Chael Was Out-Striking Rampage

I was a bit surprised by Sonnen's striking too. He normally throws a one two and then shoots for the takedown. Basically the bare minimum to set up his shot. However against Rampage he threw some nice kicks and actually landed some hard overhands. He was quick and kept his defense tight. Chin down, hands up. Then there's the headkick attempt and flying knee, which I didn't see coming. Considering he did all this against a heavy hitter like Rampage was even more impressive.

On the flip side though, I've noticed since coming to Bellator that his ground and pound seems lacking. He used to be so intense and relentless with his ground and pound. See the Silva fights and the Marquardt fight. He kept really busy on top. But in his last few fights he has mainly just held position and work for a sub here and there. I'd like to see him turn up the heat from top position a bit more.

Glad he did the flying knee and not a spinning backfist......

No. I live in a world where fucking idiots who respond with "This is a sport you fucking idiot" exist.

And Brock DID beat Hunt.

I don't give a flying shit that he popped. He beat him and that won't change.

You can change the record books but NOT REALITY.

In fact, here is a reminder that Reality is Reality, dumbass :

serveimage
@Limbo Pete

I was wondering what that @LimboPete was. I'm guessing he wanted to bring this to your attention since he feels you like our conversations about Brock/Hunt. ;)

And Mark's hilarious in this picture.

I was wondering what that @LimboPete was. I'm guessing he wanted to bring this to your attention since he feels you like our conversations about Brock/Hunt. ;)

And Mark's hilarious in this picture.
Yeah it's a solid gif

Nope I do know he has a fuck ton of submission losses though

How many is a “fuck ton” ?

He’s been training under Fabiano Scherner (6’3 300lbs) for a few years and he lasted something like 16 minutes with Andre Galvao..... in my opinion, if you can last 16 seconds with Galvao, you must have some defense

I’m just pointing out that your assumption of Sonnen struggling with Mir’s size and high skill level of Jiu Jitsu may not be as big of a factor as you think

haha it looks soo sad that chael sonnen has beaten shogun, wand and rampage

well Rampage looked like shit like alot of us predicted. he is only there for a paycheck and guesses are he doesnt take his training serious anymore, even less then before i should say...

I had predicted Chael to win, but I expected it to be entirely via grappling. I was sure that if he didn't do his usual and take Rampage down right away, he'd lose. But in round one, Chael actually outstruck Rampage. Rampage was too slow. Chael even threw a high kick and a flying knee. I was very shocked by that first round.
Rampage has too much mass on him. There is a point where a fighter isn't as functional weight wise. Rampage needs go drop some mass. 15-20 pounds.... lhwt size

Rampage made Chael look like a volume striker à la Nick Diaz lol

I can't even put into words how absolutely frustrated I am with Rampage these last few years. He is basically fighting for paychecks and his training looks more like "dead-lifted everything in sight to my mouth at the buffet" than dead-lifted actual weights. He easily could've gone down as the best LHW if he had actually been motivated and gave a shit about fighting. The more and more he fights the more and more he becomes a joke because he's long stopped caring. The man who was out-wrestling Hendo now just topples over the moment someone even whiffs a takedown at him. Seriously, I've come across newer generation fans that say Rampage sucks and I just get sad. I just think to myself, "Man, if they could've seen him fight in his prime when he actually cared". As time goes on it just gets harder and harder to defend his once sterling record because of his clear apathy.

Brock did smash Hunt and Jones kicked DC's head clean off. Those are the facts.

How many is a “fuck ton” ?

He’s been training under Fabiano Scherner (6’3 300lbs) for a few years and he lasted something like 16 minutes with Andre Galvao..... in my opinion, if you can last 16 seconds with Galvao, you must have some defense

I’m just pointing out that your assumption of Sonnen struggling with Mir’s size and high skill level of Jiu Jitsu may not be as big of a factor as you think
9. 9 is a fuck ton.

Did you watch the Tito fight? It wasn't even that long ago where he was submitted by a larger grappler. You are placing a lot of emphasis on Scherner but training with him didn't save Sonnen from Ortiz who is a whole weight class smaller than Mir.

I've thought for a while that Chael had decent striking, but he almost never showed it. He'd go for a takedown right away, and usually get it. But parts of the Silva fight, Okami fight, etc he should decent hands. He was sharp in the first Silva fight. You can see when he stumbled Silva that he was moving his head after the punch. Probably from all those highlights of Silva ducking a punch then landing a hard counter.

But yes, I am a bit disappoint in his GNP intensity of late. I imagine part of it is to not exhaust himself, but he's been in 3 round fights lately.

While he definitely has done a lot more BJJ training than early in his career (even as a republican) I feel like Mir would have a good chance to submit him. His best bet for that fight might be to move a lot and box and try to tire Mir out. I like the Fedor match for Chael more.

Back