Charles Oliveira says he’s a ‘legend’ after breaking Royce Gracie’s UFC record

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
The 28-year-old lightweight submitted Christos Giagos at the Ibirapuera gymnasium Saturday night, breaking Royce Gracie’s record for most submissions in UFC history and pocketing another post-fight bonus, his 12th in the company.

”I will never forget tonight. To surpass Royce at age 28, I will never forget this moment,” Oliveira told the media after his win. “Man, I’ve surpassed Royce, the No. 1, in the UFC.”

”I’m a legend now,” he continued. “But I’ll keep my feet on the ground. We will break more records, we will become champion, but it’s one step at a time. We broke a record today, surpassed Royce, but there are many people with better jiu-jitsu than me in the UFC. I have to train more, and that’s what I’m doing.”

Like he has done before and after his recent UFC fights at lightweight, Oliveira once again asked for a chance to go back to featherweight. Promising to be a “new Charles” after moving full time to Chute Boxe Diego Lima in Sao Paulo, “do Bronx” says his new mindset of taking no breaks from training help him stay in shape.

If he’s given a chance to go back to 145 pounds, Oliveira says he will no longer take short-notice fights.

”First of all, don’t accept fights with 10, 15 days’ notice. The fight that made me move up to lightweight was with 20 days’ notice in Mexico. I need more time,” Oliveira said, mentioning his loss to Ricardo Lamas. “I’m on a new team now, working with nutritionists and physical therapists, so it’s a different structure I had in the past.

”If the UFC gives me an opportunity at featherweight in two months, no doubt I’ll make weight. If I have a one- or two-month camp, I’ll definitely make weight.”

Winner of three of four fights since moving up to 155 pounds, submitting Will Brooks, Clay Guida and Giagos, Oliveira aims at the most dangerous opponents at 145 pounds.

”They say ‘this guy doesn’t want to fight, that guy doesn’t want to fight.’ Throw me among the five best,” Oliveira said. “Who are they? Jose Aldo, Renato Moicano, that Russian [Zabit Magomedsharipov] no one wants to fight. I’ll fight anyone. I’ve never turned down a fight in the UFC, and I’m here to fight.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

A legend who's a unranked gatekeeper and who lost every fight vs a legit contender + missed weight 4 times.

Anyway, good job though.

Legends make weight

This was a few days before a fight which he missed weight for:

L5VuQeF.jpg

“This is my house now. I purchased it.”

- Aloe Vera

Say what you will but this guys jitz is up there with the best of the best today

In my book this record is enough to call him a legend. This record wont be broken in years and years to come.

Sherdoggers get a nice opportunity to hate and put someone. Free food basically.

Say what you will but this guys jitz is up there with the best of the best today
His submission game is dangerous offensively but he gets submitted a lot too, his submission defense is def behind his submission offense but yeah his submission offense is impressive esp with his long limbs but the defense leads me to question whether he is up there with the best of the best

i mean he has just set a new record that is unlikely to be matched in a while.

why is everyone so pissed off at the idea that he's achieved something legendary?

Wow, a lot of fat, jealous losers in this thread.

Oliveira is right. He is a legend. It is a fact.

Most submissions in UFC history = legend.

Deal with it.

A legend in his own mind. I kind of like the guy though. 9/10 times he puts on a great fight.

he truly is

Charles > the gracies

Back