Chael Sonnen calls to end five round MMA fights

There's extra time for important soccer matches

Love Chael but shut up man, I love five rounders

I know bro,

People talk about Saku vs Royce as a classic but for most of it, fi not all it was a shitshow.

I just like the idea of bros fighting to the death - almost.

Fair enough. Yeah, Royce/Sakuraba was fun to watch once at the time cuz no one had ever done that to Royce before, but the novelty factor has long since expired and I'm not interested in watching guys fight at a tepid pace for over an hour. At all.

I understand your overall sentiment, though. Fewer rules, more action, just bleed, etc.

He never “called an end” to five rounds. He suggested we revisit the idea. There’s a difference.

You guys are full of so much drama.

How do people feel about this? After watching the video, he has an interesting take on it.

I feel like people who watch Chael videos should be shot dead in the streets.

...why do you feel this way? Have you ever competed for ten minutes? Ten minute rounds are horrendous.
I haven’t competed in 10 minute rounds, but I think it would separate MMA from the boxing/kickboxing style of rounds. MMA tried to mimick a lot of how boxing worked to get it approved by the mases and make it seem like a legit sport.

I think we are passed this now and we deserve our own “identity” when it comes to the length of rounds. A 2 minute break between rounds would be a must in my opinion.

This won’t ever happen though. I’m just putting it out there.

I haven’t competed in 10 minute rounds, but I think it would separate MMA from the boxing/kickboxing style of rounds. MMA tried to mimick a lot of how boxing worked to get it approved by the mases and make it seem like a legit sport.

I think we are passed this now and we deserve our own “identity” when it comes to the length of rounds. A 2 minute break between rounds would be a must in my opinion.

This won’t ever happen though. I’m just putting it out there.

Five minutes is a significant increase over boxing already. Ten minutes is brutal. It would also require a complete overhaul to the commission rules, which is highly unlikely to occur. But that isn't what I was responding to - merely that fighting for ten minute rounds is inhuman. I know Pride did it, but it was only for round one.

I’d love two 10min rounds non title fight and three 10mins rounds for title fights/main events.

That could make things long.

It’d be hard to plan scheduling of when the undercard ends, when the prelims end, and when the main event starts.
Fair enough. Yeah, Royce/Sakuraba was fun to watch once at the time cuz no one had ever done that to Royce before, but the novelty factor has long since expired and I'm not interested in watching guys fight at a tepid pace for over an hour. At all.

I understand your overall sentiment, though. Fewer rules, more action, just bleed, etc.

In a no time limit format, Dan Severn and Kimo would probably still be fighting.

In a no time limit format, Dan Severn and Kimo would probably still be fighting.

An absolute MMA masterpiece. When the Japanese are booing you, you know you screwed up. Severn's celebration at the end was by far the most action-packed thing that occurred in that garbage encounter.

Yeah, five round fights suck

Three rounds for title fights
Two rounds for non title

10-5-5
10-5

I agree with ending 5-rounders. I don’t think fighters should have to focus so much attention on cardio.

If I made the rules all fights would only be 1 Round that lasts 5 minutes and that’s it. Also all fights that are close and go to decision are draws. You have to clearly have won the round in order to have won it. If it’s up for debate who won then it’s a draw straight up.

It is interesting. After all:

- The world series doesn't have games go to 15 innings because it is the "main event" of the sport.

- The super bowl doesn't have six quarters.

Yes, I know boxing's title fights go 12 rounds, whereas non-title fights go 10 (or 8, 6, 4). But, it really doesn't have to be that way.

when Chael talks, I usually tune out.

Or even better, never listen in the first place.

Back