Champion with no top 5 wins..

Edson Barboza was top 5 when he got smashed like a twig by Khabib. Michael Johnson I thjnk was either #5 or #6 when he got smashed like a twig by Khabib. RDA was not top 5 at the time but was on his way up and eventually became LW champ and defended his belt. To say he hasn’t fought anyone good is kinda retarded. They tried to make the fight between him and tony 4x so it’s not like Khabib doesn’t want to fight tony. It’s just cursed and bad luck but I’m sure they will fight eventually.

Jeez I said current top 5. People need to learn how to read.

There has never been a champion in the history of the sport who doesn' have a win over anyone in the top 5 at any point in there title reign.

Or maybe there is and I don't know

It's not Khabib's fault that Tony was wearing sunglasses inside like some kind of douche.

Never said it was, and pointed it out, never have I stated that Khabib is ducking anyone. Just that this is the first time there's a champion who doesn' currently have any top 5 wins.

It isn't to take anything away from Khabib as a fighter, its to highlight how many top guys there are, and that it' an exciting time to see which one is going to come out on top

No disrespect to Khabib, he's a great fighter and it's not as if he dimmed the light and set up a trip wire....

But is this the first time that a champion has no wins against the current top 5??

Either way, LW is by far the most exciting division at the moment, so many names in the top 10, and were just at the beginning, feels like LHW before Jon Jones took the belt, that it was being passed around like a basketball at Saturdays practice. Khabib does seem to have the most potential to have a long title reign out of the bunch, but there's so much work to do, cant wait to see how this plays out.

He has no top 10 wins outside Barboza. Al Iaquinta has been moved to rank 10 from ~13 after losing so I still consider him out the top 10

No one in the top 5 has had the balls to fight him yet, or even made it to the cage.

#stayready

If you make your entire division too scared to fight you, then you're the champ.

That's BS, plenty of guys have been asking for that fight, and he pulled out of 50% of his own fights so I have no idea what your talking about.

Also when you have a high pull out rate, nobody really wants to take the chance when they can fight a guy like Cerrone who shows up every time.

Nobody is scared of Khabib.

I don't give much for conditions like "current top 5"

Just cause RDA left the division doesn't mean a win over him doesn't hold up.
You simply must count the RDA fight as very big win.

Look at Ronda vs Miesha Tate, Sarah Silverman, ect. and then look at what happened vs Holms.

Without facing a variety of top competition it is not possible to properly gauge a fighters talent, this is why long title reigns are so important when we discuss GOAT's, we just don't have enough information to make a proper analysis.
4E12C541-1C54-408B-8F1F-F11DAC01E3BC.jpeg

Weren't MJ, Barboza and RDA in the TOP 5 when the fights happened?
In order: no, yes, no

MJ was #6 contender (AKA #7) and RDA was #5 contender (AKA #6). Barboza was ranked higher than either, but rankings don’t really matter (hi @Emjay !), RDA is Khabib’s best win and it’s a damned good win.

Khabib currently has the same number of top 5 UFC wins as Conor, namely one.

He wasn’t top 5 when Khabib beat him either. Great win either way.

You simply must count the RDA fight as very big win.

It has nothing to do with his record or his opponents, and is in no way say I g he's ducking anyone.

It' to highlight that a champion has not beat a single fighter in the top 5. LW division is very open right now, and we don't know if the champion is the best. Khabib is in a great position to prove it though.

Just an exciting time to see how the LW division plays out, pretty sure whoever comes out on top will be considered the GOAT LW.

In order: no, yes, no

MJ was #6 contender (AKA #7) and RDA was #5 contender (AKA #6). Barboza was ranked higher than either, but rankings don’t really matter (hi @Emjay !), RDA is Khabib’s best win and it’s a damned good win.

Khabib currently has the same number of top 5 UFC wins as Conor, namely one.

I think the RDA win is overplayed, bad stylistic match up, and I say that just because Guida beat him the same way and broke his jaw.

