Chester Bennington of Linkin Park commits suicide

John Wick

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dead at 41 via hanging at his California residence.

Today is the birthday of his friend Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden, who committed suicide a few months ago.

Here's Chester singing hallelujah at Cornell's funeral

Clearly, this triggered something inside of him.

RIP. Listened to their first 2 albums religiously growing up.

Was a fan growing up and saw them play at Wembley Arena. Hadn't listened to them in years but it still shook me to hear of his death. All the mocking of LP as edgelords is gonna look pretty bad now.

After a tough break up, young Con cried his eyes out to this song

Pretty shocked and saddened by this.

Wasn't their biggest fan, but they had some pretty good tunes and Chester had a great set of pipes.

Hybrid Theory was ahead of it's time. I think I was 20 when it came out, I listened to it countless times. I didn't like the direction of their new stuff, but Chester was really talented. This is really sad.

Dude could sing. Was a big fan of their earlier work. 41 years old? 6 kids? wtf was he thinking? smh RIP

LP has been park of my childhood, grew up with Hybrid Theory and Meteora..

woke up to a text from a friend informing me of this... Fuck.

Was a fan growing up and saw them play at Wembley Arena. Hadn't listened to them in years but it still shook me to hear of his death. All the mocking of LP as edgelords is gonna look pretty bad now.

After a tough break up, young Con cried his eyes out to this song

Immediately listened to Shadow of the Day too after hearing the news. Listened to Easier to Run afterwards and it just hit me that's it going to be very tough listening to LP again. Don't give a fuck what people think of LP but that was my band growing up. Saw them live in 2007 and met Chester. Really nice guy. Sad day.

I thought they were a little too emo that it seemed manufactured but Chester gave it his all during his live performances.

Homeboy must have sweat out tons over the years. He definitely sang with passion.

Screaming while maintaining melody is not easy but he was one of the best at it.

I didn't think I would be as affected by this news as I am.

RIP soul screamer.

The last few weeks I've read some banter from him, ostensibly between him and the fans calling LP out for selling out due to their last album, between him and Corey Taylor etc...

I listened to Hybrid Theory, a friend in high school gave me a copy of the album, and I loved a few songs. I was just starting w metal at the time...

The thing that hurts more than I expected is that it took hearing that he offed himself to remind me how trivial our criticism of artists is. Shit, for all I know their latest album might have been absolute garbage by their fan standards - which, hey, most bands in the game long enough have had to deal with. But we, as fans and as human beings, should occasionally try to remember that these guys are also human beings too, with all the virtues and flaws we all inhabit...

I suppose it's hard to remember this every time an argument starts. And for all I know, he offed himself for reason(s) unrelated to fans, or other people in general. But it costs us so little to at least try and remember that...

The more somber thing that I keep thinking about is how we as a society, broadly speaking, keep attempting to squeeze suicides into neat little categories by characterizing them as stemming from substance abuse, mental illnesses, relationship problems etc. It's a nice little narrative, one meant to protect us from the more dangerous thoughts. Making a suicide out to be an abnormal event, an aberration, an anomaly... we protect ourselves from having to think about the possibility that it was a deliberate, sane choice, based on stone-cold facts and executed consciously and without interference. We make suicides wrong. But are they intrinsically wrong?

I've personally considered the idea many times, and have come out thinking I can always do it later if the going gets real bad, but who is to say that there's no such thing as a rational, well-reasoned thought process that logically leads to a suicide?

guess his wounds did not heal

but hey in the end, it doesnt even matter

The last few weeks I've read some banter from him, ostensibly between him and the fans calling LP out for selling out due to their last album, between him and Corey Taylor etc...

I listened to Hybrid Theory, a friend in high school gave me a copy of the album, and I loved a few songs. I was just starting w metal at the time...

The thing that hurts more than I expected is that it took hearing that he offed himself to remind me how trivial our criticism of artists is. Shit, for all I know their latest album might have been absolute garbage by their fan standards - which, hey, most bands in the game long enough have had to deal with. But we, as fans and as human beings, should occasionally try to remember that these guys are also human beings too, with all the virtues and flaws we all inhabit...

I suppose it's hard to remember this every time an argument starts. And for all I know, he offed himself for reason(s) unrelated to fans, or other people in general. But it costs us so little to at least try and remember that...

The more somber thing that I keep thinking about is how we as a society, broadly speaking, keep attempting to squeeze suicides into neat little categories by characterizing them as stemming from substance abuse, mental illnesses, relationship problems etc. It's a nice little narrative, one meant to protect us from the more dangerous thoughts. Making a suicide out to be an abnormal event, an aberration, an anomaly... we protect ourselves from having to think about the possibility that it was a deliberate, sane choice, based on stone-cold facts and executed consciously and without interference. We make suicides wrong. But are they intrinsically wrong?

I've personally considered the idea many times, and have come out thinking I can always do it later if the going gets real bad, but who is to say that there's no such thing as a rational, well-reasoned thought process that logically leads to a suicide?

Banter between him, and Corey? Why were they arguing?

Banter between him, and Corey? Why were they arguing?

It wasn't even them, it was the media outlets getting the Slipknot vs Linkin Park angle aka metal vs "fake" metal angle... I mean, I get it, LP were popish but the whole argument was meaningless

It wasn't even them, it was the media outlets getting the Slipknot vs Linkin Park angle aka metal vs "fake" metal angle... I mean, I get it, LP were popish but the whole argument was meaningless

Don't even see the point in starting that argument.

Alot of the songs and song titles on the new album make alot more sense now, after what happened today.

Regardless if the songs were written by multiple people, on Chesters end, they were clearly a cry for help.

RIP.

Stepping in for Weiland may be a curse.

Chris Cornell's suicide 2 months ago triggered this. Its his birthday today. Chester was close to him and was his son's godfather. It has nothing to do with Scott.

Back in my retail days, I got ahold of a promo version of Hybrid Theory in an IRC chatroom full of music hackers. I rocked the shit out of that album. Almost a year later, mainstream got ahold of them and overplayed the shit out of that album. Almost every song became a single. It was crazy. Not a fan of the new stuff, but they definitely made their mark. Never thought I'd see something like this happening. They sold something crazy like 70 million records; just goes to show money can't buy happiness and depression is powerful. Very sad and I feel real bad for his kids. Just turrible

My wife and I saw P.O.D., HedPE, and Linkin Park at Bronco Bowl in Dallas about a million years ago. Chatted it up for quite a while w/ Linkin Park late AF after the show. At Bronco Bowl, the vans/tour buses would park right next to regular parking. Not many people were left and Chester and I were both fiending for a cigarette (we were all out) and none were around. We went looking. After looking around a bit, went back to the van (yes, they were touring in a regular van still) and I saw Chester was smoking a cigarette. "Oh nice, you found a cigarette?". "This isn't a cigarette, brother" and passed it over to me. Now, I don't even smoke weed, but I did that night for that special occasion. I know he's been quoted talking a lot of shit lately, since no one likes the new album, but he really was a nice guy. Some of the music idols I've been lucky enough to meet have been total dicks when I finally met them, but Linkin Park really were chill as shit. RIP

Back