Challenge: 100 Burpees + 100 Pull ups for time

sen2two

Bangarang!
@Yellow
Reaction score
I recently started doing 50 of each as a finisher to a workout and now I try to do the 100 of this daily because I liked it so much. Done it maybe 5-6 times at this moment.

The way I do it is a 1 for 1 basis. Meaning, 1 dead hang pull up. Then 1 complete Burpee with push up and small jump. Every 10 reps I change grip on the pull ups to try and get the most effective workout possible. But I doubt this effects time. I do Traditional pull up, Neutral Grip, Traditional with a square bar, Chin up with with the square bar, Ropes parallel to my body, and rotate. I feel this gets the most out of it... I also rotate from elbows in to elbows out every 10 push ups.

Anyways...

Rules:

Pull ups must be from a dead hang (No Kippup swinging crossfit crap)
*Any grip you like. This is just for fun. Make it challenging.
Burpees must have a push up and feet must leave floor at jump
1 for 1 rep, No banging out 10 of each or similar
*The effort of restarting is all apart of it.

My time so far: 20 Minutes 5 seconds

I havn't done it fresh yet. But I will this week hopefully.

I regularly do the 100 burpees for time, and I love it. Best time so far is 10:40

Back when I was younger I used to do 50 pull ups, regardless of how many sets it took me. I think I got the idea from Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding book. It definitely helped me get better at them.

Nowadays I'm 35 and have some shoulder and elbow issues, so I have to be careful not to overdo it on pull ups. But this thread has inspired me to give the volume training thing another look. I don't think I can do both on the same day, but I'd like to build my pull up numbers back up again, and this may be a good way to do it.

Cool. I will do this on Friday this week.

100 dead hang pull-ups continuously? That seems a bit far fetched. You're considered to have great upper body strength when you can hit 30, which is also the military's top PT tier. The most I have ever gotten was about 15 at my fittest.

100 dead hang pull-ups continuously? That seems a bit far fetched. You're considered to have great upper body strength when you can hit 30, which is also the military's top PT tier. The most I have ever gotten was about 15 at my fittest.

He alternates them- one pullup, one burpee. Etc.

Honestly, alternating one of each sounds tedious. I'd be more interested in time to do 50 or 100, any number of reps per set of each.

I probably gonna split them into sets of 20.

Or maybe just 10 for the later pull ups.

Yeah it's definitely broken up. For time usually means they take breaks as necessary. 100 pullups in a row without a break is probably impossible for 97% of the human population. I think the most I've ever done was 27 pullups, and that was when I was in top military shape.

There's a few ways to break up the pullup thing when doing it for time. You could do sets of 5 with rest in between. Or do them in doubles. Or tens. Rest until rested.

The idea of doing it 1 for 1 has a few reasons. Doing it in sets reduces it's function.

The most important one is doing 100 dead hang Pull ups is seriously hard or unachievable for most people. Including myself. Most cannot do 100 Burpees either.

Example, if your doing sets of 10, your form will begin to really die off at 50 and only get worse from there forward. You will not be dead hanging. You will be kipping and kicking your legs. You will start the set with a slight jump. You will be doing it wrong. Your Burpees will become sloppy. The push up will become half hearted. The jump will disappear. Etc...

Doing it 1 for 1 lessens the chance of your form going to shit. By resetting you get to take a breath and perform the rep correctly. It also adds to movement. It's sometimes easier to do things continously. Body in motion stays in motion. I find often the first rep to be the most taxing.

Also, if your doing continuous reps of each, the time will not be compatible. It takes time and effort to reset. The time for sets should be much quicker. But in my opinion, less effective.

I regularly do the 100 burpees for time, and I love it. Best time so far is 10:40

Back when I was younger I used to do 50 pull ups, regardless of how many sets it took me. I think I got the idea from Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding book. It definitely helped me get better at them.

Nowadays I'm 35 and have some shoulder and elbow issues, so I have to be careful not to overdo it on pull ups. But this thread has inspired me to give the volume training thing another look. I don't think I can do both on the same day, but I'd like to build my pull up numbers back up again, and this may be a good way to do it.

Bad shoulders.... I remember the first times I managed pull ups (in my 20s.. in school it was a requirement to be able to do them as part of PT and I got 0 every year). I digress. I have scar tissue around the shoulders and I thin kwhen I do a whole bunch of them after not doing anything, it inflames and goes over nerves then it's 2 weeks of physio. But like you, the first time I did like 50 (did them in sets of like 20, 10, 10, 5, 5) it felt awesome

Doing it 1 for 1 lessens the chance of your form going to shit. By resetting you get to take a breath and perform the rep correctly. It also adds to movement. It's sometimes easier to do things continously. Body in motion stays in motion. I find often the first rep to be the most taxing.

Doing as many as you can without correct form, then switching, will also have this effect.

I would say that the time is still somewhat comparable- since the same amount of work was done in the same amount of time. It is just that there is some room for being smart, and for working with the fact that you might be better over certain rep ranges.

At the end of the day, it's your thing... but if you want other people to try, I think that absolutely no one here is going to do 100 of each done as alternating singles. You might get some takers with 50 of each done in any combination of sets and reps.

The mere concept of " for time " is to allow each and everyone to break the sets/rests times as he pleases as long as he does valid reps ( or reps meetings the " standards " ) here perfect form pull ups...
The "for time but you have to break it down/ do it my way " makes no sense to me...
Different people will get their best results using different schemes and that's part of what makes a "for time" workout/wod/finisher interesting :
the strategic side...

I haven't done burpees since I stopped doing Muay Thai and I'd like to keep it that way, thankyouverymuch.

This workout, and versions of it, pop up in crossfit pretty frequently. It fucking sucks. Have fun

I would literally need all the time in the world.

Isn't a burpee+pullup known as a "GI Jane"? Or is that only when you jump into the pullup?

Our gym ocassionlly has a burpee sunday when everyone who wants to join gather for the 500 burpees challenge ..
I never join though haha
100 burpees is not a problem but 100 dead hang pullups sucks.

I use to do burpees to strict pull-ups before, but never tried a 100. I'm pretty sure I would have to do it at a very slow pace especially now a days.

Back