How does that ol saying goes...

A bird in hand is worth more than Mcduck in the bush?

I think the RDA win is overplayed, bad stylistic match up, and I say that just because Guida beat him the same way and broke his jaw.
Not really what I was getting at. Was more the point that even though RDA was ranked lower than Barboza at the time he fought Khabib he was obviously a better win.

That said, Khabib was a bad match for Barboza too. Edson looks great against guys who stay at any sort of distance.

Never said it was, and pointed it out, never have I stated that Khabib is ducking anyone. Just that this is the first time there's a champion who doesn' currently have any top 5 wins.

It isn't to take anything away from Khabib as a fighter, its to highlight how many top guys there are, and that it' an exciting time to see which one is going to come out on top

Barboza is currently ranked number 5 by the UFC rankings. He was ranked number 4 recently. His ranking will slide after his loss last night. Khabib can't control that the dude slid down the rankings. Micheal Johnson was #5 or 6 if I remember correctly. RDA was top 10 and ended up becoming champion less than a year later. RDA would currently be ranked in the top 5 if he hadn't moved to Welterweight.

In fact: RDA is currently ranked #2 (#3 counting the champion) in the Welterweight division.

So basically the premise of this thread is wrong.

Not really what I was getting at. Was more the point that even though RDA was ranked lower than Barboza at the time he fought Khabib he was obviously a better win.

That said, Khabib was a bad match for Barboza too. Edson looks great against guys who stay at any sort of distance.

I was talking current top 5 anyways. There has never been a champion who didn' have a win over any top 5.

Same, I'm still not sold on Khabib yet, he hasn't fought the tough match ups yet, hopefully he stays healthy and active so we can finally see it

That actually is kinda funny.

I think for most fighters this might stick out more, but Khabib is 26-0. That is a hard number to fuck with.
Khabib is a great fighter. No argument from me. But when none of those 26 are in the top 5 and few are even top 10, it's a little less impressive. In a stacked division, to reach the top and have zero top 5 wins is a bit ridiculous. Conor at least KO'd Eddie, who was the champ (and is still top 5 imo). Strange that Conor has more top 5 wins at LW (with only 1 fight at LW) than the guy who's 26-0 at LW.

But we'll see what happens when Khabib defends. Hopefully they make him fight a top 5 guy now.

But judging talent happens in a comparative manner, you can see a guy look amazing against cans, and then like shit against a top guy, look at Brock vs Mir 2, then look at Brock vs Cain or Overeem.

Look at Ronda vs Miesha Tate, Sarah Silverman, ect. and then look at what happened vs Holms.

Without facing a variety of top competition it is not possible to properly gauge a fighters talent, this is why long title reigns are so important when we discuss GOAT's, we just don't have enough information to make a proper analysis.

You just called a prime Frank Mir a can, and also Tate who finished Holm. Terrible examples.

You just called a prime Frank Mir a can, and also Tate who finished Holm. Terrible examples.

I explained later that Its common to see it happen frequently with up and comers beating lower tier fighters but then struggle and look like shit against top tier guys. Like Philip Never, like Sage Northcutt.

But we even see it against guys who just fought stylistically favorable match ups and look amazing, who then look terrible against unfavourble match ups. I really see this being the case for Khabib, I just don't see how he relies on his striking when his TD's aren't there.

No disrespect to Khabib, he's a great fighter and it's not as if he dimmed the light and set up a trip wire....

But is this the first time that a champion has no wins against the current top 5??

Either way, LW is by far the most exciting division at the moment, so many names in the top 10, and were just at the beginning, feels like LHW before Jon Jones took the belt, that it was being passed around like a basketball at Saturdays practice. Khabib does seem to have the most potential to have a long title reign out of the bunch, but there's so much work to do, cant wait to see how this plays out.
Johnson and Barboza were top 5, RDA?

Lol a JoshR86 thread

Back