Chasing Mediocrity

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by deckingdutchman, Sep 2, 2018.

1. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Yellow Belt

Getting back into lifting after a looooong lay off. Have a barbell and 500lbs of bumper plates, no rack or anything else.

Goals: Get down to around 205, OHP my bodyweight, deadlift 500lbs.

Going to be doing the following to start with:

Day 1
    Deadlift 3x5
    BOR 3x5
    Floor Press 3x5

Day 2
    Power Clean 5x3
    Front Squat 3x5
    OHP 3x5

I''ll be doing some mobility work/stretching after I lift.

The long story:

I'm 27, 6'3", and about 250. I was very active all through my teens until I was 21. Muay Thai, weightlifting, hiking, all sorts of stuff. I started working as an oil field diver at that point, and did that for 4.5 years. I was gone from home half the time stuck on oil rigs and boats, and on some jobs worked stupidly long days with inadequate nutrition. I initially tried to stay on top of my lifting, but with the inevitable loss of progress due to my work I got frustrated with it and stopped. While I was diving, I had no major injuries (couple broken fingers and things like that but nothing lasting). Got sick of being gone all the time, so when I was 25 I stopped and moved back to Seattle. Got a job working for a marine hydraulics shop, and now I fix cranes and other hydraulic equipment on boats. The job is still physically demanding (swinging 20lb sledgehammers against steel pins, dragging 200lb pumps of and down drydocks, lot of climbing on cranes, etc), but nothing like the pace of my old job. However, over the last few years I've accumulated some injuries, the most significant ones being a grade two ligament tear by my left SI joint, and a grade 2 right elbow radial ligament tear. There's a bunch of other aches and pains related to improper/over use, but those are the big ones. Ever since the SI joint sprain (a little over a year ago) the left side of my back hasn't been as strong as it used to be. I believe the injury is mostly/completely healed, but the surrounding musculature just never strengthened back up to where it was. Same story with the elbow, though it was more recent (9 months ago) and is still a it uncomfortable from time to time but it's definitely improving. I'm not terribly weak, can still BP my bodyweight (or close to it) and comfortably do pullups. However, I think I'm developing all kinds of imbalances and stiffness because while I do plenty of heavy lifting at work, it's always at weird angles and usually not for a full range of motion. I've also gotten a bit heavier than I'd like. I don't mind from an aesthetics standpoint, and while not lean I'm definitely not obese, but I think being a little lighter would help my knees/back out quite a bit in the long run. Thus, I've decided to start back with a basic lifting split, I'm going to start light and progressively increase weight, and hopefully my weak spots will catch up to the rest of me and I will regain some muscle balance and mobility. I don't have any goals in the upper echelons of athletics, would just like to feel a little better. The goals I set are just to have some numbers to chase.

2. deckingdutchman

First workout back was yesterday, 9/1.

Deadlift
    3x5x135

BOR
    3x5x135

Floor Press
    3x5x135

Everything felt fine, will go up to 155 across the board next time. Nothing was heavy, just easing back into it. Did notice the left side of my back (erector mainly) was working significantly harder then the right when staying symmetrical on deads and bors. Nothing unexpected. Went underhand grip on the rows, will stick with that for the time being.

3. deckingdutchman

Power Clean
    5x3x95

Front Squat
    3x5x95

OHP
    3x5x95

Rack position was a little iffy, think my triceps are a bit tight. Can only keep two fingers under the bar when front squatting without dropping my elbows. Also, my right adductor seems a bit tight, was kind of stingy/crampy after the front squats. Is it sad that the OHPs were by far the easiest? lol

4. deckingdutchman

Deadlift
    3x5x145

BOR
    3x5x145

Floor Press
    3x5x145

Working on nailing deadlift form again. I tend to start with my hips a little low. Felt my elbow a little on BORs, but not in a bad way. Floor press was cake, I think I could 30 rep that weight. Strange how my pressing strength seems to be what I lost the least of.

5. deckingdutchman

Power Clean
    5x3x115

Front Squat
    3x5x115

OHP
    2x5x115
    1x3x115

Workout was fine. Right adductor still a little tight on the front squats, but a lot better than last time. Cleans are cake weight-wise, but my form is still a bit inconsistent. On the reps where I'm nailing the timing just right, the bar blows way up above my face without any additional effort. It's happening about 1 out or 3 reps, just gotta get more consistent with them. Crapped out on OHP. Gonna keep weight the same across the board next time to try to clean those things up a little.

Also I actually stood on the scale for the first time in months and I got fatter than I realized; 261. Not sure if I should start cutting aggressively now or wait a few months to get used to the strength training again.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  6. deckingdutchman

Deadlift
    3x5x155

BOR
    3x5x155

Floor Press
    3x5x155

7. deckingdutchman

Power Clean
    5x3x125

Front Squat
    3x5x125

OHP
    3x5x115

I'm wondering if I should knock my power cleans down to 3 sets of 3. Since I don't have a rack, I'm also basically doing 6 singles for my other lifts.

