Changing From Bodybuilding To Boxing

Ninja From Pluto

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys
I just wanted to get some opinions and some advice to change my body and alter it to be conditioned for boxing I've done BJJ and a bit of boxing for about 2 years, however I haven't worried about my physique as I haven't had to compete or thought about taking either MMA or boxing seriously until recently. I'm looking at changing my 18 year old 6ft 2 220 LB frame to a frame more or less like Andre Ward. I'm not looking to compete in heavyweight I would prefer to compete in Super Middleweight - Cruiser Weight so in essence I'm looking to cut and get in prime condition for the ring, to be fair I have no idea where to begin so I would really appreciate any bit of feedback and positivity I can get to make this happen, I basically just want to always be in excellent shape so I don't gass and have to take breaks in my training because I'm battling to breathe, I want to just be able to take my boxing training to the next level and be in top competitive shape all year round

Here's some pointers

OndI5L3.gif

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

msui2ve.gif

Stop building mass and start building endurance. And at 6 ft you should probably be about 200 max making a cut to 190 even with muscle.

Stop building mass and start building endurance
I know that, but I'm asking where do I begin like excercising for a boxer what must I do differently do I stop weights completely ? What will change in dieting just like the rough background of the major changes.

Hi guys
I just wanted to get some opinions and some advice to change my body and alter it to be conditioned for boxing I've done BJJ and a bit of boxing for about 2 years, however I haven't worried about my physique as I haven't had to compete or thought about taking either MMA or boxing seriously until recently. I'm looking at changing my 18 year old 6ft 2 220 LB frame to a frame more or less like Andre Ward. I'm not looking to compete in heavyweight I would prefer to compete in Super Middleweight - Cruiser Weight so in essence I'm looking to cut and get in prime condition for the ring, to be fair I have no idea where to begin so I would really appreciate any bit of feedback and positivity I can get to make this happen, I basically just want to always be in excellent shape so I don't gass and have to take breaks in my training because I'm battling to breathe, I want to just be able to take my boxing training to the next level and be in top competitive shape all year round
I did the opposite, except i train for strength not size.
Anyway you need to box, that's the answer, you will slowly lose mass.

I suggest keep lifting though, just keep your reps low and.volume high (set wise) like a 5x5 even lower reps like tripples or dubs, to mantain your strength.

If you've been lifting for a long time especially in your teens or early 20s...good luck, because your body doesn't want to get rid of the size, you will be hungry as fuck and you wont lose much weight by fueling your cravings.

If you cut out bodybuilding your body will start to decrease in size naturally, ditch the higher rep and slow bodybuilding type motions and if you still want to do weights 2-3 times per week go for heavier more explosive moves at a lower rep range 3 and 5 rep max type stuff.
Your body will like be tight from bodybuilding for years so lots of mobility stuff too, check out Kelly staretts mobilitywod, and make sure to take it easy because bodybuilding tends to work slow twitch muscle fibres oppose to fast that you'll be needing in MMA, so there will be an adjustment period.

I know that, but I'm asking where do I begin like excercising for a boxer what must I do differently do I stop weights completely ? What will change in dieting just like the rough background of the major changes.

No I'd still lift weights. But I'm assuming as a body builder you're doing slow controlled iso's? That's useless in sports. 5-12 rep quick reps and end every workout with 30 min bag work and 30 minute treadmill for starts. You'll lose a lot of show muscle but you won't lose strength and your punching power William actually go up and obviously your endurance will be much better. But at 220 it'll probably take you 6 months to shed that stuff

Stop building mass and start building endurance. And at 6 ft you should probably be about 200 max making a cut to 190 even with muscle.
Okay
I did the opposite, except i train for strength not size.
Anyway you need to box, that's the answer, you will slowly lose mass.

I suggest keep lifting though, just keep your reps low and.volume high (set wise) like a 5x5 even lower reps like tripples or dubs, to mantain your strength.

If you've been lifting for a long time especially in your teens or early 20s...good luck, because your body doesn't want to get rid of the size, you will be hungry as fuck and you wont lose much weight by fueling your cravings.
Yeah I've been lifting for about 3 years, but thanks man I'll definitely take this into consideration going forward !

Ditch slow controlled movements, if you're going to do weights it needs to be explosive type stuff like power snatch, not full ass to the ground Olympic snatches, you explode to the overhead position.
If you're struggling with any of these moves find a local crossfit box and explain what you're training for, they're always helpful.

Okay

Yeah I've been lifting for about 3 years, but thanks man I'll definitely take this into consideration going forward !
If you've got big legs that'll be a huge area you'll lose weight at. Lots of boxers won't even do legs outside of calf workout and roadwork. You may notice that most boxers have chicken legs, trim waist, and larger shoulder/neck/chest/back

Step one is to actually join a boxing gym and ask your trainer, not guys on Sherdog.

If you're doing more endurance-based exercises as opposed to lifting weights all day, your body is going to adjust accordingly and naturally.

No I'd still lift weights. But I'm assuming as a body builder you're doing slow controlled iso's? That's useless in sports. 5-12 rep quick reps and end every workout with 30 min bag work and 30 minute treadmill for starts. You'll lose a lot of show muscle but you won't lose strength and your punching power William actually go up and obviously your endurance will be much better. But at 220 it'll probably take you 6 months to shed that stuff
Okay yeah, so I'll be focusing on less weight more intense explosive quick reps, but awesome yeah with regards to the running I'll be doing most of my running in the mornings I have some great routes around my area so I'll be putting time into that and I have a couple different boxing bags at my house which I could use when I'm not in the boxing gym I go to

If you cut out bodybuilding your body will start to decrease in size naturally, ditch the higher rep and slow bodybuilding type motions and if you still want to do weights 2-3 times per week go for heavier more explosive moves at a lower rep range 3 and 5 rep max type stuff.
Your body will like be tight from bodybuilding for years so lots of mobility stuff too, check out Kelly staretts mobilitywod, and make sure to take it easy because bodybuilding tends to work slow twitch muscle fibres oppose to fast that you'll be needing in MMA, so there will be an adjustment period.
Great stuff thanks man, okay fresh ! I'll definitely check them out, and yeah I bet if I had to stop training so hard in the gym with weights along with the training I do at my boxing gym and purely just focused on that training I'd be in a completely different boat here so yeah seems to be the common denominator here

If you've got big legs that'll be a huge area you'll lose weight at. Lots of boxers won't even do legs outside of calf workout and roadwork. You may notice that most boxers have chicken legs, trim waist, and larger shoulder/neck/chest/back
I thought having big legs would be a bit of a help, I don't mean like massive tree trunks. But like stockyish legs, I thought would help you have a firm base and generate good power, but I have to agree it's a fact most boxers I've watched have very small legs lol

Ditch slow controlled movements, if you're going to do weights it needs to be explosive type stuff like power snatch, not full ass to the ground Olympic snatches, you explode to the overhead position.
If you're struggling with any of these moves find a local crossfit box and explain what you're training for, they're always helpful.
Okay great stuff thanks for the help man !

Reminds me when i started working manual labor, everyone said i would lose size...quite the opposite i ended up gaining weight.

Its important that if you're trying to lose mass to keep your calories down, because no matter how much endurance training you do, if you keep fueling your cravings, you will grow or atleast mantain, but you will lose strength..which is bad, you don't want to be heavy AND weak.

I can't speak for others but the mass i built over the years does not want to leave my frame, i didn't go.to the gym for 3 months when i first started working labor and still mantained all my size.
My strength was a little less but it was back within two weeks.

So keep in mind that diet is most important

Back