Chael Sonnen compares GSP getting titleshot at 185 to Conor McGregor getting titleshot at 155

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Also says if Jon Jones decided to move up to Heavyweight, nobody would say no. I guess from this perspective it makes sense- its just unfortunate how the timing has played out and that Bisping is a relatively inactive champ at the moment and blatantly avoiding Yoel

Sonnen vs Shaub for the title of saltiest wannabe failed champ title.

Fuck off Chael. McGregor just KOed an all time great in Aldo, and has set PPV record after record. I'm no McGregor hugger, but Chael is out there on this one given how long ago GSP fought.

Sonnen is the smartest dumb guy in the history of fistic combat sports.
Conor can beat everyone at 155.Gsp can't beat everyone at 185.

The comparison and reference is ridiculous. 155 is Conors rightful weight class.185 is not Gsp s rightful weight class.

Chael certainly knows a thing or two about unwarranted title shots that's for damn sure.

He made the same comparison to jones going up to HW or TJ going dowm for MM

No, i dont agree, its not the same scenario. Both HW and FLW has shit for contenders, so why not, they need the extra meats in there.

MW needs new contenders like i need a 2nd asshole. GSP can come back to WW and get a title shot, but for MW? Id rather see just how he does against someone not the champ 1st.

Sonnen vs Shaub for the title of saltiest wannabe failed champ title.
sonnen deosent seem salty at all to be honest, he always praise the guys that beat him and even the ufc, he legit sounds like a paid ufc shill

and lets be honest, he made millions in his career,not reasons to be too salty

Difference is: Conor has fought and held a regional title at 155. People actually wanted to see how McGregor would stack up against Alvarez or Dos Anjos.

Nobody wants to see Bisping vs GSP

They both don't deserve it. Back in the day people used to foam at the mouth at the idea that two champions with multiple defenses under their belt would fight each other to see what would happen. That folks is a super fight.

Conor Mcgregor just won the belt.

GSP: Although he was a great champion with many defenses under his belt, he was retired for 3 straight years and it's going on 4 years of inactivity. If GSP was still the WW champion and he wanted to face Micheal Bisping right after Yoel, I am all for it.

are there differences? is it a perfect analogy? no. most aren't.

is the point that both didn't deserve the title shot and got it anyway due to PPV sale-ability? yes.

to borrow an old boxing saying: it's harder to earn a title shot than win it.

If Jon jones moved up that would be different. Stipe has taken out every contender that was given to him

Sonnen is the smartest dumb guy in the history of fistic combat sports.
Conor can beat everyone at 155.Gsp can't beat everyone at 185.

The comparison and reference is ridiculous. 155 is Conors rightful weight class.185 is not Gsp s rightful weight class.
Lol @ Colin beating everyone at 155, why doesn't that fucking bum prove of then? Til then he's just a fucking duck.

Also says if Jon Jones decided to move up to Heavyweight, nobody would say no. I guess from this perspective it makes sense- its just unfortunate how the timing has played out and that Bisping is a relatively inactive champ at the moment and blatantly avoiding Yoel

Sorry chael...you're wrong....gsp isn't a world champion. gsp hasn't fought in like 3 years. conor was the current FW champion, moving up to make history...and he did just beat the #5 ranked diaz. So ya, it was a bit fast, but all the times conor fought on short notice, I think the ufc owed him one...bottom line is, he won the fight...so all the "he didn't deserve it" goes out the window when you win.

They're retarded for opposite reasons. GSP is a dominant champion that went off the reservation for years. Conor is a brand spanking new champion with no such history of domination.

It's not at all like Chael getting a title shot against Jones after 0 LHW wins in 8 years, so he should know.

GSP and Jon Jones cleaned out their division. Still doesn't warrant GSP to get an immediate title shot at MW. However, if Jones wasn't such a fuck up, there would be no problem with him moving up to HW and challenging for that belt.

McGregor on the other hand got an immediate title shot after never defending the FW title and going 1-1 with someone not even in either division.

The the UFC has stopped greats like Jones, Silva, GSP, and Aldo from moving up and challenging for other titles and these fighters are cleaning house. But Mr. I Never Will Defend My Title gets a immediate title shot then gets to run away to boxing. Go figure.

sonnen deosent seem salty at all to be honest, he always praise the guys that beat him and even the ufc, he legit sounds like a paid ufc shill

and lets be honest, he made millions in his career,not reasons to be too salty

Not winning first title against Anderson because of small mistake.
And being humuliated in the second fight.
Fucked up big time on Celebrity Apprentice too.

On the other hand he really did a lot. Nether fails only those who do nothing.

Back