8. deckingdutchman

Deadlift
    3x5x165

BOR
    3x5x165

Floor Press
    3x5x165

Due to my lack of small plates, I'll be going up to 185 next time. Deadlift will still be cake, but we'll see if I can get all my reps on the Floor Presses/BORs.

9. deckingdutchman

Power Clean
    2x3x135
    1x2x135 (+failed rep)
    1x1x135

Front Squat
    2x5x115
    1x6x115 (+ failed rep)

OHP
    1x5x115
    1x4x115 (+ failed rep)

Crap workout, just wasn't there mentally. Felt like I didn't have the focus to complete reps when they started getting hard.

10. deckingdutchman

Deadlift
    3x5x185

BOR
    2x5x165
    1x12x165

Floor Press
    2x5x165
    1x11x165

No issues. Trying to be patient upping the weight on deadlifts, but it still feels like a warm up weight. Just want to do every rep perfect and symmetrically to fully rehab my old tweaks/weak spots and keep working up. For some odd reason the tendon on the front left of my neck (running up and down next to my adam's apple) feels a bit strained on floor presses, been playing with head position to no avail.

11. deckingdutchman

Power Clean
    3x3x135

Front Squat
    1x4x135 (+1 fail)
    1x12x95 (+1 fail)

OHP
    3x5x125

Didn't go so good. I suck at front squats, apparently. I can literally OHP more than I can front squat. Was going for 3 sets with 135, but after I failed on the first one I just did a back off set. Also my right wrist started bugging me pretty good during that first work set of front squats, and when I went to do the second set I couldn't get back into rack position without pain so I just used the arms crossed grip for the other set. Also, I'm struggling to catch cleans in the rack position, I tend to catch them with my arms and then move them back. Gotta work on that. With how far behind my front squats are, I wonder if I should program them in every day. Might switch to something like front squat/ohp/dead on day one, and front squat/floor press/bor on day two. Would still be doing some cleans to get the weight up off the floor obviously.

12. deckingdutchman

Deadlift
    3x5x195

BOR
    3x185
    2x10x165

Floor Press
    3x5x185

13. deckingdutchman

Power Clean
    3x3x145

OHP
    1x3x145
    2x10x115

Didn't do front squats cause my wrist is still bugging me from last time, was getting pretty bad towards the end of power cleans.

14. deckingdutchman

Deadlift
    3x5x205

BOR
    3x5x185

Floor Press
    3x5x195

Front Squat
    1x10x95
    1x5x95

Wrist felt okay, added front squats at the end... I front squat like a little bitch. Idk what it is lol, I blow at em. I know if I keep going as I do it should balance out, but I'm tempted to drop everything else and just front squat every day. I'm fairly confident I can curl what I can front squat. Anyone else have this issue? Is it a tall guy thing or just a noob thing?

15. deckingdutchman

Changing things up, gonna start a PTTP style routine. Should've done this earlier, but went and found all my old paper training logs and found I've made the most progress like this in the past. So I'm gonna roll with it. Also picked up a couple 2.5 and 5 lb plates (smallest I had before was 10s)

OHP
    5x45
    3x95
    1x105
    5x115
    5x105

Deadlift
    5x95
    3x135
    1x160
    5x175
    5x160

Gonna run the same weight every day this week to get used to the frequency. Next week I'll start ramping up weight/cycling. Gonna start logging warmup sets too

16. deckingdutchman

OHP
    5x45
    3x95
    1x105
    5x115
    5x105

Deadlift
    5x95
    3x135
    1x160
    5x175
    5x160

Felt fine, little harder than doing the same yesterday but that was expected. Also started doing the one bar warmup (google it if you're unfamiliar, from an old t-nation arcticle) again a few workouts ago and I'm finding all my tight spots lol. Definitely feel my left SI joint (the one I sprained last year), and also my left hip flexors and right elbow/shoulder afterwards.

17. deckingdutchman

OHP
    5x45
    3x95
    1x105
    5x115
    5x105

Deadlift
    5x95
    3x135
    1x160
    5x175
    5x160

Did a very minimal warmup, was short on time. I'm noticing my lower back feeling very fatigued when swapping plates during deadlifts. Maybe I'm rounding just a little coming out of the hole, but am attempting to stay tight. Will keep working on mobility and maybe add a belt on my work sets, in the past I've noticed wearing a belt helps remind me to keep my core right. Also my everything is starting to get fairly sore, especially my traps.

Korolla likes this.
  18. deckingdutchman

OHP
    5x45
    5x95
    5x105

Deadlift
    3x5x105

Took it a little lighter today. Got a sudden sharp pain in my left si joint last night. It was stiff in the morning and improved throughout the day. It didn't hurt when lifting at all, but I didn't want to push it. Also didn't do the overhead squats part of my warm up. Will be back up to full speed tomorrow, then the weekend off and going to start light and ramp up.

Korolla likes this.