Chelated Nutrients for those who have mental illnesses?

CaliforniaBJJ**

Green Belt
Reaction score
My brother has mental illnesses and I was recommended this by a father whose daughter has the same problem:
Truehope: Take control of your nutrition and mental health

The nutrients seem to be the same of a regular multi-vit

Are these 'chelated' vit and minerals worth it?

"what's the difference between EMPowerplus and a regular multivitamin?
EMPowerplus contains a broad spectrum of vitamins and trace minerals in a balance designed specifically for people with mental illnesses. The nutrients are chelated, which means that they are bonded to organic molecules so that the body absorbs them better. This helps keep the nutrient levels in proper balance. "

While I'm not a doctor, form the bit I looked they looked like regular vitamins to me. I would personally think that a high quality whole food vitamin would be just as (if not more) effective.

"what's the difference between EMPowerplus and a regular multivitamin?
EMPowerplus contains a broad spectrum of vitamins and trace minerals in a balance designed specifically for people with mental illnesses. The nutrients are chelated, which means that they are bonded to organic molecules so that the body absorbs them better. This helps keep the nutrient levels in proper balance. "

He has schizophrenia and phycosis.

Im sorry to her about your brother. People on this forum admire fighters for the sacrifice and discipline to train and the guts to lock themselves in a cage. Thats a walk-in-the-park compared to the misery, loneliness and dispair of illnesses like that.

These sort of things (mental illness, chronic fatigue etc.) usually require a little tweak in ones physiology. It could be a missing nutrient, amino, vitamin etc. Hence the popularity of supplements - everyone is chasing the magic bullet.

My advice- give it a try. You literally have nothing to lose (except a few bucks.) Do be wary though - I doesnt appear to be ground breaking stuff , simply a uniquely more compassionate sales pitch and nice website. Of course, i could be wrong,

There is a really good doc in the uk that helps these sorts of things. Try drmyhill.co.uk. Ive had Chronic fatigue for 12 years after contracting Epstein barr virus and although im still putting my 'health puzzle' pieces together to regain my life - her site helped me, and i didnt buy anything off her, just read her research. I took a magnesium supplement, b12 injections and my health improved dramatically.

So keep doing research you're on the right track - its unlikely you'll get a cure from GlaxoSmithKline or alike, it could very well be a $10 bottle of b vitmains or eliminating wheat,dairy.

Good luck.

i think bottom line is you're highly unlikely to see any benefits you couldn't get from a sugar pill. in theory, metals bonded to a chelated structure are better. in practice, they need to be bonded to the correct type of structure to be analogous or identical to the nutrients (metal + structure it's bonded to) you get from diet, be it the charge of the metal, or the shape and charges of the overall molecule.

scratch that bottom line is chelated nutrients = better form of vitamin in general, take any company who produces such products with a huge grain of salt until they can show something though because they can be inserting a buzzword when in reality they need to be selling nutrients packaged in a way that is analogous to some beneficial species, and not merely chelated, and further you're unlikely to treat mental illness with something along the lines of a trace mineral.

He has schizophrenia and phycosis.

My friend and his mom both have it. I practically grew up with them, and was able to see it first hand. I try to keep him busy with things. It seems to help quite a bit. His medications aren't really enough. If he starts getting depressed or lonely that's when things get out of hand. I make him lift weights, I introduce him to new people and take him out places with me all the time. The more friends he has, the better he seems to be. His mom stays in her room all day, and gets really really bad. From all the years I've been there to observe it, I noticed a pattern with what causes them to trip. Main things I've noticed is: being lonely, getting angry and overall unhappy or depressed. Keep them happy and busy, they seem to be alright. It won't stop everything, but it seems to minimize how often the trip. I don't think he has had an "episode" in over a year and he seems to be really doing good.

His mom is a little too far gone for that now. After spending years only staying in your room alone, to occasionally come down for food, is going to do some major mental damage. He's been taking her out on weekends to go shopping and what not. I'm not sure if that's been helping her because I haven't seen her for a couple months now.

While I don't normally pay attention to news articles about supplements (since they are usually exploitative in how they present the info). There is a story today about a study that showed fish oil to help prevent the progression of schizophrenia. Considering that everyone should be taking fish oil anyways, it definitely wouldn't hurt to give it a shot

A Study Finds Mental Benefit of Fish Oil - WSJ.com

^^^ Yeah, I've read that several times from other sources and completely forgot about it. They say an overall general healthy lifestyle has a big impact on it, mainly a healthy diet.

Back