Chicago police under fire after 'bait truck' used to lure thieves

I guess they could try leaving it in a nicer high-income neighborhood but all they’d probably get out of that is 237 9-1-1 calls demanding that the abandoned truck be towed away.

Bait Truck...combine that with spotlighting and you have the Urban version of deer poaching.

Reminds me of a deer decoy our local dnr used a couple years ago to catch poachers

Thing got blown to shit and destroyed in just one season

http://www.roboticwildlife.com/page/robotic-decoys-enforcement

Don't shoot at a deer when it's not hunting season, and don't steal things that aren't yours

This seems a lot less entrapment than a drug sting. This is just putting something out there.

I get the angle they should put the bait in the suburbs rich white neighborhoods equally and bust some spoiled brat kids/teens/surprising amounts of middle class adults as well

So if you went to a bank and the vault was open, would you steal from them? Or as an adult, do you have the responsibility and common sense to know better?

I don't have an issue with this at all. Don't steal is a very simple lesson that anyone capable of stealing should have learned a long time ago.

The only thing to think about is how much we're criminalizing kids doing stupid shit and thus derailing their futures before they even begin.. This is theft and I'm not going to excuse it. But I hope that most of the minors don't end up with permanents marks on their record as a result. Some of kind of punishment is obviously required.

1)Area is affected by thefts
2)cops deploys bait car to catch thieves
3)bait car catches theives
4)it worked?

Stings are pretty straightforward in theory, but the downside is pretty bad. If used sparingly, and if you target them to catch particular unidentified suspects, they make sense and solve crimes. Otherwise, they are simply a cog in the prison industrial complex; the manufacturing of young criminals.

As citizens, we don't always have the information available to judge whether these traps are being used responsibly. Like all of the shady activities done by law enforcement, we should strive for independent review to ensure we're catching bad guys rather than creating crimes of opportunity for desperate people.

I personally prefer the original surprise van/truck but that is just me...

They could also fill a truck with Air Jordans and I wouldn't bat an eye unless it's Reebok collector's items with Giblert or Anderson Aldo!

As citizens, we don't always have the information available to judge whether these traps are being used responsibly. Like all of the shady activities done by law enforcement, we should strive for independent review to ensure we're catching bad guys rather than creating crimes of opportunity for desperate people.
Since the system is not created-and maintained for jailing lobbyists, bankers and corrupt politicians, we have to go with petty criminals...

Why are you equating a bank robbery to this ? It is completely disingenuous. Firstly, they left the truck open, unlike a bank which has plenty of security to prevent this. There is no real planning or premeditation to take the things in the truck. You could have just been walking by, saw the truck was open and looked inside.

Not at all.

Both have perceived value and are coveted by greedy people, and their actions lead to the same Consequential result.

As well, I and the article stated that the doors to the cars/vehicles are normally locked. I think leaving it unlocked is a bit much.

However, would you have a problem when the doors were locked? As seems to be the common practice.

Since the system is not created-and maintained for jailing lobbyists, bankers and corrupt politicians, we have to go with petty criminals...

I think you are joking around, and it's pretty funny... that said, your deeper point is kind of a good one... but I think it is worth considering.

One is the product or consequence of doing business and cooperation, very subjective most times, while the other is an outright violation of the moral and societal contract without much gray area outside of a social theorists' fever dreams.

Stings are pretty straightforward in theory, but the downside is pretty bad. If used sparingly, and if you target them to catch particular unidentified suspects, they make sense and solve crimes. Otherwise, they are simply a cog in the prison industrial complex; the manufacturing of young criminals.

Desperation makes it ok?

no problem at all

don't steal what isn't yours, you won't be effected
not that complicated

Gonna have to go against the grain with the people I usually find myself agreeing with

This misapplication of resources to target shoe thiefs is egregious enough for me to truly call racism.

Imagine how much money and man power was tied up in this operation. For shoe thiefs.

Imagine being a black man living in this area. How could you not feel like the cops just want to take you off the streets?

Fuck any criminal caught by this, but I still feel like law enforcement is wrong here.

Desperation makes it ok?
It's not about whether it's okay to steal- that debate was probably settled over a million years ago by an ancestor species. I would hope that we wouldn't have to waste our time sorting out something that humans knew from the start.

Baiting impoverished people with illegal, quick ways of getting money is not okay as a means unto itself. We should make sure that we're not doing that with sting operations, and we should determine this through independent review.

Waste of resources and time but fuck those assholes anyway

What is the counter argument outside of wasting tax dollars? Black people cant help but steal? Wtf?

Not hardly. One of the arguments against it is that they only get put up in black neighborhoods....... same with drug busts. White upper class people use drugs in about the same numbers numbers as poor black neighborhoods but get busted as much lower numbers,

Gonna have to go against the grain with the people I usually find myself agreeing with

This misapplication of resources to target shoe thiefs is egregious enough for me to truly call racism.

Imagine how much money and man power was tied up in this operation. For shoe thiefs.

Imagine being a black man living in this area. How could you not feel like the cops just want to take you off the streets?

Fuck any criminal caught by this, but I still feel like law enforcement is wrong here.
You think it costs more or less when the criminals basically hand themselves in?

Fucking hilarious big points for proving stereotypes are actually quite true lmao

Back