Checking mid kicks

mocimad3

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
In muay thai class I have a tendency to check mid kicks instead of using my arm to block them. My instructor doesn't like it and says it leaves you too open to be swept.

I looked it up after class and found that Thai boxers more often prefer to check mid kicks whereas dutch style kickboxers like to block with arms. Obviously this is just preferences between the two styles not the only way each style handles mid kicks. I tend to naturally favor kicking and have a more traditional muay thai stance as opposed to other styles.

So does anyone else likes to check mid kicks? I'm going to try to mix in both ways because from a taking damage perspective it makes sense in my opinion so your arm doesn't get jacked up and numb from multiple kicks? Plus I doubt i'll be doing anything without shinguards anytime soon

In MT, you block mid kicks with your shin. Period. Anything else is not MT. It's either KB, or MT for MMA (!?)

Try a parry, I used to hate parrying because I felt it left me too open but the more you learn to use them properly they are really good, if you parry a midkick well(you might even catch it if you're quick enough) it can leave the opponen terribly off balance

In MT, you block mid kicks with your shin. Period. Anything else is not MT. It's either KB, or MT for MMA (!?)

I used to try and channel Sagat from Street Fighter as a youngster, blocking kicks with the shin seems practical to me, but it also seems to impede movement a bit too much, here's a question snce you know a lot about Muay Thai, would closing the distance help against a midkick? like initiating a clinch and nullifying the range?

I should clarify I don't mean just grapping on, I mean if you see a guy going for a mid kick and take a few quick steps forward to the inside, would that throw him off much?

Are you sure? If this can be confirmed it would be a good indication my instructor is a dumbass. By block I mean they have you lean your arm down so it completely covers your torso. It's always felt weird to me.

Try a parry, I used to hate parrying because I felt it left me too open but the more you learn to use them properly they are really good, if you parry a midkick well(you might even catch it if you're quick enough) it can leave the opponen terribly off balance

I love parrying punches. Not sure how I'd do with kicks though. I'm not quick enough yet to reliably catch a kick from someone who is skilled.

Are you sure? If this can be confirmed it would be a good indication my instructor is a dumbass. By block I mean they have you lean your arm down so it completely covers your torso. It's always felt weird to me.

I love parrying punches. Not sure how I'd do with kicks though. I'm not quick enough yet to reliably catch a kick from someone who is skilled.

I think you'd definately have to be on your toes moving your body back if trying to parry a midkick, certainly you can't just stand there and try it, it's too powerful, but if you can time it and move yourself back while swiping at the foot, you might catch it

Yeah you can check middle (body) kicks, its normal. There's the "wall" as well, where you check and have your arm to brace as well for more protection (your elbow touching your quad/knee in the check).

As for checking body kicks, they're not really my thing. I usually prefer the block-catch. Blocking it, and grabbing the foot with an underhand grip with the opposite hand, and working from there.

= kickboxing + basic clinch work (basic as in, 99% of the gyms only go over double collar, and nothing else)

brb escaping the double collar by trying to hook punch my way out, or cross blocking straight knee strikes

shit, even if the catch doesn't work, a straight right hand can work wonders in that situation, it's really hard to defend against when throwing a body kick, because of the commitment, the head has to turn too which makes the chin an optimum target

shit, even if the catch doesn't work, a straight right hand can work wonders in that situation, it's really hard to defend against when throwing a body kick, because of the commitment, the head has to turn too which makes the chin an optimum target

Speakiing of commitment though, if you are going to throw a right hand while someone throws a midkick at you, you definately have to commit with everything you've got, not be worried about the kick landing

Yeah you can check middle (body) kicks, its normal. There's the "wall" as well, where you check and have your arm to brace as well for more protection (your elbow touching your quad/knee in the check).

= kickboxing + basic clinch work (basic as in, 99% of the gyms only go over double collar, and nothing else)

brb escaping the double collar by trying to hook punch my way out, or cross blocking straight knee strikes

I've punched people in the dome after they have caught my leg and then yanked it out or pushed off them which only seems to work with good timing. Trying to go into the clinch after getting it caught gets me swept. I'm still new trying to learn and I have a hard time catching kicks with 16 oz sparring gloves

We don't even practice knees in sparring unless you are in the clinch.

