Changing From Bodybuilding To Boxing

believe you me that this is the last place to get an advice on that topic.

I know that, but I'm asking where do I begin like excercising for a boxer what must I do differently do I stop weights completely ? What will change in dieting just like the rough background of the major changes.

instead of asking a bunch of 15 year old kids who sit on a computer all day....Join a boxing gym...talk to a legit trainer...if you want to change to boxing from bodybuilding...simply stop training like a bodybuilder and train like a boxer...it's really that simple...

layoff of lifting weights for a while.
you have to change your body composition.

it is more difficult to go from bodybuilding into a combat body than the other way around.

you got to give up the bulk look for a shredded look.

do a lot of running because it is going to relax your muscle if you are a stocky guy.

do explosive workouts. to mantain good shape.

fighter fitness is for war.
bodybuilding fitness is only for looks.

I know that, but I'm asking where do I begin like excercising for a boxer what must I do differently do I stop weights completely ? What will change in dieting just like the rough background of the major changes.

It depends on the person. I don't do weight training at all. I still maintain 200-205 mass, and still am very lean (muscular arms, shoulders, back, etc). I do private boxing lessons twice a week, and then do gym work 2-3 times more. So generally I work out no more than 3-4 times a week in the gym, but work out 2-3 hours each session.

I am 6'5, 200-205. If I started to train for amateur fight (can't due to post-concussion issues, slipped on slick concrete RIP)I would up that training I do x2 and likely be as heavy as 215-220 maintaining a strong diet.

It just depends on the person/diet/body type.

I thought having big legs would be a bit of a help, I don't mean like massive tree trunks. But like stockyish legs, I thought would help you have a firm base and generate good power, but I have to agree it's a fact most boxers I've watched have very small legs lol
yes, core and legs are critical for boxing.

I did the opposite, except i train for strength not size.
Anyway you need to box, that's the answer, you will slowly lose mass.

I suggest keep lifting though, just keep your reps low and.volume high (set wise) like a 5x5 even lower reps like tripples or dubs, to mantain your strength.

If you've been lifting for a long time especially in your teens or early 20s...good luck, because your body doesn't want to get rid of the size, you will be hungry as fuck and you wont lose much weight by fueling your cravings.

This dude knows what he's talking about.

You need to do low reps with high weight for strength and high and fast reps with looooow weights for explosiveness. Limit yourself to compound movements like snatches, cleans and presses, DLs, etc.
Apart from that skip rope and box a shit ton, your body will eventually decide which muscles it needs and which it doesn't.

It depends on the person. I don't do weight training at all. I still maintain 200-205 mass, and still am very lean (muscular arms, shoulders, back, etc). I do private boxing lessons twice a week, and then do gym work 2-3 times more. So generally I work out no more than 3-4 times a week in the gym, but work out 2-3 hours each session.

I am 6'5, 200-205. If I started to train for amateur fight (can't due to post-concussion issues, slipped on slick concrete RIP)I would up that training I do x2 and likely be as heavy as 215-220 maintaining a strong diet.

It just depends on the person/diet/body type.

yup.
i stopped lifting weights when i joined a gym.
your arms are going to be shot.
so i reserved them for combat instead of looks and strength.

Reminds me when i started working manual labor, everyone said i would lose size...quite the opposite i ended up gaining weight.

Its important that if you're trying to lose mass to keep your calories down, because no matter how much endurance training you do, if you keep fueling your cravings, you will grow or atleast mantain, but you will lose strength..which is bad, you don't want to be heavy AND weak.

I can't speak for others but the mass i built over the years does not want to leave my frame, i didn't go.to the gym for 3 months when i first started working labor and still mantained all my size.
My strength was a little less but it was back within two weeks.

So keep in mind that diet is most important

Endurance training is NOT bodybuilding training...regardless of calories...if you aren't training specifically for bodybuilding...you will lose size...endurance training burns way more calories than bodybuilding...so just eating the same calories, you're going to lose weight...but once you stop bodybuilding, you lose size rapidly.

layoff of lifting weights for a while.
you have to change your body composition.

it is more difficult to go from bodybuilding into a combat body than the other way around.

you got to give up the bulk look for a shredded look.

do a lot of running because it is going to relax your muscle if you are a stocky guy.

do explosive workouts. to mantain good shape.

fighter fitness is for war.
bodybuilding fitness is only for looks.
Awesome response shot bro !

lol if you have been in a boxing gym for 2 years ask your fucking couch not a bunch of people on sherdog

At 47yo, 20 year strength coach and 3 year Western Boxing -Im still trying to walk that tightrope of keeping some beach muscle and box. Not an easy task, especially if you like to Bench heavy as that directly takes away my snappy punch power. My gym is a Bench cesspool with probably over 30 guys hittin 3 plates for reps and a few 4 platers so its hard not to get caught up in their macho headgames - but being good at boxing is the better option imo so hang tough.

