Changing My Oil This Weekend

Never understood how people could go through life not knowing how to do something as simple as changing oil. It's a 10 minute job, including clean up. I've never paid to have it done, and can't imagine I ever will. I can have it changed in less time it takes to call and make an appointment and drive there.
Anyone that can't handle loosening and tightening a bolt and filter, should be culled from society.
Not every car is that simple unfortunately.
Many cars you need to jack or drop the engine to get to the filter.
Mostly Mercedes

Not every car is that simple unfortunately.
Many cars you need to jack or drop the engine to get to the filter.
Mostly Mercedes
"Many cars (Mercedes) need the engine pulled to change the oil"??

<puh-lease75>

You should always do your own basic car maintenance if you have a garage. You got like a 50/50 chance of actually getting your oil changed at one of those jiffy lube chains, and if they do change it, they put in taco bell meat quality oil. Just look at Youtube, all those places just scam the shit out of people.

Last edited:
I pay peasants for manual labor. These hands were not made for digging ditches.

"Many cars (Mercedes) need the engine pulled to change the oil"??

<puh-lease75>
When did I say pull the engine? I said jack the engine up so you have space the reach the filter.
I did a oil change on a newer Lexus you needed to raise the engine or take the wheel off to reach the filter.
You just loosen the mounts and raise it about two inches, needs to be done with some Mercedes as well, you're not that smart because you can reach the filter in your Honda Civic behind the intake, not every car is designed with maintenance in mind.
You need to jack the engine to do spark plugs in subies and many merceds as well, try again

45 is a lot for an oil change

5 quarts of synthetic oil is $25. A good filter is about $10. $10 for the labor, disposal and tax. $45 seems like a good deal.

I’d rather do it myself so I know it’s done right.

I recall many years back, a guy had his oil changed at a quick lube and his transmission started shifting hard and was noisy and the car was smoking. Checked the fluid and it was empty. Filled it up and checked his engine oil, it was way over full. They drained his transmission and put 5 quarts of oil in his engine. If he had an automatic, it wouldn't have moved.

I assume most people couldn't make a vaguely recognizable sketch of a jack & jack stand, much less own them and use them.

16kl74.png

I know a lot of guys who think they can work on cars... usually in the shop shortly after they fuck something up.

Besides, it's hard to justify buying the oil and filter and time for what my mechanic charges.

If someone can fuck up changing oil I have no sympathy for that person.

If someone can fuck up changing oil I have no sympathy for that person.

Oh, I agree. You decide to take it upon yourself to do something you are responsible for your actions and the results. Basic accountability...

That being said, I guess my time is worth more than being too cheap to shell out thirty bucks... besides he checks and fills other shit while he's at it.

My car's filter is on top of the engine. It was the easiest oil change I've ever done. 30 mins tops. Probably have it down to 15 the next time I do it.

And I guarantee you the reason so many engines take 5.5 quarts is so you're forced to buy two 5 quart bottles at once (no duh it's available in single quarts but who messes with that noise).

Anyway, I'm all man once again.

Never understood how people could go through life not knowing how to do something as simple as changing oil. It's a 10 minute job, including clean up. I've never paid to have it done, and can't imagine I ever will. I can have it changed in less time it takes to call and make an appointment and drive there.
Anyone that can't handle loosening and tightening a bolt and filter, should be culled from society.
“10 minute job including cleanup”

Stop with the bullshit bravado, it takes 10 minutes just to get your shit together to get started.

It’s not a hard task, but it’s also not hard to pay someone 45$ to do it for you..

Back