Chandler signs with bellator

James Vick vs Justin Gaethje is a main event this weekend. You don’t think Michael Chandler is good enough for the UFC? Now I’ve heard of fanboys, but this is just bordering upon idiocy.
Both guys beat Chandler in my opinion. Chandler is a journeyman and outside his prime. If he wants to be a 5-10 ranked fighter - sure. But in Bellator he's top dog - a safer place for him.

You ask Will Brooks how his UFC career panned out. You know the guy that beat Chandler twice. Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't make me a "fan boy". I watch MMA across several organisations, I just say it how I see it. I'm not one of those anti-UFC types that is blinded by emotion like you are.

Both guys beat Chandler in my opinion. Chandler is a journeyman and outside his prime. If he wants to be a 5-10 ranked fighter - sure. But in Bellator he's top dog - a safer place for him.

You ask Will Brooks how his UFC career panned out. You know the guy that beat Chandler twice. Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't make me a "fan boy". I watch MMA across several organisations, I just say it how I see it. I'm not one of those anti-UFC types that is blinded by emotion like you are.
Why don’t we ask Eddie Alvarez how his career turned out in UFC? Or Alexander Volkov? Or Volkan? It’s very clear you don’t watch anything other than UFC if you make a comment like the one you posted above.

Why don’t we ask Eddie Alvarez how his career turned out in UFC? Or Alexander Volkov? Or Volkan? It’s very clear you don’t watch anything other than UFC if you make a comment like the one you posted above.
I watch plenty of Bellator and have done for some time. Big fan of Gegard and Rory plus I love the young talent Bellator is bringing through the ranks (Gallagher, Bandejas, McKee and Pico have bright futures ahead of them imo) - reminds me of the WEC days with all the bantam and featherweights tearing it up.

Volkov is a prospect but the heavyweight circuit has been less than impressive for years. Get a little run on and they'll give you a TS. Volkan - 2 fights in Bellator and left after a loss so I wouldn't use that to strengthen your argument.

Chandler is 32 and would want to go out on top not like Brooks. He'd know that and his legacy in MMA depends on it. It's a safe move and a wise one. I want to see the best fights but I don't see him getting anywhere near the top 5 in the UFC. I'd like to see Eddie and Chandler 3 but I think Eddie has improved more and takes it out.

Go sharpen your axe elsewhere - I've been watching MMA since the shamrock days and even enjoy watching Krause's fighters compete at KC fighting alliance events so I'm one of the last people that can be accused of being a UFC fan boy.

Last edited:
I watch plenty of Bellator and have done for some time. Big fan of Gegard and Rory plus I love the young talent Bellator is bringing through the ranks (Gallagher, Bandejas, McKee and Pico have bright futures ahead of them imo) - reminds me of the WEC days with all the bantam and featherweights tearing it up.

Volkov is a prospect but the heavyweight circuit has been less than impressive for years. Get a little run on and they'll give you a TS. Volkan - 2 fights in Bellator and left after a loss so I wouldn't use that to strengthen your argument.

Chandler is 32 and would want to go out on top not like Brooks. He'd know that and his legacy in MMA depends on it. It's a safe move and a wise one. I want to see the best fights but I don't see him getting anywhere near the top 5 in the UFC. I'd like to see Eddie and Chandler 3 but I think Eddie has improved more and takes it out.

Go sharpen your axe elsewhere - I've been watching MMA since the shamrock days and even enjoy watching Krause's fighters compete at KC fighting alliance events so I'm one of the last people that can be accused of being a UFC fan boy.
How is Volkov a prospect? He’s 30-6, has been Bellator champ, and has fought the toughest HWs out there. How is that a prospect? He’s one of the best HWs in the world hands down.

Volkan washed out of Bellator and started KO’ing ppl left and right in the UFC. How is that not strengthening my argument?

I agree Chandler is prob past his prime and he wouldn’t be champ in the UFC. But to say he’s not good enough for the UFC? That’s just noob talk and it makes it sound like you started watching mma in the McGregor era tbh.

Good for Chandler and Bellator.

But as a fan I really would've like to see him go to the UFC. I can think of a lot of great match ups I'd like to see with him in the UFC right now. In Bellator I can honestly say maybe a couple fights are interesting fights overall and some of them other things need to happen before we may actually ever see the match up and we all know how the MMA gods like to shit on us, not holding my breath.

Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire, for one, believes Chandler opted to stay put in order to avoid the stringent drug-testing procedures that a promotion company like the UFC is implementing.

“I’ve already said it before in interviews and tweeted about it: Chandler wasn’t going anywhere near USADA,” Freire told MMAjunkie. “He was just talking about the UFC as negotiation tactics. That guy is one of the biggest PED users in the sport.”

Nonetheless, “Pitbull” welcomes Chandler’s prolonged Bellator stint.

“I think it’s a good thing he stayed. That way my brother [Patricky Freire] can avenge his loss, and I can beat him up, too.”

Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire, for one, believes Chandler opted to stay put in order to avoid the stringent drug-testing procedures that a promotion company like the UFC is implementing.

“I’ve already said it before in interviews and tweeted about it: Chandler wasn’t going anywhere near USADA,” Freire told MMAjunkie. “He was just talking about the UFC as negotiation tactics. That guy is one of the biggest PED users in the sport.”

Nonetheless, “Pitbull” welcomes Chandler’s prolonged Bellator stint.

“I think it’s a good thing he stayed. That way my brother [Patricky Freire] can avenge his loss, and I can beat him up, too.”

Only reason why Pitbull is saying that about Chandler is because he’s still trying to get a fight against Chandler. Chandler brutally KOed Pitbulls brother, and Pitbull has been trying to pick a fight with him ever since. Chandler would kill Patricio.

Good for Chandler, since I'd imagine he's getting paid well in Bellator to stay.

Unfortunately, I think my dream fight of Chandler-Gaethje is sliding closer and closer to "Best Fights That Never Happened" territory :(

Fights for Chandler in Bellator, first and foremost, Brent Primus rematch, whenever Brent Primus is healthy enough to fight his usual once a year fight. Then Michael Chandler vs Saad Awaad, provided he beats Benson Henderson, would be a match up of hard punching Bellator veterans. From there a rematch with Patricky Pitbull Freire, who by then will have earned a rematch and the crap talking between Chandler and Patricky Pitbull would definitely sell their match up. And by then, who knows whay names will have popped up

i'm not in the least surprised. Chandler can make good money in Bellator being their star name fighting, for the most part, second-tier opposition. Given his propensity to take damage and suffer injuries, it's a smart career move that will benefit his bank account and his longevity.

Stil, from a competitive perspective, there's no doubt this is a shame. I wanted to get the chance to see Chandler in the cage against top-ten UFC lightweights to see how he would fare. Could he match what he did twice against Alvarez, or not? Now we'll never know.

While past Bellator lightweight stars such as Eddie Alvarez and Will Brooks fought out their contracts and moved on to the UFC, Michael Chandler re-signed with Bellator last week -- and did so without even talking to the UFC. "I was never in a non-exclusive negotiation period with Bellator," he said Monday on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show. Who does Chandler want in his first fight on the new deal? "Eddie Alvarez," he said. "He's done with his [UFC] contract. ... Everybody want to see that trilogy fight."

Mike should fight for his belt first. While Eddie fights a welcome warm-up like Benson and then the fight we want, MC/EA re-re-re-match

Back