Chael Sonnen : Frankie Edgar is the better fighter, but Brian Ortega is as tough as Nick Diaz.

Edgar vs Ortega....Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with Chael here.

Ortega is definitely a SUPER slick submission artist, but Frankie is legendary tough himself. Ortega ain't 'out-toughing' him, and Edgar has the conditioning and mental toughness to be in his face all night.

I do think Ortega has the ability to possibly catch Frankie in something, but I don't see him out-gritting him.

Thoughts?

tenor.gif

Ortega is definitely a SUPER slick submission artist, but Frankie is legendary tough himself. Ortega ain't 'out-toughing' him, and Edgar has the conditioning and mental toughness to be in his face all night.

I do think Ortega has the ability to possibly catch Frankie in something, but I don't see him out-gritting him.

Thoughts?

Nothing is impossible, but I’ve never seen Frankie even close to being caught in a submission.

Thoughts?

Being tougher than Edgar isn't possible but Ortega does seem like he has that dog in him also. Very curious about how Edar is gonna attack him. Feel like Edgar may have the advantage in most aspects but Ortega is dangerous everywhere. Smart money says Edgar UD

I got Edgar by Decision. I think Frankie will stick and move and stay away from the ground. I see Ortega having problems with Edgars speed. The only way I see Ortega getting a submission is in a scramble but I think Edgar will be able to limit the number of scrambles in this fight leaving only small windows of opportunity for Ortega. Ortega may steal a round and give Frankie a bloody nose most likely but this matchup favors the Answer.

Hasn't Ortega lost every round in every fight in the octagon?

Frankie easy Dec, maybe not as easy as Yair fight but pretty close

Ortega is such a great grappler that they forget how technically sound he is on the feet, he strikes like a striker, Frankie is a legend but i see Ortega finishing him, probably a knock out as i could never see Frankie tapping, you know when i think about it its crazy he never got finished while being outsized and fighting always the best. I just dont see where Frankie can impose his game, he is a good striker but Ortega is good and understands reach very well so i dont know, even grinding him on the ground could be hard as Ortega has great submissions.

Ortega been my boy since day one so I'm gonna have to vote for him, but the Frankie matchup is the hardest in the division for Brian, and I am nervous for him.

Ortega gonna finish Frankie.

Ortega is no Joke off his back. Only way I see Ortega winning is catching him in a guillotine when he shoots in or if he caches Frankie in a triangle

I believe Ortega has been underrated for awhile, but I don't think he's ready for Frankie

Edgar via Decision

Hasn't Ortega lost every round in every fight in the octagon?

Frankie easy Dec, maybe not as easy as Yair fight but pretty close
The size difference is the x factor here, imo.

I could easily see frankie winning this fight just like he did with yair, but i could also see it going the other way.

Ortega is huge, and one of these times frankie has to slow down a little, he's been in wars for years. I could see it being this fight, in which case ortega would land enough damage and/or stop enough shots to slow frankie down a little, and grind out the decision or catch a late tko or sub.

Again, not saying it will happen, just that ortega has the size and under dog hot streak in him atm, and if frankie comes in less than perfect, ortega could pull it off.

If your only hope is to finish or out tough Frankie Edgar...

you're fucked

Nothing is impossible, but I’ve never seen Frankie even close to being caught in a submission.

Bendo put him in a DEEP guillotine

But that was years ago and I don't think Frankie will need to grapple at all with Ortega where he needed to mix it up to be able to beat Bendo

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this fight ends early or goes the distance.

I'm a total badass at predictions.

I've always loved Frankie, but I'm going with Brian Ortega. He will dethrone Max as well if he beats Edgar.

Going with Edgar because he is always consistent in ever match, I also don't see Ortega capitalizing on the small openings that Edgar is going to give to him.
Definitely going to a decision.

Back