Chael Sonnen: "That fight knocked years off Junior dos Santos' life and career"

Isn't it illegal for MMA fighter corners to throw the towel?

Yes, which is why the fight would be stopped. It would be counted as a DQ or forfeit by the fighter whose corner threw in the towel.

So ya, technically it's "illegal", but it still stops the fight, which is the point. I don't know if I agree or not though. I mean, how pissed would JDS be at his corner? Chael has no idea what sort of talks JDS and his corner had before the fight. Maybe he told them under no circumstances should they stop it. Maybe he still had confidence in his 1 punch KO power. Chael don't know.

Sorry Chael, Brazilians don't quit on the stool like you quit in round 5. Junior may have lost years off his life, but absolutely none of his honor. Big Nog traded an arm for a non tap, maybe you could learn a thing or two.

Honor? Rly? You think that the guys were in a duel or something? They are professionals, and their body is their tools of trade. To Allow a fighter to endure more punishment than he needs to endure is just shortening his career for nothing.

Remember, honor does not put food on the table.

It's the very illegality of the thrown towel that makes it work. DQ, NC, loss, what does it matter? The point is to stop your man from taking a beating after he's already lost.

And didn't JDS' guy say he is better than Cain post fight? I really doubt the dude even had it in his mind to stop it.

It's such a difficult position to be in for the cornermen, especially when it comes to fighters with that one punch ko power

It's such a difficult position to be in for the cornermen, especially when it comes to fighters with that one punch ko power

No it's not, what's so difficult about preserving your fighters career? It happens all the time in boxing, but I guess cornermen in MMA are too arrogant/hardheaded to stop a fight.

I don't get the difference between a DQ and a loss. Since a DQ counts as a loss...

Sorry Chael, Brazilians don't quit on the stool like you quit in round 5. Junior may have lost years off his life, but absolutely none of his honor. Big Nog traded an arm for a non tap, maybe you could learn a thing or two.

This is not only reserved to Brazillian , Stann forfeit a few years and his carreer for 5 mins of crowd cheering for him . Was it worth it ? for 5 mins yes , long term : Hell to the no .

I actually think Chael is at a all time low here. Just very disrespectful and full of it for his own cause. What's new?

So you hate Sonnen and JDS apparently sibnce you wish him even more harm .

Just bleed tough guy , just bleed ...oh wait you don't bleed you're an idiot keyboard warrior that has no clue about real life .

shit when wanderlei got kod by leben he said similar things about wands health being at risk and maybe its time to hang it up

shit when wanderlei got kod by leben he said similar things about wands health being at risk and maybe its time to hang it up

He's telling the truth. Wand has been brutally knocked out a shit ton. He gets chin checked in almost every fight he doesn't get KO'd.

If you think Wand doesn't have some abnormal brain activity from all of that then you're way off.

Only ignorant ppl can't see Chael and his antics for what they are.

Chael only speaks the truth!

fih1373243914652.jpg

Nog looks like buttered fuck as well. Dude looks like hes 65 years old. You have also witnessed Nog's chin degrade to nothing, getting stopped and KO'd. You've seen him pull of cards numerous times due to injuries. You've seen him get limbs snapped and outclassed on the ground. You've seen him lose fights and get dominated where at one point it should have been a win or a competitive fight.

That's what happens when you get in wars. That shit fucks you eight ways from Sunday taking a ton of unnecessary punishment. You don't pay the burden of these guys getting fucked up for life, not being able to do the things they once could do. Once this happens people like you will post how tragic it is and go on about their life willy nilly.

You sound like eleventeen year old, just bleed, ****. Brazilians tap, give up, run, and hell one just jumped out of the cage in the middle of a fight, just like anyone else does.

Junior cant do shit for his family with honor when he dies at a much younger age or is a fucking potato and has his wife and future children dressing him in the morning, changing diapers for him when he is 40. Grow the fuck up.

Nog looks like buttered fuck as well. Dude looks like hes 65 years old. You have also witnessed Nog's chin degrade to nothing, getting stopped and KO'd. You've seen him pull of cards numerous times due to injuries. You've seen him get limbs snapped and outclassed on the ground. You've seen him lose fights and get dominated where at one point it should have been a win or a competitive fight.

That's what happens when you get in wars. That shit fucks you eight ways from Sunday taking a ton of unnecessary punishment. You don't pay the burden of these guys getting fucked up for life, not being able to do the things they once could do. Once this happens people like you will post how tragic it is and go on about their life willy nilly.

You sound like eleventeen year old, just bleed, ****. Brazilians tap, give up, run, and hell one just jumped out of the cage in the middle of a fight, just like anyone else does.

Junior cant do shit for his family with honor when he dies at a much younger age or is a fucking potato and has his wife and future children dressing him in the morning, changing diapers for him when he is 40. Grow the fuck up.
We are making the mistake of thinking these guys see the fighters as anything more then video game characters who if they get beaten/broken you just choose a new character and move on.

we have literally had fans on this site say 'I don't give a fuck about the long term health consequences of other people...entertain meeeeee!'

The fight will probably result in long term brain damage for Dos Santos and may shorten his career. But as far as ending the fight when the fighter can't win who is to say when that is? If the fighter still has the will to fight why not let him continue? He's already risking his health by stepping in to the Octagon and there is a lot on the line.

A true warrior does not forsake his pride just because there is a risk to their health. They fight until they go out on their shield and that is what Dos Santos did. He even attempted a last minute standing guillotine choke which might have worked if Cain hadn't countered it by slamming his head on the ground.

The fight will probably result in long term brain damage for Dos Santos and may shorten his career. But as far as ending the fight when the fighter can't win who is to say when that is? If the fighter still has the will to fight why not let him continue? He's already risking his health by stepping in to the Octagon and there is a lot on the line.

A true warrior does not forsake his pride just because there is a risk to their health. They fight until they go out on their shield and that is what Dos Santos did. He even attempted a last minute standing guillotine choke which might have worked if Cain hadn't countered it by slamming his head on the ground.

This is not a video game or a movie man.

Chael cares about the well-being of JDS and his career. Another "Sonnen hates all Brazilians" myth busted.

You actually take Sonnen serious when he's on a rant?

We are making the mistake of thinking these guys see the fighters as anything more then video game characters who if they get beaten/broken you just choose a new character and move on.

we have literally had fans on this site say 'I don't give a fuck about the long term health consequences of other people...entertain meeeeee!'
+100. It's really quite a problem. I feel as though a lot of casuals in particular don't really understand that these fighters are actual people... I had someone on the BJ Penn FB page tell me that "fighters have been rocked and gone on to win!!!"... when it was pretty obvious after the second round that JDS had no hope of victory whatsoever.

I agree with Chael entirely.

Nope.

JDS could still win, right up until he fell on his face...

He also said that he had no clue what he was doing and didn't even remember he attempted the choke. I think it was rather clear that JDS had had enough after the third round. Maybe it was pride and stubbornness instead of will that kept him fighting? Either way, Junior had enough after the third, his cornerman should have seen it.

Back