here making excuses.

The choke was in, he wasn't even fighting hands with 30 seconds left, going limp for 30 seconds while someone chokes you isn't a form of intelligent defense. Horrible stoppage or not, he would have been asleep in 5 more seconds max.

That pretty much sums it up. The surrendered hands gesture rarely implies that someone is preparing to do anything other than continue to be choked.

cR2S0vv.gif

There was too much left and the lock was solid.

They don't want to accept that the cocky black guy won

I'd like to think that it's just upset Mike fans rather than prejudice fans against AAs.

They are definitely butt hurt over this but I don't think it's because Kevin is black.
Maybe just because he's cocky ?

Many hate a Conor for his cocky attitude also and he's not black.

i donno man, an av bet or whatever people do on here to make things interesting. ill care about the outcome of it more if we have a bet on the line haha

Haha deal. I don't have an AV but if I lose I'll change it to one of your choosing.

Now the objective observer would surly think there would be 100% consensus here....Mike clearly didn't tap, and the ref stopped the fight. Obviously, everyone agrees it shouldn't have been stopped?

Of course not....This is sherdog, and we're discussing MMA. That means totally irrational opinions and thoughts with rise.

No matter what you think of either fighter?

The fight should not have been stopped. It was a gigantic mistake, and there should be a rematch.

Oh and Mario should be reviewed by the AC. He's fucked up way too many times.

Actually it made perfect sense when he gave his explanation if the defense and it was a horrible stoppage.

Calm down Lee, maybe you get a clean win in te rematch.
I guess he was defending the choke "70%"...

I guess he has to tell himself he was robbed to feel better about being choked out.

Have you been watching MMA very long? (No diss, just wondering)

To say it is extremely rare for them to overturn a decision is a gross understatement.

I know that they overturned the Buscape Dober from a while back due to similar circumstances. I was about to say that they also overturned the first Danzig Wiman fight but it turns out that that one stood, which is leading me to seriously reconsider my earlier bet with fightfan84.

I know that they overturned the Buscape Dober from a while back due to similar circumstances. I was about to say that they also overturned the first Danzig Wiman fight but it turns out that that one stood, which is leading me to seriously reconsider my earlier bet with fightfan84.

Right or wrong, they practically NEVER overturn refs calls. The Dober thing is honestly an anomaly.

I am not for either fighter, but for a split second Chiesa looked like he was fading.

Tyrone made a great point that he wasn't intelligently trying to get out either. Just laying there playing possum, waiting to pass out isn't a good look. If he had used the energy he spent on protesting, on trying to get out of the submission, then I would have sympathy for him.

I think Mario made the right decision in the moment, and Chiesa comes off as a sore loser.

I guess he was defending the choke "70%"...

I guess he has to tell himself he was robbed to feel better about being choked out.
His complaint is let him tap or go to sleep, with subs there shouldn't be ref interference unless tap, nap or snap

How else does he check other than by what he is seeing? Chiesa lost motor control of his hands, what people are calling 'chicken hands". He started spasming. That's due to the brain switching off.

As soon as he was released blood was flowing and he jumped up. Big deal. When he quit fighting and his body began spasming he was out.
It is rather simple and has been done before. Just lift his arm and see if he is still there. If his arm just drops he is obviously out. Common method in a choke situation. Or ask him for a thumbs up etc.

This was not a situation where he was taking brutal punishment. It wasn't a "any second counts"-moment obviously since he wasn't really out. At best for a splitsecond and this is pure speculation based on what we saw. And as I said there is a simple way to make sure for a ref. And unlike in a flurry the ref has a little time to make the right decision.

I would tend to agree. Not only wasn't he attempting to fight it anymore, but he VERY nearly went limp. When a choke is sunk in that deep and the fighter's hands just sorta flop by his chest it's literally a second or two from tapping or going to sleep.

Back