Chicago

I plan on going to Wisconsin to hunt lol.

Stop through if you are out by Waukesha- we are just off hwy 94. And askren wrestling academy is in my backyard. Most of the gyms I know are on the north side, though I've trained with some Valko guys and they were cool. Lots of Carlson gracie gyms in the area. Uflacker academy is south side, and I've heard its a good place to train, but haven't been there.

Stop through if you are out by Waukesha- we are just off hwy 94. And askren wrestling academy is in my backyard. Most of the gyms I know are on the north side, though I've trained with some Valko guys and they were cool. Lots of Carlson gracie gyms in the area. Uflacker academy is south side, and I've heard its a good place to train, but haven't been there.
I figured most bjj gyms would be in the north side or Chicagoland suburbs

My coach has spoken very fondly of Christian Uflacker in Chicago.

https://bjjsouthside.com
PROFESSOR
CHRISTIAN UFLACKER
3RD DEGREE BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU BLACK BELT / JUDO BLACK BELT / MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST

BJJ WORLD CHAMPION / AMERICAN NATIONAL CHAMPION / EUROPEAN CHAMPION / BRAZILIAN CHAMPION / PROFESSIONAL MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST

Professor Christian “Xaropinho” Uflacker was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; where much of the foundation for modern day Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was laid. There, he trained under and eventually received his black belt, from the Legendary Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Master, Carlos Gracie Jr., at the Gracie Barra Academy. During this time Professor Christian learned Gracie Jiu Jitsu and began winning and compiling many championships.

So turns out I finally got a full time teaching position. Will be working at a school on the South Side. If anyone can give me the lowdown on sneaky adorable good places to live, attractions, bars, food, and most importantly bjj gyms I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
dunno but dont go to carlsons gym if ur on a teachers salary fuck paying famous ppl

dunno but dont go to carlsons gym if ur on a teachers salary fuck paying famous ppl
I’ll pay if I think it’s worth it but I’m always skeptical.

I try to find the best fit over name. One gym I trained at had one really cool instructor who once he knew I wasn’t going to be a bully to hobbyists and take my lumps against higher was awesome. The other instructor was always talking about self defense and treating me kind I didn’t know anything or about how the wrestling id “obviously use” in a “street fight” was inferior to bjj.

I don’t need a suuuuper competition focused gym but I don’t want to deal with obnoxious levels of self defense either

carlsons gym is in buena park way to far anyways he prolly has a branch near u unless u live in douglas park or something maybe ur in the high school from stand and deliver and high school high

carlsons gym is in buena park way to far anyways he prolly has a branch near u unless u live in douglas park or something maybe ur in the high school from stand and deliver and high school high
Nope school is less than 10 years old

Moved two years ago from Chicago.

Lived there for 23 years, most of it on the Southside in Hyde Park.

How can I help?

Moved two years ago from Chicago.

Lived there for 23 years, most of it on the Southside in Hyde Park.

How can I help?
Where should I look for affordable housing in an “ok” neighborhood? Don’t need it to be super nice or gentrified. I’m fine with what I call common sense neighborhoods lol. More specifically where can I (if possible) find housing within a decent commute of Marquette park. The school is very close to there. I’m going to be commuting from Oak Park at first until I can afford my own place. Not looking forward to the commute lol. A friend actually recommended Hyde Park.

And what are some good spots to visit? Anything, tourist traps, bars, secret hole in the wall restaurants etc. Any Chicago people quirks or pet peeves I should know about lol.

I can never be a cubs fan being from Cincinnati lol.. but I like da bears. Im really excited about the move though

Hyde Park is going to be the nearest OK place to your school. Would be worthwhile checking the area around S. 1500 and Indiana as well.cant remember what that neighborhood is called, but it might be a better place for a single guy.

Also Checkout Bridgeport. That's the area around White Sox Park where the Daley's are from.

Lots of good restaurants around Bridgeport. I moved from Hyde Park about 7 years ago so I'm not sure what's there anymore.

In Hyde Park is the Museum of Science and Industry. It's amazing and the last of the "White Buildings" from the Colombian Exposition. Read Devil in the White City. There's the Museum of Art, Second City, more music and theatre venues then you can count. Navy Pier

Best Chicago Style dog is Weiner Circle
Best brat is Jim's
Best pizza is Lou Malnoti's
Best steak is Gene and Georgettis, Gibsons or Chicago Cut
Best Chinese is Moon Palace
Best Tex mex is Maravillas in Hyde Park (nobody knows this but trust me)
High end Mexican is Frontera Grill
BBQ is everywhere. Italian too.
Best Irish bar is Fado's
Best Sports bar is Timothy O'tooles.

Restaurant Row is on Randolph, west of the expressway. Favorite restaurant is Girl and the Goat.

Not much for bars, sorry.

Nearest bjj to The Southside will be Redzovic's Loop location. That's where I started.

Hope this helps.

One quirk you have to know about is dibs.

When the snow gets bad, people will dig out parking spots on the street for themselves. They'll place lawn chairs or traffic cones to claim the spot. That's called dibs. ALWAYS respect dibs.

When I first moved there, somebody with dibs shot somebody who took his spot. Some reporter asked Mayor Daley about it. Hizzoner answered, "Well, the guy had dibs."

Also, Chicagoans never put ketchup on a hot dog. And the neon green relish is called picadilly.

One quirk you have to know about is dibs.

When the snow gets bad, people will dig out parking spots on the street for themselves. They'll place lawn chairs or traffic cones to claim the spot. That's called dibs. ALWAYS respect dibs.

When I first moved there, somebody with dibs shot somebody who took his spot. Some reporter asked Mayor Daley about it. Hizzoner answered, "Well, the guy had dibs."

Also, Chicagoans never put ketchup on a hot dog. And the neon green relish is called picadilly.
I’m going to keep putting ketchup on mine lol

Hyde Park is going to be the nearest OK place to your school. Would be worthwhile checking the area around S. 1500 and Indiana as well.cant remember what that neighborhood is called, but it might be a better place for a single guy.

Also Checkout Bridgeport. That's the area around White Sox Park where the Daley's are from.

Lots of good restaurants around Bridgeport. I moved from Hyde Park about 7 years ago so I'm not sure what's there anymore.

In Hyde Park is the Museum of Science and Industry. It's amazing and the last of the "White Buildings" from the Colombian Exposition. Read Devil in the White City. There's the Museum of Art, Second City, more music and theatre venues then you can count. Navy Pier

Best Chicago Style dog is Weiner Circle
Best brat is Jim's
Best pizza is Lou Malnoti's
Best steak is Gene and Georgettis, Gibsons or Chicago Cut
Best Chinese is Moon Palace
Best Tex mex is Maravillas in Hyde Park (nobody knows this but trust me)
High end Mexican is Frontera Grill
BBQ is everywhere. Italian too.
Best Irish bar is Fado's
Best Sports bar is Timothy O'tooles.

Restaurant Row is on Randolph, west of the expressway. Favorite restaurant is Girl and the Goat.

Not much for bars, sorry.

Nearest bjj to The Southside will be Redzovic's Loop location. That's where I started.

Hope this helps.
This is actually exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I eventually want to get a place I can have a dog, but right now I just need an OK ish place to live. For real this helped a lot

Back