By the way speaking of mid kicks can I block them with the opposite shin. Say if I screw up and don't have time to get the same side leg up? I mean it seems to work?

Speakiing of commitment though, if you are going to throw a right hand while someone throws a midkick at you, you definately have to commit with everything you've got, not be worried about the kick landing

Would probably work if your opponent has a wimpy roundhouse. In a more sparring situation I wouldn't even put too much into my right hand (I've rocked people with a jab unintentionally) . I'm more trying to figure out some technique details. The only time people can get in for a punch when I'm on the outside kicking them is if my timing is way off or they are much faster

I've punched people in the dome after they have caught my leg and then yanked it out or pushed off them which only seems to work with good timing. Trying to go into the clinch after getting it caught gets me swept. I'm still new trying to learn and I have a hard time catching kicks with 16 oz sparring gloves

As for checking body kicks, they're not really my thing.I usually prefer the block-catch. Blocking it, and grabbing the foot with an underhand grip with the opposite hand, and working from there.

By the way speaking of mid kicks can I block them with the opposite shin. Say if I screw up and don't have time to get the same side leg up? I mean it seems to work?

Would probably work if your opponent has a wimpy roundhouse. In a more sparring situation I wouldn't even put too much into my right hand (I've rocked people with a jab unintentionally) . I'm more trying to figure out some technique details. The only time people can get in for a punch when I'm on the outside kicking them is if my timing is way off or they are much faster

You must be some fucking hitter then <45>

r/I usually prefer the block-catch. Blocking it, and grabbing the foot with an underhand grip with the opposite hand, and working from there.
This is what I'm pretty much suggesting with the parry, why not try to move yourself bac ka half step and catch it with your lead hand, then hit them with your back hand?

Dunno why its quoted like that lol, hope you can still make out my post

Yes I am going to try that but I'm not really fast. If I catch it I guess it should hit them with a jab if I'm not feeling cheeky or attempt a sweep (I've had that done enough time to me that I know how) Will take some practice.

My roundhouse is really good but my punches are average for someone my size. I caught a dude who was probably 140 lb (I'm 185 lb) with a really clean jab in the mouth and he stumbled back 3 steps and had a busted lip. It was after he did a good combo and then he dropped his hands and I got too excited.

As for checking body kicks, they're not really my thing. I usually prefer the block-catch. Blocking it, and grabbing the foot with an underhand grip with the opposite hand, and working from there.

So if I'm imagining this right, they go for a middle kick, and you do the "step-off-the-side-slightly-and-catch-the-kick-with-an-overhook-type-grip?" If this is the case, your grip might be in the wrong spot, you usually grab around the ankle. It should feel uncomfortable to them like a ankle lock before applied. I'm guessing you catch around the middle of the shin. This could be why they could pull away easily.

Another reason for this placement could be that when you move out of the way, you're just moving side to side, do it at a 45 degree angle backwards (so 45 deg. to your right, against orthodox) so their ankle lines right up with your grip. Also, after you grip, squeeze it tight, and pull it high. So, instead of the grip being at your abs, bring it up to near chest level.

Knees
Why do you guys not do outside (long) knees? They're actually more devastating than clinch knees imo. At least in the clinch you have an instinctual feel its going to come so you kind of brace and expect it, but from the outside, those are the real nasty ones that catches you off guard. Is it because your coach is worried about the power and you guys might end up hurting each other?

If you want to practice it, you'll have to find a partner and do it on your own time like open mat or something.

rear leg check
Its fighting, so if you can make it work, and it falls within the ruleset its fine. But it will depend on your stance, typically a back leg check takes longer to check compared to using your lead leg, also to check the chick with your back leg, you'd have to turn in to match it, which will probably leave you compromised being on the side while they're lined up straight towards you. Now if its against an opposite stanced partner/opponent it could be okay.

