Chael Sonnen calls to end five round MMA fights

3 rounds is too little even for normal fights, unpopular opinion I know but would like to see 5x3min rounds for regular fights and 10x3min rounds for title fights

I like eating chocolate cake. I do not want to eat chocolate cake for 25 minutes.

I’ve never eaten chocolate cake in under 25 minutes. My satisfaction must be prolonged.

I rather see 10min rounds than 5min rounds. or no rounds. it's bullshit when fighters do stuff at the end of the round just to get points

How do people feel about this? After watching the video, he has an interesting take on it.

They should have a MUST FINISH single round format.

The fighters go until one is finished, or taps out. Fights won’t be going for 25 Minutes I’ll tell you that.

I think he makes a well argued case and I would not at all miss 5 rounders if they were dispensed with. 5 rounders can be great because the guys that headline or fight for titles tend to be great, but the format of that fight doesn't add a great deal of excitement or prestige in itself.

It doesn't really make sense that people at the top of the card should suddenly have to fight under different rules to all the other fights that got them to that stage.

This is especially relevant when every other week some guy is pulling out with serious injuries or taking lengthy gaps between fights. Having to train regularly for 5 round fights must be absolutely gruelling and long-term damaging

25 minutes is absolutely brutal for MMA. I don't even understand how these athletes can handle it. Even wrestling for HALF that is exhausting. Probably why championship fights are so boxing oriented, that's what takes the least amount of energy.

A 5 round fight is the Natty's last line of defense against steroid users.

Sure, lets hear what a known juicer has to say on the subject!

Pride did it right. 10-min first round. Also the option for an extra round if it's a draw and you need a winner. The 10-minute round while both are fresh leads to more tense moments and faster action. Then to see if they can come back in round 2. It's perfect.

Five 5-minute rounds with the breaks and clock-based takedown planning makes it too damn long and more predictable. 3 is enough. Faster pace and gets the snoozers out of the way quicker.

When Chael speaks, all must listen.

Bow to the American Gangster!!!

Anything resembling a human being you have to say, or you will be yapping like a brainless piece of shit?

What are you even saying? Is English your second language?

I have a hard time taking anything he says seriously. His credibility is shakey at best. He may have a few opinions that are legit, the he goes full wrestletard trying to promote himself.

Get rid of 5 rounds
Get rid of 3 rounds

No rounds
Just a 20 minute time limit

Just get rid of rounds and time limits.

Eventually someone will lose consciousness due to damage or gassing really hard.

Or it will be a boring, never-ending snooze fest that goes on for over an hour with nothing of merit happening. Pride and the UFC tried something very close to this in their early days and as a result we were treated to classics like Shamrock/Severn II and Renzo/Kikuta. When Renzo managed to catch Kikuta in a guillotine after an hour of shit, Quadros actually said, "Thank GOD!!!". Time limits and rounds are absolutely essential to prevent fights like Wonderboy/Woodley from lasting the better part of a week.

Or it will be a boring, never-ending snooze fest that goes on for over an hour with nothing of merit happening. Pride and the UFC tried something very close to this in their early days and as a result we were treated to classics like Shamrock/Severn II and Renzo/Kikuta. When Renzo managed to catch Kikuta in a guillotine after an hour of shit, Quadros actually said, "Thank GOD!!!". Time limits and rounds are absolutely essential to prevent fights like Wonderboy/Woodley from lasting the better part of a week.
I know bro,

People talk about Saku vs Royce as a classic but for most of it, fi not all it was a shitshow.

I just like the idea of bros fighting to the death - almost.

They should have a MUST FINISH single round format.

The fighters go until one is finished, or taps out. Fights won’t be going for 25 Minutes I’ll tell you that.

Nick Diaz would never have lost by decision
Welterweight GOAT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back