Changing My Oil This Weekend

Cherry Brigand

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Back in the day when I had more time than money, I used to change my oil and do all basic car maintenance myself (still do the latter). But as life got more full, I started using a local shop to do it. I mean, you can't beat in and out in 15 minutes for 45.00. Also the numbers never worked: the buy in costs (jack, jack stands, oil, filter, etc) and the cost per change it would have taken me dozens to break even. However, I now I have a second vehicle that requires oil changes (our third has lifetime changes for free), so I'm diving in.

Haven't done an oil change in probably 15 years myself. Both dreading and looking forward to it.

Next up, gonna try to change the rotors and brake pads on my van. Youtube!

They call it changing your oil now?
1515203156197.jpg

Good luck.

Looking forward to your next thread, ’Trying to unseize my engine this week’.

Brakes is where you're really going to save money. Usually don't need a whole lot to do them. Standard set of tools and a C clamp to hold the piston down.

I sometimes change my own oil. I have to use synthetic so it's worth for me to do it on my own. Recently my oil container got super full and I had no milk gallons for recycling. So I'm saving them up as my daughter goes through them so I can empty my oil and start doing it again on my own.

Yeah, put it on YouTube. It sounds like it is going to be hilarious

Never understood how people could go through life not knowing how to do something as simple as changing oil. It's a 10 minute job, including clean up. I've never paid to have it done, and can't imagine I ever will. I can have it changed in less time it takes to call and make an appointment and drive there.
Anyone that can't handle loosening and tightening a bolt and filter, should be culled from society.

Never understood how people could go through life not knowing how to do something as simple as changing oil. It's a 10 minute job, including clean up. I've never paid to have it done, and can't imagine I ever will. I can have it changed in less time it takes to call and make an appointment and drive there.
Anyone that can't handle loosening and tightening a bolt and filter, should be culled from society.
i agree with this for the most part. maybe not the cull part.

its not a difficult thing to do .

Yea it was one of the many things my dad forced me to do that I never wanted to learn how to do or do at all. Same with changing a tire, battery, brakes, etc. He forced me to learn all of it and I hated it. It somehow always seemed to be the middle of Texas summer when he wanted me to go outside and learn this shit. So glad he forced it on me.

just did this 2 days ago. Warm the engine a bit and drains a lot faster. Be aware that it will be hot and dont touch the exhaust.

Some stuff you really don't even need to jack up and use stands. I lay down beside some cars, even those very low to the ground, and just reach my arm underneath. That's on stuff without splash shields and other stuff in the way to remove though. With all that in the way, you normally are going to need to jack it up at the very least to make it a lot easier.

Walmart typically has the cheapest prices on most oil by the way. Amazon is usually reasonable and I would only buy oil from auto part stores on special as their normal prices are quite high.

Most people USED to own a jack and jack stands. The pussies that are classified as “people” these days do not.

I didn't think about it that way. People now days might be offended by how the work jack is also a a name most commonly associated with a man and therefore should not be allowed in their safe space.

Some stuff you really don't even need to jack up and use stands. I lay down beside some cars, even those very low to the ground, and just reach my arm underneath. That's on stuff without splash shields and other stuff in the way to remove though. With all that in the way, you normally are going to need to jack it up at the very least to make it a lot easier.

Walmart typically has the cheapest prices on most oil by the way. Amazon is usually reasonable and I would only buy oil from auto part stores on special as their normal prices are quite high.

I change the oil in my 1 ton without a jack, lots of cars need to be jacked up though.

ITT: People that take way too much pride in working on a car.

I know a lot of guys who think they can work on cars... usually in the shop shortly after they fuck something up.

Besides, it's hard to justify buying the oil and filter and time for what my mechanic charges.

Can you change my oil for me?
I'm too busy having sex.

Back