Yes I am going to try that but I'm not really fast. If I catch it I guess it should hit them with a jab if I'm not feeling cheeky or attempt a sweep (I've had that done enough time to me that I know how) Will take some practice.

My roundhouse is really good but my punches are average for someone my size. I caught a dude who was probably 140 lb (I'm 185 lb) with a really clean jab in the mouth and he stumbled back 3 steps and had a busted lip. It was after he did a good combo and then he dropped his hands and I got too excited.
45lb difference is alot

What size are you mate? if you are rocking guys with jabs then you have a big advantage, but you seem smart and not getting cocky about your power, eager to learn, which is smart because many a big puncher has gone down hard with the attitude of "nobody can take my power, if I hit them, they go"

there's ALWAYS someone who can take your power, always

Just saw you said you were 185 lol, what height though?

Okay I'm taking all that into consideration but it's a little advanced for where I am at currently. We don't practice long knees because half of the gym is too inexperienced for it, so too dangerous. So rear leg checks aren't used often? wow first they tell me I shouldn't check mid kicks and now I find out the way I check kicks with just my lead leg sometimes is fine? Interesting...

Yeah the guy was doing a nate diaz to me throwing a flurry of punches and kicks when my back was against the wall, so I got nervous and hit him somewhat hard with a jab. It wasn't full power he is just smaller. I am 185 and 5'10. People get bruises through pads when i roundhouse kick them and while sparring I constantly am worried about hurting people. It's embarrassing because it's not the sort of gym where this is encouraged and I feel badly for it.

Okay I'm taking all that into consideration but it's a little advanced for where I am at currently. We don't practice long knees because half of the gym is too inexperienced for it, so too dangerous. So rear leg checks aren't used often? wow first they tell me I shouldn't check mid kicks and now I find out the way I check kicks with just my lead leg sometimes is fine? Interesting...

Yeah the guy was doing a nate diaz to me throwing a flurry of punches and kicks when my back was against the wall, so I got nervous and hit him somewhat hard with a jab. It wasn't full power he is just smaller. I am 185 and 5'10. People get bruises through pads when i roundhouse kick them and while sparring I constantly am worried about hurting people. It's embarrassing because it's not the sort of gym where this is encouraged and I feel badly for it.

I had an old boxing trainer who I respected very much, he knew a hell of a lot and was an ex professioal, but he ept trying to make me throw my hook with a horizontal fist and there was no fucking way I had better powerr throwing my punches that way, it happens. Everybody has to find their own way, but as Marty Crane said you have to learn the fundamentals first

You learn the rules then you end up breaking them

If this can be confirmed

You can confirm with the MT rules... Kick to the body=heavy damage=Max points, Kick blocked by arms=some damage=some points, kick checked=no damage=no points

By block I mean they have you lean your arm down so it completely covers your torso.

What the fak? Never heard of that kind of block... Your arm will be destroyed...and how do you protect your head if its a mid feint to high?

would closing the distance help against a midkick? like initiating a clinch and nullifying the range?

I should clarify I don't mean just grapping on, I mean if you see a guy going for a mid kick and take a few quick steps forward to the inside, would that throw him off much?

First off all, you don't have time for few quick steps.. secondly, you risk running into a elbow, and also, a short mid kick can become a knee... so you will still get hit.
If there is one step to do during a kick, for me is sideways "away" from the kick, to try to lessen the impact, or catch it. But for a beginner, he should drill checks.

Yes with the front, not with the rear...it will depend on witch leg you are heavy at the moment...

or cross blocking straight knee strikes

Ha...don't forget to bend real low, so he has also the choice between face and plexus...

First off all, you don't have time for few quick steps.. secondly, you risk running into a elbow, and also, a short mid kick can become a knee... so you will still get hit.
If there is one step to do, for me is to the sideways "away" from the kick, to try to lessen the impact, or catch it. But for a beginner, he should drill checks.

Fair enough, but I am admittedly coming at this from a more relaxed boxing based stance, not with the back foot planted

You always risk running into a short shot be it a punch or an elbow but unless it's a feint the guy who has commited to the kick isn't throwing an elbow anytime soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back