Chael Sonnen vs MIR/FEDOR winner

VIPERdude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Now that Sonnen advanced by dominating Rampage in all aspects, yes all aspects, Rampage landed nothing significant and Chael out boxed him despite having pillow fists.

Who would be the easier match up for the American Gangster?

I think Fedor actually. Mir submits Chael maybe even breaks a limb

DISCUSS

Now that Sonnen advanced by dominating Rampage in all aspects, yes all aspects, Rampage landed nothing significant and Chael out boxed him despite having pillow fists.

DISCUSS

I think Fedor's a GOAT, but Fedor. Stylistically, if Mir isn't way way way off his prime from his lay off.

Stylistically, both have a good edge on Sonnen. Of course, at this point in their respective careers, Fedor is the more favorable match up though.

While I'd expect his still explosive offensive striking to be enough (his decline into porous defense isn't as much as a liability against Sonnen), who knows at this point? Fedor is consistently finding ways to underwhelm in the twilight of his career. While a sub from his back is a great possibility as well, we haven't seen it in so long that it is becoming harder to envision.

Mir literally eats Chael though. It looks like he's cutting to make 265lbs at this point, and while that's a strain on his endurance, his submission style is tailor made to break someone like Chael; especially someone so much smaller. Not to mention that Mir has found a good bit of power in his striking that was absent early in his career - standing or on the ground, I'd expect Mir to have his way with Sonnen.

Chael mops the floor with either of them. I do hope it's Fedor, though.

I've heard Tank Abbott (who likes very few people) say that early in his career, a very small Chael shot a single leg and took Tank down in training

I like his chances against Fedor. Mir is a bad match up for him. He is huge and obviously one of the best submission guys in the sport, which is something Chael has struggled with in the past.

Props to Chael for taking part in the tournament. He's a middleweight going against heavyweghts, or LHWs. It's very hard to imagine him beating the likes of Mir, meathead, Nelson, Mo, Bader, etc. but he's got some big balls to try.

Fedor would kill any version of SONNEN and it won't be close.

Mir will destroy SONNEN and it won't be close......i hope sonnen pulls out and let's kongo in.

Sonnen won t beat anyone left in the tourney.

I want Fedor to knock out Chael so bad.

I could live with the 'can crusher' comments that would follow, as long as Fedor absolutely tooled Mir to get there.

My dream scenario would be Fedor tapping Mir (would be hilarious), smashing Chael, and then avenging the loss to Mitrione...but even the biggest Fedor fans can't believe that is a likely outcome. maybe if it was 2008, not 2018 :(

> MIR/FEDOR winner

Mir armbarred Tim Silvia in the first round and Fedor decisioned Ricardo Arona to get here.

Winner will face the winner of the winners of Wanderlei/Sakuraba and Miletich/Saunders in 2021.

cant believe we miight see Fedor vs Sonnen.

that would be hilarious.

If Sonnen fights Mir he's going to tap to a triangle again.

DISCUSS

I can see Chael wrestle**** Fedor.

I can't see Chael doing the same to Mir.

Is Chael better than Lindland? I’m not sure actually.

Stylistically, Fedor & Mir are a rough matchup for Chael. They both have KO power standing and subs off their back.

Historically Chael has problems with guys he can’t outwrestle or guys who can beat him from guard. I see Chael putting both guys on the ground, but I don’t think he stays there for 15 minutes without getting tapped out. He’s improved in his jiu jitsu over the years, but Fedor and Mir both shine on the ground

I would pack my things up and leave for good if Chael gets past the next round.

Back