Do ALOT of mobility drills and dynamic stretches (between every set), Cleans, Squats (forspeed), plyometerics, Box Jumps, Deads, Overheads (not too heavy), Med Ball Slams, Cable Simulated Punches, External Rotations, Face Pulls - and Roadwork!!!

Good luck man

At 47yo, 20 year strength coach and 3 year Western Boxing -Im still trying to walk that tightrope of keeping some beach muscle and box. Not an easy task, especially if you like to Bench heavy as that directly takes away my snappy punch power. My gym is a Bench cesspool with probably over 30 guys hittin 3 plates for reps and a few 4 platers so its hard not to get caught up in their macho headgames - but being good at boxing is the better option imo so hang tough.

Do ALOT of mobility drills and dynamic stretches (between every set), Cleans, Squats (forspeed), plyometerics, Box Jumps, Deads, Overheads (not too heavy), Med Ball Slams, Cable Simulated Punches, External Rotations, Face Pulls - and Roadwork!!!

Good luck man
Same boat here haha, I'm 31 started bodybuilding, then crossfit, then tried doing some MMA and boxing, weight and muscle literally falls off, so I try do both and it's a fine line before over training.
Up your calories loads as well TS.

Okay yeah, so I'll be focusing on less weight more intense explosive quick reps, but awesome yeah with regards to the running I'll be doing most of my running in the mornings I have some great routes around my area so I'll be putting time into that and I have a couple different boxing bags at my house which I could use when I'm not in the boxing gym I go to
Sounds good. I went from a football training 6'2" 270 to 190 cut to 185 for mma
I thought having big legs would be a bit of a help, I don't mean like massive tree trunks. But like stockyish legs, I thought would help you have a firm base and generate good power, but I have to agree it's a fact most boxers I've watched have very small legs lol
It's a diminishing return. Sure it'll add some power but you'll lose a lot of foot speed, cardio, and overall size by having weight low. You'll be more power and more formidable with an extra 15 lbs in core, back, shoulders, chest than in your legs. Not to mention much quicker angles and movement

yup.
i stopped lifting weights when i joined a gym.
your arms are going to be shot.
so i reserved them for combat instead of looks and strength.

I don't wrestle or grapple yet, so I haven't personally felt the need for weight training. All of the top boxers at my gym, don't lift weights. I haven't noticed a lack of power, if anything I have more power due to more conditioning.

Hi guys
I just wanted to get some opinions and some advice to change my body and alter it to be conditioned for boxing I've done BJJ and a bit of boxing for about 2 years, however I haven't worried about my physique as I haven't had to compete or thought about taking either MMA or boxing seriously until recently. I'm looking at changing my 18 year old 6ft 2 220 LB frame to a frame more or less like Andre Ward. I'm not looking to compete in heavyweight I would prefer to compete in Super Middleweight - Cruiser Weight so in essence I'm looking to cut and get in prime condition for the ring, to be fair I have no idea where to begin so I would really appreciate any bit of feedback and positivity I can get to make this happen, I basically just want to always be in excellent shape so I don't gass and have to take breaks in my training because I'm battling to breathe, I want to just be able to take my boxing training to the next level and be in top competitive shape all year round
Getting conditioned for boxing is tough bro! But here are some pointers:
1. Join a proper boxing gym with proper boxing coach. Theres too much "striking" coaches that try to teach boxing these days.
2. Run often.
3. Give up your weight training, you want to be lean & fast.

You're probably strong enough as you are, no need for anymore weights. Start skipping, shadow boxing and hitting the heavy bag everyday (unless your body says otherwise) along with your regular boxing classes. Start working on your endurance with lots of long distance running and circuit training, and start eating less. If you are dedicated enough you should be able to lose a decent amount of weight

Stop building mass and start building endurance. And at 6 ft you should probably be about 200 max making a cut to 190 even with muscle.
Blanket statements like this are hilarious

Back